My Story (Very long read and pics)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Thanks for that story! Read the whole thing.

That's actually like the first phrase my kids learn. 'Oh well, it could be worse' and they know what that means.

BTW Did you go to Houston? I hear their like the best in the Country @ Diagnostics.

Also I understand about going to dozens of Dr's and getting no answer. I've self diagnosed more **** in my family than any Doctor ever has. They only have the power to write prescriptions.Pisses me off. My wife was dealing with stomach issues for over a year and her Doctor ran her around for months on in. Finally we stop going to him and they called like 9 MONTHS LATER asking where we were. We told them we went to anther Dr who ordered a Cat Scan right away and got her fixed up, Thanks but you'll never see us again Assholes! That whole time we were telling the Dr what we thought it was and that a CAT Scan would show it, no he wanted to do every single little procedure and test working up the bills to the CAT Scan. Now I know about starting small and running certain test in order and all that, I do, but this was more than that. Plus it was taking like 3 months a test while my wife was in pain. The new Dr. said all those test were unnecessary and limited in scope. The CAT Scan would give the same info as the minor test and more, so doing it first would have solved all these problems from the start.

Dr.'s and Politicians....there's some good ones out there but they seem far and few between.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    Wow, thanks for all of the replies and good words. It has surely been a long, tough road. Like I said, I am always improving, no matter how slow the progress is. It's just when I have a bad day or few days, it always feel like I am going backwards. It always ends up getting better. When you are as bad off as I was it is very hard to stay positive but I had to. I had insurance and a wonderful job and boss. Without those, there is no doubt in my mind that I would have died.

Not trying to sound conceded, but I also had the intelligence to research my medical records. I bought anatomy books and studied anatomy. I sent a 90 page preemptive package for that artificial disc because insurances do not cover them. It took them two days to okay it. If you look at that xray, you will see as small screw to the left of my spine pointing backwards. That was a screw that the surgeon dropped in my neck and sewed up. It was missed on three separate CT scans and in that X-ray. I found it and had the brain surgeon fly me back to denver and remove it on his dime. I just remember being so thankful that I was able to do all of those things because in addition to helping me, it kept me focused on something other than the pain. I would think about those who maybe couldn't read an MRI report or did not have insurance and I just had to be thankful for what I had and could do.

I have seen over 60 doctors all over the country. Out of those I can honestly say there were only 3 or 4 who even gave a ****. Most were just get him in, get him out, get paid. Two of them are here in Lafayette and the other two are in other states. Our health care system is broken and after going through the ringer I know for a fact, each part of it is to blame. Insurance companies are quick to deny service even when they are supposed to pay in hopes that you won't dispute it. Doctors order thousands of dollars of tests and procedures in facilities that they part own that aren't needed. And hospitals charge thousands of percents over what anything costs. I don't want to start a new debate here because I have no idea how to fix it. The only thing that I know is that it has to start with the runaway cost of health care, not forcing people to get insurance.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the good words. I woke up today feeling much better than I did the rest of this week so I am going to take advantage of it and bring my family to lunch.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Damn. I don't know what to say. I do know that you will be in my prayers and thanks for sharing that with us the more prayers for you the better.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Hang in there!
    I can't say I know what you're going through but I have dealt with back pain from a car accident that changed my life drastically from what I had imagined.
    You will be in many prayers by people that don't really know you so don't give up yourself.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/member.php?27863-jchebert1979jchebert1979, your story is inspiring and humbling. Thank you for sharing it. I pray that the day comes soon when you will wake up and be able to enjoy all of life without the pain. Whether you're a Christian or not, certain passages have always helped me through those moments when I needed to know that better times were ahead.

"Grain must be ground to make bread; so one does not go on threshing it forever. Though he drives the wheels of his threshing cart over it, his horses do not grind it." - Isaiah 28:28

The finest flour is that which has been ground the longest. Hang in there man.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Read your post this morning and it has been on my mind all day, while I struggled to find the right words of hope.

