NAACP Wants to Get Rid of BRPD Union.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    After Baton Rouge Union of Police leaders launched a billboard campaign last year criticizing the police chief and his administration, the Louisiana NAACP is responding with competing signage overlooking a major local thoroughfare.

While union leaders have expressed several viewpoints with their signs — including advocating for higher wages, bemoaning the high homicide rate and calling for better department leadership — the NAACP has a single demand: cancel the BRPD union contract.

A digital billboard posted Wednesday morning alongside Interstate 10 near College Drive invites people to visit a new website: www.endthecontract.com.

"Fix police union leadership," the sign says. "The time is now."

BRPD reorganization, pay increase reignite battles between police chief and union leaders
    NAACP leaders argue the union contract serves to validate an institution that has pledged unwavering support to officers accused of serious misconduct. The group emphasized being generally supportive of labor unions, but against what they consider poor leadership at the BRPD union.

"Union leadership has consistently defended the wrongdoing of bad officers," said Eugene Collins with the Baton Rouge NAACP. "We believe that canceling the union contract will make officers behave better."

The new billboard comes amid a widening corruption probe focused on the BRPD narcotics division, where two detectives were recently arrested and four supervisors were transferred, effectively cutting the division in half. East Baton Rouge prosecutors have already dropped charges against more than a dozen defendants with ongoing cases that hinge on testimony from the arrested detectives.

Alleged corruption in BRPD narcotics unit includes stolen drugs, illegal searches, planted evidence
    Several months ago, the union treasurer — an officer with two decades of experience on the force — resigned from the department after other union members alerted the BRPD administration to a series of racist messages he posted on a local blog. He had been elected treasurer after campaigning on a platform of transparency and accountability, promising to be more open about how union funds are spent.

Meanwhile, BRPD Chief Murphy Paul has picked his own battles with union leaders in recent months, partly in response to the union billboard campaign.

Paul fired the union vice president, Siya Creel, for doing an unapproved interview about the billboards last summer with a former Baton Rouge television reporter. Creel sued the department claiming his free speech rights were violated and pointing out that leaders have previously been allowed free rein to give media interviews discussing union business, including under Paul. He argued his termination was retaliatory.

One of the issues discussed during a lengthy hearing in federal court earlier this month was whether Creel and others designed and coordinated the billboard campaign while on the clock — a fact the NAACP called "an atrocious showing of character."

Creel appealed his termination before the local civil service board. Both cases are ongoing.

In feud between BRPD chief and union leaders, federal judge refuses to undo officer's firing
    The union president, Brandon Blust, also was recently issued a disciplinary suspension for untruthfulness, a serious policy violation, after Paul took issue with repeated scheduling conflicts while trying to meet with union leaders about an impending change to the promotion system. Paul said Blust repeatedly pushed back the meeting, then filed a grievance complaining about the prolonged timeline. He also appealed the suspension.

Those are just the latest sources of conflict between the chief and union leaders. The feud intensified after Mayor Sharon Weston Broome, who hired Paul after campaigning on a promise of police reform, described the union as an obstructionist force in her efforts to weed out the bad cops in Baton Rouge.

Union leaders, for their part, have long claimed that Paul will throw his officers under the bus to avoid public criticism. One of their billboards, located a short distance from department headquarters, said as much: "Defend the badge, not the criminal."

BRPD chief says firing of union vice president was not 'motivated by personal vendettas'
    Now the NAACP is wading into the fray, offering its own sharp criticism.

"Baton Rouge Police Union leaders claim to back the blue, but the truth is they've left rank and file officers behind, promoted poor policing practices that protected bad cops and broke community trust," the group wrote on its new website. "They've played politics with our safety at every turn. And it's got to stop. Now."

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Baton Rouge is a crime infested dump like New Orleans. Why I moved out of there 15 years ago. Once an area turns majority democrat it is the end to civility. I will never understand why the people of cities always turn into democrats and destroy their own home. It has happened to every city in the United States.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Baton Rouge is a crime infested dump like New Orleans. Why I moved out of there 15 years ago. Once an area turns majority democrat it is the end to civility. I will never understand why the people of cities always turn into democrats and destroy their own home. It has happened to every city in the United States.

Which has little to do with what was posted. It's such a typical canned response: "Democrats bad, Baton Rouge crime cesspool." I feel like I've read this post a million times on this site. Why can't we get some helpful and thoughtful opinions instead of ripples of an echo chamber? This is your state, it's got problems, why beat your neighbors down?

