Need advice on adding White lights to AR-15s.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I like my streamlight tlr hp. They weren't kidding when when they said this "HP stands for high-powered. The TLR-1 HP series produce a long-range targeting beam that reaches 400+ meters!"

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=251#tabs

579505_10150665792911891_447253115_n.jpg

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Just curious... how much does that weigh?

It's not light, but it's not horrible. LOL. I actually haven't weighed it because i dont have a scale. IF i had to guess I would say not more than 10lbs in this configuration. Im about to remove the magnifier, it was just to try it out. I built a heavy platform, now I want to build a very simple lightweight rifle next. I figure it doesn't hurt to have one of each flavor.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    That light is huge! What's a targeting beam? What's the advantage? It seems to me in a gunfight it would be snag prone, break when being shot from cover, and be awkward. Why is your EO on your hand-guard instead of the receiver? Ever have any zero issues or POA/POI shifts?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    It's not light, but it's not horrible. LOL. I actually haven't weighed it because i dont have a scale. IF i had to guess I would say not more than 10lbs in this configuration. Im about to remove the magnifier, it was just to try it out. I built a heavy platform, now I want to build a very simple lightweight rifle next. I figure it doesn't hurt to have one of each flavor.

It looks like it has a standard 16" barrel and an Eotech, so it's obviously not a "long range" build. So what's the benefit of building a "heavy platform"?

And the TLR HP brings up another topic...if you are setting your rifle up primarily for home defense, there is definitely such a thing as TOO many lumens. I thought the 200+ lumen light I had on my AR was awesome until I turned it on in a dark, confined room. Not fun. I like to keep them around 100 lumens for inside use now.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    That light is huge! What's a targeting beam? What's the advantage? It seems to me in a gunfight it would be snag prone, break when being shot from cover, and be awkward. Why is your EO on your hand-guard instead of the receiver? Ever have any zero issues or POA/POI shifts?

the pattern is nice on the light, the EO is on the hand guard to accommodate the magnifier. I havent suffered any zero issues with my Eo or my irons. MI makes a pretty solid rail design. All the light is a TLR series, dual CR123 housing with a bell shaped housing. Pretty good marketing for Streamlight if you ask me. I also have a TLR3 thats currently on my CZ shadow.

The rail only weighs a little over a 1 lb.
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/ss_series.gif
    Heres a previous configuration on my Stag:

409381_10150465196161891_93129998_n.jpg

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    the pattern is nice on the light, the EO is on the hand guard to accommodate the magnifier. I havent suffered any zero issues with my Eo or my irons. MI makes a pretty solid rail design. All the light is a TLR series, dual CR123 housing with a bell shaped housing. Pretty good marketing for Streamlight if you ask me. I also have a TLR3 thats currently on my CZ shadow.

The rail only weighs a little over a 1 lb.
    http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/ss_series.gif
    Heres a previous configuration on my Stag:

409381_10150465196161891_93129998_n.jpg

What do you mean the pattern on the light is good? I don't care how solid the design of the rail is it will flex and shift so thats soemthing you may wanna check on. Good marketing how so because it looks cool?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I like the pattern of the beam of light that is produced by the light. And as I previously stated, I have yet to suffer any zero issues. I do however plan on moving the eotech back to the receiver. And as far as marketing is concerned, I would say for the consumers looking for the features offered by the TLR HP it is being sold at a fair price point.

Speed: When I said heavy, I was addressing the physical weight of the rifle, not the ability to perform longer range shots.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I'm just trying out different products and configurations on the market to see what works best for me. It's pretty overwhelming with how many options that are available for this platform.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Not for nothing and feel free to ignore it, but, if you took sometime and money and got some training and time behind the rifle you would be able to make much better decisions about the stuff you wanna put on the rifle. Until then you are making assessments based on the opinions you read on the net and what looks ****.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Speed: When I said heavy, I was addressing the physical weight of the rifle, not the ability to perform longer range shots.

My point was, typically weight is a side effect of building something for long range shooting (heavier, longer barrel and not designed to be shoulder fired). I guess I don't understand why you'd want to build a 10+ pound general use rifle.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I was mainly referring to the TLR mounted on the handguard. You know how easy that switch is to engage (which is why I prefer them over the X300 for pistols).

Again, the old stuff works, I've never doubted you on that. I'm just saying if you're starting from scratch there are better ways. A '72 Dodge Dart will still get you to the grocery store, but that doesn't mean I'd recommend it to someone car shopping in 2012. ;)

Next time you make that analogy, don't use a classic mopar :D

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Just got the Magpul cantilever rail in yesterday. Put a Streamlight 2Xcr123 light in a VTAC mount. Looks like it will work well for me.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347225933.975329.jpg

SimpleGreen

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    Livingston, LA
    This is what my rifle sports right now. An Elzetta 1500 with a Surefire G2X LED I got in a trade. Seems to work well. Used it while looking for a racoon last night. Didn't plan on shooting him with the AR in the middle of town in the middle of the night but It gave me an excuse to try it out. I'd like to try a side mount where I could activate it with my thumb as well, just to see the difference. Of course I wouldn't mind taking a class where I can bash it around all day and see how all of this gear works when it's not looking pretty in the corner.

But what do I know. I'm just a civilian with a tacticool gun :doh:

IMAG0132.jpg

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    Ive seen the dyed furniture and the patterns, nice concept! Nice rifle, seventhson!

Thanks! Yeah, the buttstock was the typical A2 gray and the handguard was FDE. I put about 7 light coats of primer gray thinking I was going to paint it another color but kind of like the light gray so will just leave it for now.

I'm thinking of switching out the Streamlight with my Fenix LD20 though.

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    Thanks! Yeah, the buttstock was the typical A2 gray and the handguard was FDE. I put about 7 light coats of primer gray thinking I was going to paint it another color but kind of like the light gray so will just leave it for now.

I'm thinking of switching out the Streamlight with my Fenix LD20 though.

+1 on a fenix! I have a TK15 that I love. it's been a good light for about 2 years now!

Top Bottom