Need Advice! My Son is Moving to LSU

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warning Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    North Carolina
    Greetings Bayou Shooters- I’m a North Carolinian and fellow firearms enthusiast and I need assistance if at all possible. My son (who is also an avid hunter, fisherman and shooter) is starting graduate school at LSU in January. His major professor wants him to move to Baton Rouge ASAP to get started on his research. We are searching online for one-bedroom apartments near LSU but there is really no way for us to sort out what’s good and what’s not without some inside help. The people I trust most in life are my fellow shooters so I found Bayou Shooter's forum and decided to ask for help here.

Can anyone recommend a decent apartment complex reasonably close to LSU? Safety is priority #1. Are there apartment complexes that we should definitely avoid?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks very much and be sure to visit www.carolinashootersclub.com I’m “Warning Shot” over there too!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    You did the right thing! There are most assuredly places that are far better than others around there.

When you start getting some suggestions, Google map them and you will see a pattern.

Good Luck!

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    Welcome!

Does he have a car? Driving to campus versus relying on the bus or bicycle makes a difference for sure. Also if there is a price range for the budget.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    If he can afford it, he should try One Lakeshore Place Apartments, 940 Stanford Ave, Baton Rouge, LA 70808. It's right off campus in a great area.

It'll all depends on his finances. If he can't afford much, moving further away from campus keeps you in good neighborhoods while keeping rent down.

What's his major?

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    I think rrussotwo hit that on the head. Easy drive to campus...or even bike ride. WELL within the budget you mentioned Warning Shot....even for a 1br 1 bath over the efficiency.

Close to a main street for groceries, a movie theater, Wally World (if he's a Wal-Mart guy.....dunno what you all think of them in NC), and the LSU lakes pretty much across the street.

A friend of mine lived there a while back in grad school....loved the place.

Warning Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    North Carolina
    THANKS guys- that's the kind of info I need !!

He graduated from NCSU in May with a BS in Fisheries & Wildlife Sciences. At LSU, he'll be majoring in Oceanography/Marine Sciences.

Mlapor3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Gonzales
    Oakbrook on Nicholson was decent when I lived there, but I shared a 2-bedroom with a roommate. If I remember the singles were a bit pricey ~$800/month.

Warning Shot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    North Carolina
    I checked on One Lakeshore Place- they are vacating all residents at the end of the month for a year-long renovation project.

The nice lady referred me to Afton Oaks so the search continues!

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    MY daughter stayed at Highland Plantation of a year. It was a typical college apartment complex, unit was well worn, nothing fancy. Can't remember the price but she looked around and it was one of the least expensive. It's not walking distance but it's on the bus line. Parking on campus can suck and my daughter rode the bus rather than circle around for a parking place. There are lots of apartment complexes on Highland Road but stay SOUTH of campus. Highland Road north of campus is pretty bad crime wise as you get away from campus I think.
    She also stayed at University Commons on Burbank. I don't think there are any one bedroom apts but you can sign a lease and get assigned 2 other roommates(like in a college dorm). My son in law lived there and got along with his 2 assigned roommates as far as I can remember. My daughter roomed with a cousin and a stranger and there was lots of drama and trauma involving the stranger. Again Burbank south of campus has lots of similar places.
    Another daughter lived in the "Fairway View Apartments" on College Dr. It's not close to campus, maybe 20 minute drive. It was a little nicer than the Highland and Burbank places. All there places were pretty safe for them.

Last edited:

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I just noticed your post about Afton Oaks. If it's the place I'm thinking of that's not close to LSU. Traffic in Baton Rouge is pretty bad during morning and afternood commute times. I don't live Baton Rouge and some BR residents in here may correct me but my experiences in BR traffic are all pretty bad. I've been going up there since 1998 with 2 daughters in LSU and one now a resident and there has NEVER been a time when MAJOR road work wasn't going on in multiple locations.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yea, Afton Oaks is nowhere near campus. It's a good place, and gated. I crashed there in a company-rented apartment for a while, with a couple coworkers when I was working around-the-clock every weekday. Never had any problems. It's just not conveniently located at /all/ if you're going to LSU.

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    One Lakeshore Place is going to be leveled in a couple of weeks. (New Wampold Development going up on that footprint) There are only a couple of places in BR that still offer $500/mo rent. and none are great. Cottages of Baton Rouge and Indigo Park are the newest and nicest in your range, but are likely booked. You are looking into a venture that has been severely picked over at this point. Look to Essen area apartments at this point if you cant find anything near campus but expect to pay. Stay away from Burbank (7500 ish block)

Top Bottom