As far as the article, I was a little disgusted when I saw the BRPD Union signs all over the city. With all of the "alleged corruption" you gotta think "where there's smoke, there's fire." Something is wrong. It might be the overzealous mayor and Police chief, but there might be a problem.

JPB55, you got any thoughts?

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    What I posted has everything to do with the post. Attack the police and make excuses for criminals. Classic City Democrat move.

I grew up near New Orleans. Witnessed the decay of that city. Then moved to BR because there was no way I was living in NOLA. BR was nice Then Katrina hit and I witnessed BR go down the same path as New Orleans and other cities. There is no fixing Baton Rouge and New Orleans. The only solution is pack up and leave which the middle class has already done. Most of the People in Central, Livingston, and Ascension use to Live in BR like myself. Middle Class people do not want to raise their families amongst low life criminal dregs who have every excuse in the world made for their behavior by the Democrat city leadership. It is why almost all US cites have two class of people that live in them. The extremely rich upper class and the extremely poor lower class. Find a house in BR for Sale less than $500,000 and you just found a crime laden area.

I lived off Gardere, then Brightside, then Sherwood, then across from the State Fair Grounds. Crime Crime Crime Crime in every location.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Gus, I think things between the Mayor and Police Union went South when the Mayor brought in a retired outsider from LSP rather than the long standing tradition of promoting within BRPD and things between the Mayor and Her Appointed Chief have only gotten worse with BRPD. Just my opinion from reading and talking to former and current BRPD Officers.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana

Which has little to do with what was posted. It's such a typical canned response: "Democrats bad, Baton Rouge crime cesspool." I feel like I've read this post a million times on this site. Why can't we get some helpful and thoughtful opinions instead of ripples of an echo chamber? This is your state, it's got problems, why beat your neighbors down?

As far as the article, I was a little disgusted when I saw the BRPD Union signs all over the city. With all of the "alleged corruption" you gotta think "where there's smoke, there's fire." Something is wrong. It might be the overzealous mayor and Police chief, but there might be a problem.

JPB55, you got any thoughts?
    I see the point made. And if anyone’s paying attention to the flight of people from BR into surrounding areas and beyond, one can understand that it is a factor at least. St. George trying to separate from the city for many reasons can also be related. For the most part it’s about the leadership. The city government is where to start if things are to improve. I don’t believe anyone will be able to shake a police Union, however.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Gus, I think things between the Mayor and Police Union went South when the Mayor brought in a retired outsider from LSP rather than the long standing tradition of promoting within BRPD and things between the Mayor and Her Appointed Chief have only gotten worse with BRPD. Just my opinion from reading and talking to former and current BRPD Officers.

You're not wrong. There are a lot of things going on in there.

davidd

Expert in the field of wife avoidance
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a close relative with BRPD who is ~3 years into his DROP. Guess who was first elected 4ish years ago? Choice of chief didn't help much either. Funny how he left just before the world over at LSP blew up.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I see the point made. And if anyone’s paying attention to the flight of people from BR into surrounding areas and beyond, one can understand that it is a factor at least. St. George trying to separate from the city for many reasons can also be related. For the most part it’s about the leadership. The city government is where to start if things are to improve. I don’t believe anyone will be able to shake a police Union, however.

St. George was sold to the voters as an education issue sprinkled with unsatisfactory city services. Politicians turned it into a "white flight" issue.

In reality, when the split finally happens; it is going to leave B.R. in a bad place. The tax base that is leaving will severely hurt what is left. But, that is the way democracy is supposed to work.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Yes and no! Yes; crime and poverty (but mostly education), need to be addressed to stop the continued erosion of the American Dream here. No; because no one has the guts to have the honest conversations that need to be had to begin actually trying to find solutions. So incompetent and/or corrupt leaders continue to be elected, and we keep pretending and throwing money away at it. Hence, taxpayers deciding they've had enough!

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    It is not White Flight. It is Middle Class leaving. Many of my Neighbors are minorities that once lived in BR. They are middle class and left.

Riverc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Torbert,La.
    I moved out of state for 25 years,moved back 3 years ago,Baton Rouge is not the same city i knew...I worked there many years with Gulf State Utilities as a contract lineman was all over that city and i wouldn't live there.And it's true about Democrat run cities they are all crime infested dumps,not just here but everyone you go too.

Top Bottom