Neat garage sale find

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Well, I was on a mission to find something to make money on, so I decided to drop by a few garage sales this morning. My past few weekends had made me some decent cash, so I had high hopes for today.

I picked up a NICE set of Ping putters, an old school analog police scanner, filing cabinet for paperwork cluttering the desk, some Foot Joy golf shoes, and this neat little item (stock pic unfortunately)......

DSCF0252.jpg

I found it in a jewelery box with a .38+P cartridge. It was just like the one pictured, but with a brass case and without any holes drilled in the body - it didn't even have a flash hole where the primer went. It had a crazy looking neck crimp about 1/4" from the case mouth. Date on the headstamp was 1953.

Lucky for me, I let my buddy drive around, and as soon as I met up with him the dummy round was MIA :( It must have gotten knocked out as they were moving stuff around, or just lost under the seats. I was quite bummed, even though it only cost a nickel, haha.

It's not every day you find neat stuff like this in someone's garage.

-Dave

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    So how much money do you spend on gas driving around to garage sales? Or does your friend volunteer his services? Just wondering how you figure gas into sales prices and still make decent profit margins.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    So how much money do you spend on gas driving around to garage sales? Or does your friend volunteer his services? Just wondering how you figure gas into sales prices and still make decent profit margins.

We drove a total of 20ish miles today in a Honda Civic - not even one gallon of gas. I bought the guy breakfast at McD's for $2.

I bought a box of old motorcycle helmets (the open face, "easy rider" style) for $5 and sold 4 of them for $75 each. I bought a set of silverware made by Tiffany & Co (The jewelery company) from the early 1900's for $15 and sold it for $160. I've bought LOTS of guns, that usually get me $100/ea profit. I bought 3 Ping putters today, and plan on selling them for $30-50/ea if I don't decide to keep one.

If you know what you're looking for, it's easy to sift through the crap.

-Dave

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    GLASS CAKE KNIVES!!!!

I'm not ashamed to admit I'd pay through the nose for these. Made as late as the 1920s. Solid glass, about a half inch thick, one solid piece.

;)

You know, just in case you need a shopping list.

We went to an estate sale today, and I'm sure the guy had some there. There was LOTS of cut crystal and old carnival glass. The man running the bit was the main reason for me leaving - he wanted an arm and a leg for EVERYTHING.

One guy inquired about an old wooden Pepsi bottle carrier (6-pack style) and offered the guy $25. The seller rudely exclaimed that he wouldn't take less than $200 since it was from the late 1800's.

When I asked him what year Pepsi started bottling their soda, he gave me the WTF face. I guess he didn't know that they didn't start selling larger bottles until the 20's, and that the carrier was from the 30's-40's :rolleyes:

I'll keep my eye open for knives though :D

-Dave

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    If you find any, I'll come to pick them up. I'm quite serious. They're kind of special to us. I found a whole display in Chattanooga Tenn on our very first vacation together at some knife museum in '96. Ever since then if I come across one, I'll buy it. I have three now, two clear and one pink. (Granted, I haven't come across an ******* trying to sell me one. I probably would have walked out too. I want to smile when I look at them, not grumble about idiot salesmen, and they aren't extraordinarily expensive either. Just rare-ish.)

Those boxes shouldn't be that expensive. I have a Johnnie Walker red label shipping crate/box that I paid $100. Looks like it's tongue in groove or dove tailed on the corners. I didn't quibble because it was a friend's garage sale so I just paid what her family slapped on the tag. I think it may have held six bottles. Doesn't look like it'd hold much more than that.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom