Need hiring information from LEO's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Ok I am finally looking at giving it up here in the Army after 20 years of doing this and being away from the wife and family I think it is time for a career change. I am looking at putting in my retirement packet while I am here in Afghanistan on this deployment. I plan to go home on leave in December to GA and I will be picking up some applications from the PD's and SO's; I would like some information on which PD's and SO's are hiring and are looking to start hiring anytime next year from here in LA. I have no problem going anywhere in the state to get on with a good PD or SO. Do any of you know of any LEO positions open and what I need to do on my end to help me get picked up? I have no criminal background, no drug's or DUI's no speeding tickets and I am good shape and I have a my security clearance if that means anything. Any information any of you can give me I would be thankful for. I am going to be looking in LA and also back home in GA.

Last edited:

BlueLineIPSC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    Slidell
    First of all, Thank you for your service! 20 years is a long time.

I know Slidell PD is hiring, and it's very competitive out there right now. I think they had 3 positions open or something like that and had 75 people apply and take the civil service test. There are constantly positions coming open from people retiring and people moving around within the department. You need to apply to take the civil service test (I believe they offer one every month or maybe every other month). After you take and pass the civil service test written and physical then you will go through the rest of the process. Go to the city of Slidell website and look under "I want to search job opportunities".

I'm pretty sure you will find many departments hiring. You just gotta put your name in the hat and hope you come out on top.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Totally random, but I know the Alaska State Troopers have a huge push right now to hire vets. I don't know if you're down for that sort of thing. Desert to ice box might be a little weird.

Otherwise, I'm always hearing of academies with BRPD and EBRSO here in Baton Rouge. NOPD is also actively hiring unless I'm mistaken.

I know you mentioned you're fine going anywhere. Also being POST certified can sometimes make you a shoe-in for academies.

Just my $0.02.

ETA: I know a few people who just got on with DPS. They work days Monday-Friday, great benefits, take home vehicle, and off on weekends. Might be something else to consider with your family and whatnot.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Ok I am finally looking at giving it up here in the Army after 20 years of doing this
    and being away from the wife and family I think it is time for a career change.

I am looking at putting in my retirement packet ..... I will be picking up some applications
    from the PD's and SO's;

Does not compute. :doh:

If away from your family is pushing your desire for a career change
    going Law Enforcement isn't the way to rectify that my man.

When I got out, working Nights, Holidays and Weekends
    was NOT what I wanted more of. That's something you'll do in Law Enforcement.
    So I avoided LE and other Jobs where that's prevalent.

Just saying, if you're wanting more time at home with the Family
    might be best to look for other options where that's conducive to your career decision.

Cheers! :)

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Does not compute. :doh:

If away from your family is pushing your desire for a career change
    going Law Enforcement isn't the way to rectify that my man.

When I got out, working Nights, Holidays and Weekends
    was NOT what I wanted more of. That's something you'll do in Law Enforcement.
    So I avoided LE and other Jobs where that's prevalent.

Just saying, if you're wanting more time at home with the Family
    might be best to look for other options where that's conducive to your career decision.

Cheers! :)

What I mean by that is the constant deployments and TDY's and going all over the place three weeks to 6 months to 12 to 14 months to being in the field all the time this is my 10th deployment in my career and I am just tired of it. I can deal with working long hours and doing what I need to do I am just tired of the being away from the family so much and for so long all the time.

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Totally random, but I know the Alaska State Troopers have a huge push right now to hire vets. I don't know if you're down for that sort of thing. Desert to ice box might be a little weird.

Otherwise, I'm always hearing of academies with BRPD and EBRSO here in Baton Rouge. NOPD is also actively hiring unless I'm mistaken.

I know you mentioned you're fine going anywhere. Also being POST certified can sometimes make you a shoe-in for academies.

Just my $0.02.

ETA: I know a few people who just got on with DPS. They work days Monday-Friday, great benefits, take home vehicle, and off on weekends. Might be something else to consider with your family and whatnot.

Funny you should mention that I chatted with the wife about it and she told I would be going by myself as there is not way she wants to live up there. We are from the south and used to the heat and humidity. I am from GA and she is originally from FL but has lived in GA since she was two years old.

As far as being POST certified I was looking at trying to pay my way through the academy back in GA. I don't know how or what I would be able to do here in LA as I am not sure where the academy is and who I would need to talk to about it. I will try and take the civil service test when I get back from over here so that will be out of the way.

Last edited:

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    First of all, Thank you for your service! 20 years is a long time.

I know Slidell PD is hiring, and it's very competitive out there right now. I think they had 3 positions open or something like that and had 75 people apply and take the civil service test. There are constantly positions coming open from people retiring and people moving around within the department. You need to apply to take the civil service test (I believe they offer one every month or maybe every other month). After you take and pass the civil service test written and physical then you will go through the rest of the process. Go to the city of Slidell website and look under "I want to search job opportunities".

I'm pretty sure you will find many departments hiring. You just gotta put your name in the hat and hope you come out on top.

Thanks I will look them up along with the BRPD and EBRSO and see what they have going on.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    What I mean by that is the constant deployments and TDY's and going all over the place three weeks to 6 months to 12 to 14 months to being in the field all the time this is my 10th deployment in my career and I am just tired of it. I can deal with working long hours and doing what I need to do I am just tired of the being away from the family so much and for so long all the time.

Fair enough, just wanted to throw that out there.

Good Luck! :hi5:

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    Veterans have a 10point preference when applying for jobs a good place to start would be usajobs.com and look into something in the government so your retirement transfers over like TSP if you have it. So 20yrs doing anything in the army would put you far beyond other application's in the same stack as you have operational experience along with knowing how to use Microsoft word and excell haha anyway be sure to hit up the resume class on your way out so they can put your military experience into civilian words

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Veterans have a 10point preference when applying for jobs a good place to start would be usajobs.com and look into something in the government so your retirement transfers over like TSP if you have it. So 20yrs doing anything in the army would put you far beyond other application's in the same stack as you have operational experience along with knowing how to use Microsoft word and excell haha anyway be sure to hit up the resume class on your way out so they can put your military experience into civilian words

Ok thanks I have been looking at usajobs.com and checking into the FED LEO and government stuff. Yeah I know I need to hit those resume classes as a lot of our stuff is hard to transfer over into civilian words.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    You can also use your gibill for OJT and get paid to learn a trade basically. I was actually looking at the gibill website for my next course and in Louisiana itself almost every parish takes the GIbill to become an officer along with federal agencies like ICE and a few others think I seen DEA and customs and border also . Just an option but I cant even make a huge life decision until I get off TDRL but good luck to you bro

jim48

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    Kenner, La
    When applying for federal jobs be sure to use a special resume or perhaps attachment targeting the specific KSAs - knowledge skills abilities required for the job and listed on the job announcement. google 'federal jobs knowledge skills abilities'

often each job often has hundreds or thousands of applications. The KSAs are used to filter and discard most and then to direct a few 'highly qualified' to the selection committee / official. Do not lie, but stretch it as far as possible. As long as you can explain / justify to the live interviewer if you get that far. If you do not have the exact KSA then what do you have that is similar? Use that. They are not pass / fail. You can get partial credit for each KSA, then an overall score.

Veterans do get lots of extra credit in their scores for selection, advancement. Also in other areas.
    opm.gov is the main government personnel management agency with info on government wide policy, rules, etc.
    USAJOBS.gov is the main 'official' job listing portal.

OPM Veterans links
    http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/veterans-services/vet-guide/
    http://www.opm.gov/faqs/topic/veterans/

USAJOBS links
    https://www.usajobs.gov/
    https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?keyword=%22police%20officer%22

other links
    http://www.dhs.gov/careers-federal-protective-service
    http://www.ice.gov/careers/
    http://www.tsa.gov/careers/law-enforcement-federal-air-marshal-service-careers
    http://www.usa.gov/Citizen/Topics/PublicSafety/Law-Enforcement.shtml

USN 1969-1973 and a former FED selection committee member / selection official. Retired 2009. This info may be out of date. but they usually change slooowly.
    thank you for your service. best of luck in this endeavor.

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Ok thanks guys I will be looking into all of this. I might have to some of it when I get back Polk as the internet here sucks and half the time it is down for one or the other and slow as hell.

Top Bottom