Need some advice on gripping a pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    You should also get a copy of Andy Stanford's book "Surgical Speed Shooting." You'll probably have to order from Amazon.com -- cost is about $12.

Andy's book will explain why you need to use the Isosceles grip & stance (why he, like so many top shooters changed from Weaver) and there are step-by-step photos showing you the correct grip & stance.

The step-by-step photos are helpful in cases where someone shows you the same stuff, but you later aren't sure about, or don't remember a certain element. Or, more likely, you decide to modify and/or improvise. The book will keep you on the "straight & narrow" until it becomes a habit.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    You should also get a copy of Andy Stanford's book "Surgical Speed Shooting." You'll probably have to order from Amazon.com -- cost is about $12.

Andy's book will explain why you need to use the Isosceles grip & stance (why he, like so many top shooters changed from Weaver) and there are step-by-step photos showing you the correct grip & stance.

The step-by-step photos are helpful in cases where someone shows you the same stuff, but you later aren't sure about, or don't remember a certain element. Or, more likely, you decide to modify and/or improvise. The book will keep you on the "straight & narrow" until it becomes a habit.

+1

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ugh. If I make it to Precision tonight it's gonna be after 2000 hrs.

Also, if you're still by some slim chance still there, how would I recognize you or you me?

Last edited:

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    To Suburbazine,

Try Dick's Sporting Goods. They have a case price on ammo that should save you some money and your Dad will only have to make 1 trip every so often. You also might try to get your Dad to buy some on line and you foot the bill. Just a little thought.

Boss302, Thanks for posting the video for me.

Bryan
    "Beauxdog"
    L2311 :)

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Suburbazine, When you are available BS members will be glad to help with your stance/grip, etc. Let us know.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Suburbazine, When you are available BS members will be glad to help with your stance/grip, etc. Let us know.

I will- I appreciate the offer of free help and I tried best I could to make it, just family matters got in the way of making the trip out there. :hs:

Nick

a.k.a. Nick™
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    if your dad doesn't have time to run you to the store and if you still have my number call me this weekend and we can make a ride out to Dick's, Academy or Wal-Mart and get you stocked up.

I'm not gonna even try to teach grip/ stance, I know what works for me but it's by no means professionally learned.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    Look at ths month's American Handgunner. Travis Thomasee a USPSA Grand Master shows you how to grip a pistol. As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words".

The reason you are shooting left...you have too much finger on the trigger and are pushing it to the side. Your finger should be pressing straight back. Many shooters shoot a Glock high. If you don't control the gun it will have time to move during recoil.

After you see how to get a proper grip on your pistol. Practice dry firing (no ammo in the room) and holding the sight picture for two seconds after the trigger press. Work toward no movement for the press and the following two seconds. Use your mechanical reset while doing the dry fire practice.

Good Luck, Buddy

dangermoney

C'est Chaud Peur Lot
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Gonzales, LA

+2

Highly recommended.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom