Need repair help in gno- single shot savage 219b light strike

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • enigmedic

Rating - 100%
    14   0   1
    Sep 14, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have a Savage 219B internal hammer single shot in 45-70 that is light striking primers. The firing pin was replaced, as well as firing pin retaining screw, as the original was slightly bent. The hammer strut spring is incredibly strong, and no simple task to replace. Following the replacement of the above, the results were the same: three or four light strikes before firing. The depth of firing pin protrusion appears to be within spec, and headspace seems normal. I'm beginning to wonder if the internal hammer has some issue.
    I brought it to a (nominal) gunsmith in Metairie, who after handling it had to ask what caliber it was and was looking for a serial number on the barrel. I asked if they could fabricate parts, he replied that he could "but they never come out right." I left when he said he could disassemble it "if I could find a video on it." Judging by the lack of equipment in the shop, it seems that most tasks are farmed out, and the extent of gunsmithing is mounting scopes, etc.
    Is there anyone in the area familiar with older singles, access to parts, or even has a functioning receiver? This particular one has a unique historical significance, so I want to get it working. Otherwise, the dollar value of these would not be worth fooling with. Any experience is appreciated.

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    Numrich has a lot of parts.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/savstevspgfld/rifles-sav/219b

I have a lot of experience taking down Savages. The internals are assembled outside of the gun with knock out pins. You assemble everything. Stick it in the receiver then drive the pins out. It is a pain but cheaper than most guns smiths. Also finding a real Gun Smith is a challenge then days. Most shops "Gun Smith" is a person who changes AR-15 parts and installs Scopes, not a machinist like Old Smiths use to be.

This is classic Savage/Stevens behavior. I have a Stevens Model 29, New Youth Savage 22 Bolt Action, and a Savage Axis. Every single one has had light strike issues. The two 22lr models are the worst. I had to file the back of the firing pins to make them protrude more on the 29 and it still is 50/50 whether it will shoot. The new Bolt action 22, I have not idea how to fix. The Savage Axis had to install a stronger spring.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom