Need .22lr Pistol for Suppressor

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I am not totally up to speed on what might all be available out there that will run 100% suppressed. The ones that I do know of are:

Watlher P22: I dont like it period

Sig Mosquito: Really like the larger frame. It fills my hand up and I could see me actually using to w/ or w/o suppressor for cheap practice. I really do like this platform and would have already bought one but I heard that they have reliability issues? Is there any truth to this.

Ruger MKII or MKIII: I know they are reliable but not sure of models with threaded barrels although I'm sure they exist. Also do they have raised sights available?

Browning Buck Mark: I had one, and sold it because I never shot it. Not totally opposed to getting another. Same as above on quality and sights.

I am sure that there are other options.

So the requirements in order are:

1. Reliablity, if it jams once a mag I am going to get PO and throw it in the ditch and leave.

2. Raised sights would be nice so that with the suppressor attached I can aim and not guess. But if the best gun doesn't offer this then it may not be a deal breaker.

3. Ability to get mags at a reasonable price and availabity. I would like a total of about 4.

I am posting the outcome here so that others looking for this same topic can see what I chose more easily than reading the entire thread

I ended up going with the GSG 922. So far it has been a GREAT little pistol. I have shot 200 rounds threw it and only had 5 failures to feed HOWEVER 3 FOR SURE were induced by me by riding my thumb on the slide; the light recoil spring just does not have the force to slam the slide home if your thumb is riding the slide, so not a weapon issure at all. The other 2 could have VERY LIKELY been my fault as well and if I were a betting man I would say they probably were but I just did not feel them like I did on the other 3. Accuracy has been STELLAR, I was really surprised at how well it does shoot for only having a 3.4" barrel. I perfer to use a 6 o'clock hold for aiming and I did notice that doing so causes the gun to hit low. You have to use a covering hold to make POA and POI conincide. However the gun comes with 3 front sight post; a low, medium and high. The medium is installed from the factory and I bet if I swap it out for the low it would give me the sight picture I prefer but I am waiting on my can to show just to see if that will change the POI before I make the swap. I ordered a thread adaptor from Silencer Co and installed that as well so now I am just wating on the BATFE. The thread adaptor was about $45. I did find some cheaper alternatives for about $25 but being my suppressor is a Silencer Co brand I figured I'd stick with them to make sure everything is Kosher. The light rail will come in handy for night vermin as I already have a TRL on another pistol I can rob. The gun only came with 1 mag which is my only gripe as I wish an extra would be included but I guess to make their desired price point it wasn't an option. The picture of the decoy was shot at a stepped off distance of 15 yards. Yes I know 2 shots is not a group but I had shot the first 8 rounds at pine cones when my buddy threw out the decoy and said shoot this so I only had 2 rounds left in the mag. It could only have went down hill from there.

eju3uju4.jpg

rydydere.jpg

Last edited:

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had a Mosquito for a while and it was great. I fed it crap brick ammo and it performed fine. That said, I've heard the horror stories, as well.

We have a Ruger 22/45 that shoots near flawless. The threaded variety are a bit tough to track down right now, though. They are also a colossal cluster___ to field strip. Ruger has a factory model with raised sights and threaded barrel, if you can find it.

The GSG 1911 22s have been really great. We've been playing around with them for a while and have had no complaints. It's a built as a full frame 1911, chambered in 22LR. A number of parts are interchangeable, primarily external, w the 1911 (check to see if sights may fall into this category). It does require the use of an allen wrench to remove one pin during breakdown, but I guess nothing is perfect.

ETA: The GSG takes a threaded adapter to accommodate a suppressor.

Last edited:

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    M&p22s run great also. You just have to buy an adapter. No need for raised sights on one, if it is a normal diameter 22 can. I use threaded 22/45s with great success also.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    ive got the 22/45 as my host. it came threaded from the factory. i am pretty happy with the purchase so far. i have the model with the removable grips and the sights are visable over the suppressor. so far its been flawless. i mainly shoot federal bulk through it and accuracy is pretty good. the shorter barrel allows even the bulk pack to stay subsonic also.

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    I've read the Mosquito horror stories, seen the youtube videos.......but I own one. And I F***ING love that little 22. As long as the round is jacketed....it eats anything I throw in the magazine....hundreds after hundreds. (Remington Subsonic is the only NON-FMJ I tried....it didn't have enough power to reliably cycle so I gave it to a friend's son for his .22 rifle)

The only truth I found to any of the reviews or reports on the Mosquito is that it likes to be very well oiled. But that wonderful little hole above the safety on the right side of the slide works well. A drop or two ever few hundred rounds, and she'll go all day for me.

I have the sport version if that matters at all. :) It doesn't have the threaded barrel for the silencer, so I can't report on the function of a silencer.

enutees

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Prairieville
    I have a S&W 422 threaded. It is just a barrel nut you unthread and replace with a threaded piece. It is an ugly gun but it runs really well and feels great in my hands.

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA
    i own the GSG 1911-22, the M&P22, a Glock 19 AA kit, Glock 17 AA kit, Walther P22, and Ruger 22/45 factory threaded (before they came out w/ the new Lite model). the Ruger 22/45 will be the most reliable, hands down with almost all kinds of ammo. second would probably be the Walther P22. but each one has their little quirks. i'm one of the few that doesn't like how the grip of the 22/45 feels in my hands. i think it's a bit too thin and too top heavy, so i prefer the GSG. i have to change out grips on the GSG to Hogue grips.

the AA kits for the glock are good suppressed, but they are too darn picky on ammo. and will likely jam once every other mag or so.

i think based on your criteria, is to go w/ the 22/45. i go the factory ruger adjustable rear sight and raised fiber optic front sight. did the bushing mod as well so that mags drop freely. i will one day try to run 1911 grips on there, something like VZ's but much cheaper. might get knock offs at a gun show or something. major quick is lining the damn thing up to get the main spring housing back in.

Last edited:

BobKaro

Yellow Boxes? Sweet!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Youngsville, LA
    I have a S&W 422 threaded. It is just a barrel nut you unthread and replace with a threaded piece. It is an ugly gun but it runs really well and feels great in my hands.

Another good point about the 422 is that the barrel is below the recoil spring. No need for raised sights. Mags are the same as the 41 and extremely easy to find.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Well so far in my research the Tactical Solutions replacement slides / uppers for the Ruger Mark series and 22/45 as well as the Browning Buckmark seem to be ****. As is the GLOCK uppers as I already have guns they would fit on. However the Ruger / Buckmak route would leave an unused upper that I paid for and the price of the GLOCK 22 slides are so close to a complete gun it is kinda cost prohibitive.

So as of now I am leaning toward a Ruger 22/45 Lite or the SR22. I like the short barrels for two reasons. Frist, to keep the OAL with the suppressor attached as minimial as possible. Second, to be able to shoot "regular" velocity ammo and still be subsonic. I need to handle both to ensure proper ergonomics for my mid to large sized hands. I really like the compactness of the SR22 but it may be too small. The option of the FO front sight on the 22/45 as opposed to the 3 dot of the SR22 is very appealing for better accuracy, as a small diameter FO is what I have on my EXECUTIVE and it really helps for precison. The 22/45 LITE's width is basically the diameter of the can so sight height will not be of concern and the sights appear to be raised as well further eliminating this "issue". With the smaller SR22 that may come into play. Either way Ruger's reliability as well as availabity of parts and mags gets high marks. Had I not sold the Buckmark a Pac-Lite upper from Tactical Solutions would likely be the answer.

Thanks for the replies and feel free to add additional thought and info. Regards

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom