Need some fruit plants/trees that come back each year

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rcm1201

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mandeville, LA
    I live in a neighborhood, so space is limited. However, I'm looking to fill my back yard with fruit bushes or trees (I hate veggies). I started 2 satsuma trees last year, and am looking for some other ideas of plants that requires essentially no maintenance- and they come back producing every year. What other than blackberries and oranges will do this?

Forgive me as I know very little about agriculture. I just like enjoying fresh fruit!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Meyer Lemons. My two trees are now 3 winters old. They've had fruit on them all through this Winter, and now they are full of blossoms for Spring. I have one tree too many.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Pomegranete's

wfzkp2hxyvav3wtfwtpg.jpg

benorth

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    +1 on the figs. They do great with the cold! Had ours for about 8 years now, and have a lot of things you can do with them besides eating them raw. Once ours were established they produced like crazy.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    Lemon and lime trees are doing great at my parent's place for 5 years or so now. They never touch them.

limes are only good south of new orleans. way too cold sensitive for any further north typically.

pecans, figs, and certain banana varieties. all plants will need to be watered and over time will have to be fertilized but overall if planted properly these and many other food plants do well in S LA.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Blackberries, mullberry, blueberries, pears, peaches, plums. All take a little care, some more than others, but read on the LSU Ag Center website like previous poster said and you'll be good to go. The three basics for fruit production are water, fertilizer, and pest control whether it be insects, weeds, are disease. If you want the easy route plant blueberries, figs, and citrus. Even though these require maitenance it is no where near what plums, apples, and peaches take. we have a mullberry tree and it is a prolific producer. Good for jams and jellies.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have a fig a couple satsumas and a few pear trees. Plums do well but require spraying. Muscadine vines do well but need to be pruned yearly. Peach and nectarine trees also produce but are high maintenance.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    I have satsuma, blood orange, louisiana sweet, naval and red naval trees. I also have a fig tree, japanese plum and blueberries that are in pots.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I am looking at planting a fig tree, an orange tree, and some blackberry bushes around my house. Anyone have some advice on where to get them and when to plant them? Thanks!!

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    For your citrus trees buy one produced by the Becnels in Belle Chasse. Their trees are the best in the business and are very high quality. They also sale figs too. They sell their trees at lots of big box stores so just look at the tags. If you are ever in the area stop by some of their nurseries and it will blow your mind how well they are kept up and run. There are numerous nurseries and Walmarts that sell blackberries in BR. Go to the LSU Ag Center website and look up what variety is the best for our area and get that one. Remember they have to be cut back each year to get a good crop. Even though we have not had a cold winter in a long time you can book it that we will have them again. Don't believe all of this global warming BS. Stick with satsumas as they are the most cold hardy with lemons and limes being the least. The oranges fall somewhere in between. A lot of people have forgotten that it can get way cold in South Louisiana and it would suck to have all of your hard work ruined. I also forgot that the Becnels are now selling avacado trees. I think the variety is hass (misspelled probably) they don't take the cold well but if protected you can have fresh avacados in your backyard. LSU also has recommended varieties for fig trees.

Top Bottom