Need ideas on a new knife

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area
    Ok, so I have a CRKT M16 with a tanto point that is typically part of my EDC. For a good while, I was carrying a 4" Cold Steel Ti-Lite until I managed to lose/drop/something it.

So, I'm in the market for a knife, and wanted to get a few suggestions.

1) Interested in keeping the tab sub-$100.
    2) Full-length straight edge... nothing with a serrated edge.
    3) 5-6" in length
    4) Prefer something with a drop point or spear point blade.

I'm thinking about repurchasing a Ti-Lite, this time in 6" or maybe going with another CRKT (really love the little one I've got now), but I really don't keep up with knife stuff or know too much about the various knife companies out there and their relative qualities.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Take a look at Kershaw's line. I've been carrying a Leek for a few years. It's light and holds a sharp edge.

http://www.kershawknives.com/

Note: The MSRP prices listed on the site are high. They list the leeks at $69. You can find them for about $50. They list the Boa at $185. You can get it for about $105 - $110

Art

Last edited:

grits

infidel
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    A big +1 on the Kershaws. They are great knives and if you need them, one of the best customer service dept's I have ever dealt with.

kershaws2.JPG

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    A big +1 on the Kershaws. They are great knives and if you need them, one of the best customer service dept's I have ever dealt with.

kershaws2.JPG
    I had a good experience with Kershaw's customer service . I sent in a knife that my son found . It was an assisted open knife and the lock was broken .
    I wanted the knife repaired , and I had no proof of purchase . I told them
    to notify me of the cost . They sent me a NEW knife . :D

mrdbeau

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Slidell Area

Wow, nice!

I'd forgotten about Spyderco and Benchmade. Never heard of SOG. Kershaw does make some good knives and I've heard nothing but positive things about them, but it seems you can get a quality knife just as good (or close to it) with another quality company for a better price.

Edit: Just looked at Benchmade's site. I did a search and only came up with fixed blades in the 4-6" range with spear or drop points. Anyone have any specific Benchmade folders to recommend in spear or drop points?

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Was there something wrong with the 4-inch Cold Steel Ti Lite? That looks like one of the best concealable defensive carry knives on the market. Strictly a combat item, but better than other folders for that purpose.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I like to surf, too. But I never stayed at Holiday Inn Express. WTH is a wave knive?

Wave is basically something on the outside of the blade towards the handle positioned in such a way that when you properly draw the knife from your pocket, the wave "finger" catches on the seam of the pocket and draws the knife open as you draw it from your pocket.

Here's a pic of my Emerson Commander and of a Spyderco with the wave feature
    commander1.jpg

C11PGYW.jpg

didnt look much but this video explains it.
    [ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=eDPerNV9nWQ[/ame]

Top Bottom