Need recommendation for a deer hunting rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    So a buddy of mines wife called me and was wondering what she should get him for Christmas. I recommended a rifle to her and she liked the idea. Since I don't hunt I figured that I should ask you guys what she should get him. So what are your recommendations and what's a good price for it?

Thanks
    Chow

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Depends on how much she wants to spend. A Remington 700 in .308 would be my first choice. If she is budget limited pick any bolt surplus rifle- Moison, Enfield, Mauser (1st choice for a hunter) , etc. For something in between or non-military either a Winchester or Marlin .30/.30. SKS is also a popular hunter if you want to get him into shooting...

bigdaddyb

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Depending on budget, I'm a real fan of the Encore.

I'm also a fan of bullets in the 270/7mm size range. Folks in these parts consider the .270 to be the ideal deer cartridge.

You haven't been offered any bad advice in the other posts. I'm not a big fan of the 30/30, but that's a personal preference. LOADS of deer have been taken with every cartridge and rifle mentioned thus far.

How well do you know the husband. Does he like to tinker with stuff? Does he jump into a hobby and go nuts? If so, he'll like the Encore. If he dabbles in several hobbies, he'll like the low maintenance and stability of the Rem 700 or the Savage platform. If he's a military buff, he'll find hunting with the Mauser, SKS, etc. very satisfying.

These factors and $$ will drive the final decision.

brianb

P.S. I'm doing the same thing for my boss right now. He doesn't hunt currently, but wants a rifle to take his son hunting with. We're going the Encore route with Bantam stocks. That way the gun can be made to grow with the boy.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    My friend probably will want something that he can put away and pull it out when he goes hunting. I told him about Bill's 7mm rifle he had. He was interested in it. I'll have to look around and see what I can find.

Danny

USMC DM
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2007
    NE Louisiana
    depends on the hunting conditions:

Short alot of brush under 100 yards - 30/30, 243, 270

Medium to long or open areas - 270, 308, 7mm, 300 WSM, 270 WSM, 338 Laupa

My personal choice would either be a Remington or a Savage in 308. I have a savage in 308

Jon

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 13, 2006
    BR "City of Central"
    From what I've read on different boards Savage is a good choice. Thanks for the links. I don't think price is an issue. She makes like $40 an hr.

82a1.gif

:D

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    can someone explain the difference between these three? which one would you choose out of the three?

the remington with scope chambered in 7mm
    http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=catalog&target=weeklyad&pgNum=4

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62/products_id/14606

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62/products_id/14607

or should my friends wife spend more and get one of these? what's the difference are the ones below and above? just wondering what makes the difference? is the accutrigger worth the difference?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62/products_id/14430

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_62/products_id/78360

thanks

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I have the 12FV .308 and like it, if he plans on plinking and shooting for accuracy and groups I would say get it. It is two+ pounds heavier than the others, I believe all of the Savages are going to be free floated barrels. I use mine for hunting and punching paper. I don't walk far to my stands so the extra weight doesn't bother me. My scope is a 6-24x50 which adds more weight vs. a 3-9x40. With bipod mine weighs in at 13.4lbs. The heavier barrel should be more accurate at the range as the barrel shouldn't heat up as fast as a sporter barrel.

If it will be a strictly hunting rifle and going to the range just to sight it in no need for the heavy barrel.

The remington I don't know much about it, I believe the 710 is being replaced by 770 for what reason I don't know.

rhettro

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    I have a winchester model 70 in .270 with a simmons 3x9x50 scope. Got it in a trade but don't really rifle hunt. Love to hunt with bow only. I would let it go for $375 or so.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Speaking of the Savage, I stopped by last Sunday morning to shoot the IPSC match at nick's. Unfortunately, my Sprinfield .45 isn't much good in a .22 rifle match that they were shooting instead. I was surprised to find 3/4 of the shooters using Savage bolt guns instead of 10/22's. Those were accurate and cheap. I was planning working over my still factory 10/22, but now I'm considering selling and buying a Savage.

Craig

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 23, 2007
    Denham Springs
    Cabela's is advertising a Remington 700 SPS in .270 or .30-06 for $399. It comes with two stocks (adult and youth)

Reg. $599
    Sale $429
    Rebate $30
    Total $399

Price good thru 12/2

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Depends on how much she wants to spend. A Remington 700 in .308 would be my first choice.

I would agree, or even say .30-06...both are perfect and either one can kill any game in all of the Americas, .30-06 being the better for big game with commercial ammo. Hand loaded ammo can put the .308 a touch beyond .30-06 commercial, and hand loaded .30-06 ammo can make it on par with .300winmag commercial.

Like I said, either one is great & perfect for hunting in all of the Americas.

I might suggest the .30-06 -only- because its the most popular hunting rifle in the entire world and ammo can be bought anywhere that sells it. .270 is second. And .308 is gaining in popularity.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I can't address the civilian deer hunting guns, but I can say with some certainty that if your friend's wife goes with a military surplus rifle the Yugoslavian M24/47 Mauser in 8mm is the way to go. An excellent one with a beautiful bore can be had for $120, and I can vouch for them. The rifles were made in 1924 and re-barreled in 1947 - just in time for the debut of the SKS and AK47. They were put away in cosmoline almost immediately. I have four, and they can hit the 14" gong at 250 yards over iron sights so often that it's boring.

The 8mm round is probably the hardest-hitting military surplus round, and will vaporize a deer's organs on impact. Furthermore the Yugoslavian Mauser is better made than the German one by a long shot, and the action is smooth. The Mauser bolt design is probably the safest on the market and is the basis for many modern bolt-action rifle designs.

Top Bottom