Job, too, suffered unimaginably. Not only did God heal him and restore him, but He blessed Job even greater than before. Take heart, my friend. God's hand is upon you. The proof is in the magnificent people he has placed around you at work, that have protected you.

Give thanks for the healing that is coming to you because, "by His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:4-5

225todd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Wow man. I am glad you have a strong will and determination to not just lay back and accept what they told you. I can't really relate to your story in any way, but when I have one of those days when nothing is going right I heard a saying that I like to keep close. "Not every day is a good day, but there IS good in every day". Not sure who said it or if it's even the correct quote, but it helps me. Hope you get through this sooner than later!! Prayers sent and stay strong.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    My adult daughter had surgery for Chiari in 2006 so I understand some of what you have gone through. Her surgery was done in New York on Long Island. It was a long, painful road to diagnosis for her as well. She is now much better and she's working as a surgery nurse. Stay strong and keep up the fight.

jchebert1979

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    My adult daughter had surgery for Chiari in 2006 so I understand some of what you have gone through. Her surgery was done in New York on Long Island. It was a long, painful road to diagnosis for her as well. She is now much better and she's working as a surgery nurse. Stay strong and keep up the fight.

I checked those guys out however, I didn't like the fact that they do not accept insurance. Those two top doctors make over 10 million each a year. I understand that doctors need to be paid well for their expertise however, I feel like they are taking advantage of the suffering. I do know that they are the best of the best though. When I researched it, them and a doctor in Denver came up as the go to guys. I chose the one that accepted insurance. I am glad to hear that she is doing much better. The condition is grossly underdiagnosed and treated. Unfortunately for me, I had many other factors causing my pain.

jorawil

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    B.R.,La.
    May god tahe care of you. I went thru something similar but lower spine only. Three years sleeping in recliner. Nine years ago and still not over.j

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    My Nephew was not thriving and was getting sick and had headaches.. He Has chiari and I have watched him try to articulate his pain as a young person..
    I appreciate your story and struggle and thank you for sharing..
    I will pray for you and your family.. Keep on keeping on, Man and know there are others out here who care and pray..

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    God Bless you man. I was injured and in an instant....my life as I knew it ended. What has kept me going is the fact that someone is always worse off. I tell myself...."To be thankful, because it could be worse. "

Even after I first was injured....I would look around the hospital room and there were a couple of people who were much worse than I was. It's not much...but it is what puts things in perspective for me.
    Hang in there and thanks for sharing. Like I said....these are the things that keeps me in check. Thanks again.

Swampwood

Long Term "Newbie"
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   1
    Feb 9, 2010
    Northshore Area
    JC, may God grant you healing, peace, comfort during this trial and His salvation from the Savior Jesus Christ, who bore our sins on the cross and gained victory over death the third day so that all that believe in Him would not perish, but live forever with Him.

Never give up, He will give you strength and by the sounds of it you are most definitely a fighter, one who endures! Reading your post has added to my joy as I watch my son fight a similar fight as yours, bravo my friend and may you be Blessed...

Hot Pepper

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Pearland,TX
    That is a touching story, many of us take for granted the simple things in like! Take care man, holler in you need anything in the Lafayette area.

brfd557

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I did read all as well, hang in there you're one tough cat and you have to keep living for them and you! Trust me you are not alone living in this type of pain. I am one of the lucky individuals who has bouts of cluster headaches, most people are not familiar with these headaches and try to relate them with migranes, not even close and its frustrationg when no one can relate.!! They have been described in as the most severe pain known to medical science and have been named suicide headaches for a good reason! I (knock on wood) havent had a cluster of them in about 2 years BUT there is many people that have cronic CH's every day every couple of hours and their lives are in complete shambles living around the pain like you describe. Have you tried to find any support groups for this condition, I know it helps when you have someone to talk to that can relate to your condition. Will keep you in the prayers!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom