Need some direction

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hot shot

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville La
    Last year I bought a case of shotgun shells for $89. This year the same shells at the same store are $159. Thinking about starting to reload my own, but have some questions.

Is it worth it if I only shoot 1-2 cases per year, what kind of start up equipment cost am I looking at to reload steel shot. Are the reloads totaly waterproof? I think thats about it for now. Ive been kinda wanting to get into reloading for years, but never figured it was worth the cost. With the price of ammo on the rise, Im thinking about reconsidering

Paulup

dot dot dot
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Bush, La
    I was told(no personal research) that you're looking at a good 1k to start reloading properly. I was also told that pretty soon all gunpowder will have a 2 year shelf life, and that it will be taxed right along with ammunition, so you won't save much money that way. I have nothing to back any of this up, but I'll look into it when I get some time later and see if I can get something concrete.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    I would'nt say the most expensive but work ups can be time consuming.

The Mec turrent press is only $80 bucks and can often be found for $25-$40.

If you are shooting AA loads then it will save you if you are shooting bulk loads then probably not.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Probably not worth it financially, but thing of all the cool rounds you could make! Dimes...flechettes...salt...dirty heroin needles...you name it!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    I was also told that pretty soon all gunpowder will have a 2 year shelf life,

I'd like to know who exactly has spread this rumor. Must be the same one saying primers will begin to have a "shelf life" also. Mine have a shelf life, until they go bang.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I used to reload at UNO on their presses (Lee I think). Lee also used to make a single stage loader that wasn't all that expensive. I got out of skeet so it wasn't worth the effort for 2 or 3 boxes a year.

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Loading shotgun is getting to be cost effective again. I loaded all my steel shot. I found loading loading steel to be really cost effective, plus you could safely load it to pretty high velocities.
    As with all reloading buying in bulk saves the most $$. A good MEC loader will take you a long way. Still using the first one we got in the mid seventies.
    I was just offered another loader from a friend of mine who no longer bird hunts. If he wants to sell it I'll post it here.

Top Bottom