My wife needs...............

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    a class on shooting a shot gun. I bought her a youth model Remington single shot 20G.
    She want's to learn to shoot it and I'm not the person to do that. I'd like her to have a formal class or something close to it.

Any ideas ?

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    She is new , as in never shot one befor. ever.
    I don't think she'd do well in a class like that. She would do great in a one on one situation.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    you don't think you could get the basics of gun safety and shooting a stationary paper target done with her? That would be the first step, she needs to understand the gun then just have something to pump full of lead until she feels comfortable with it.

Are you looking just to introduce her to guns or is this intended to be more in depth like hunting or tactical/ protection uses?

Are you a member of the NRA? perhaps contact their local people and see what type of basic shotgun class they have available

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    you don't think you could get the basics of gun safety and shooting a stationary paper target done with her? Gun Safety we have covered, but I'd rather have her get with someone else to teach form and technique. That would be the first step, she needs to understand the gun then just have something to pump full of lead until she feels comfortable with it.

Are you looking just to introduce her to guns or is this intended to be more in depth like hunting or tactical/ protection uses? She expressed an interest in shooting sporting clays. She is out of shape so a pump was just too heavy for her, so I bought a single shot youth model that seems to fit her well

Are you a member of the NRA? perhaps contact their local people and see what type of basic shotgun class they have available

PANGRIS has offered to take her to the range, thanks again !

Yes, I could take her out myself. We've gone out shooting my pistols a few times and she had a good time. I've got enough of them she could find some that she enjoyed shooting. However I want her to enjoy shooting a shoot gun. Teaching a spouse to do that is not for me. We get along great. I'd like to keep it that way and want her to try it again

greg t

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    NOLA area
    at least your wife wants to learn ... mine grew up in illinoisistan :rolleyes:

ETA: my point is simply you should consider yourself lucky and help her pursue and nurture her education at all costs!

Last edited:

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    at least your wife wants to learn ... mine grew up in illinoisistan :rolleyes:

ETA: my point is simply you should consider yourself lucky and help her pursue and nurture her education at all costs!

Let me tell you, I am fully aware of how lucky I am. She is very left of center on a lot of things. Very anti hunting, not anti guns,just hunting.

The first time she ever came to my house I had given her a key and told her to let herself in and get comfy as I was going to be late getting home.
    She gets there and proceeds to check the place out. Well when she opened the garage door and turned on the light there were two 300 lb pigs hanging from the rafters. Needless to say, she was waiting on the front porch when I got home. But she never left ! :rofl:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    maybe its just the ones I have, but I have some single shot 20gauges that are a beast to shoot, very snappy due to light weight. might want to make sure she is comfortable shooting it first.

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Agreed. One of the main "bad" things we see on the clay bird fields is a father who buys a too-big shotgun with too much recoil for his young son. The kid gets beat to **** and quickly loses interest.

Trust me on this: I've got a LOT of experience training females. If anything is the least bit uncomfortable or annoying about her outing, you'll be VERY lucky to get her out a second time.

Which is why "I" am not going to teach her at first.
    Was kinda hoping I could find some "low base" loads for her

Or something anyway

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Why not just buy a spare stock for your gun for now until she gets the hang of it? They're not that hard to change.
    Teaching your wife anything can be difficult! Better to let her be mad at someone else, someone who doesn't plan on sleeping with her this week!
    Dove/quail loads are usually light and cheap.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I put a ton of shells through a remington 1187 (I think) 20ga in the dove fields when I was a kid, that was a great shooting gun and an 1100 or the like would probably be a good idea for her. Gas guns are alot more recoil friendly for first time shooters.

My fiance loves shooting handguns, because her first handgun experience was with me shooting a gun she found manageable and with proper instruction. She has a shotgun phobia because some jackass handed her a 12gauge once and didnt teach her the proper way to shoot it.

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    My fiance loves shooting handguns, because her first handgun experience was with me shooting a gun she found manageable and with proper instruction. She has a shotgun phobia because some jackass handed her a 12gauge once and didnt teach her the proper way to shoot it.
    the first shotgun I handed my girlfriend was a model 1100 youth 20 ga., when we hit the dove field I handed her my model 878 (predecessor of the 1100) 12 ga... she said, "that hurts" :rofl:
    now that we've been together over a year I have a 870 super mag for myself and I'll borrow my dad's pride and joy 12 ga. 1100 for her to shoot.... my old 878 Automaster kicks like a mule and will ring your ears for 2 days, the 1100 is an absolute pleasure to shoot afterwards.

she loves shooting my G26, she hates my titanium j-frame

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    You are hosed, rockmup. Truly. She is going to LOVE the 391; better start saving now.

I don't mind spending the dough if she enjoys it

I guess I should tell you that pangris is an evil man. He has a way of presenting ideas and notions that makes you WANT to buy the $10,000 lead-lined casket. The guy has cost me THOUSANDS in the short time I've known him.

OTOH, he is a good instructor and knows whereof he speaks. I've learned a few things from him.

No free lunch, pal... Your wife gets an excellent intro into shotgun shooting, and you get to lay out large for her gun...:rofl:

BTW, I feel your pain. I'll be in your shoes soon, as MY wife has indicated an interest in clay shooting. And I will have pangris do the initial honors, because like you said; spouses don't make good teachers.

Well so much for my thinking I had a good idea. Guess I should have consulted the powers that be beforhand. DOH !!!

Thanks guys for all the advice

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Holy crap, to be honest, I hadn't even read the type of gun - just saw "needs a shotgun class" and said, well, whadda ya know.

And that right there sports fans is why i'm not teaching her.
    I think like a man.

Well, fair warning, we are going to start out with my wifes (soft shooting) Beretta 391 20 ga Urika. Prepare to have her say "I want one like that"... but we can work with what you have.

Yeh, I looked at the prices for those. Very doable if she wanted one

Top Bottom