Need some help.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • asianak

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I let a buddy borrow my shotgun and I guess he didn't clean it after he was done and he just put it back in it's case and gave it back to me. Well I didn't check to see if he had cleaned it well tonight I pulled it out and the barrel looked like it had rust all over it. My question is how do you get rid of it and is it permanent? I cleaned it and oiled it up and put it back in the case but when I pulled it out a few days later it looked rusted again. Please help

Thanks
    Eric

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    You could try some 0000 steel wool and gently buff it, followed by a good oiling and that may stop it.

THIS

the problem will be that moisture will ALWAYS attack it now, I have had good luck with the wilson combat penetrating oil, I usually coat my new guns with it before they go out and play for the first time and seems to hold up pretty good to the enviroment in Louisiana

I have been dealing with a similar situation on my competition 1911 eventhough she is a matte stainless she gets a little surface rust every now and then, she will go out to get coated in a near future, but she was not purchased new so its hard to take care of somebody elses mistake.

Moisture in Louisiana is a beeee, one more good reasson why to save them in the safe with a rod and not in a gun case though

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    we got some socks from Reynerson's in Baton Rouge that were impregnated with silicone and they seem to work well. obviously they're not going to remove the existing rust but once you get it cleaned up I'd either keep it open in a dry safe or in one of those socks if it's *out* in the open exposed to humidity.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    we got some socks from Reynerson's in Baton Rouge that were impregnated with silicone and they seem to work well. obviously they're not going to remove the existing rust but once you get it cleaned up I'd either keep it open in a dry safe or in one of those socks if it's *out* in the open exposed to humidity.

I use a Duck Commander sock similar to that. Olive Drab w/ DC logo. It has like a wax feel to it.

Would love to find another one for my brother but cannot seem to find them anywhere... :(

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Definitely 0000 Steel wool. Is the gun blued? If so don't use oil immediately, use dry steel wool, but make sure not to use the same section of it, because when it picks up rust particles if you use the same section of wool that's covered in rust particles, the rust particles will scratch the bluing. You should have to apply some pressure but not too much. Once you've removed it go back over it with some gun oil and a cloth to remove any debris left.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    1. Shove the now-rusty barrel up your "buddy's" a$$ for returning the gun without cleaning,
    2. wipe the do-do and blood off,
    3. follow steps in above posts concerning steel wool and gun oil,
    4. learn how to say "no".

#1bambam

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Oct 14, 2007
    The Nasty New Orleans.
    The barrel is parked. I will post pics. And try the steel wool

If its parkerized I wouldent try the steelwool.I would use one of those green kitchen pads.There is a texture when its parked unlike a smooth blued barrel.Anywhere you scower it with the steelwool will stick out like a sore thumb.Its easy to flash rust a parked gun with sweaty hands and cheeks. and unless its pitted oiling it will prolly fix it up.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If its parkerized I wouldent try the steelwool.I would use one of those green kitchen pads.There is a texture when its parked unlike a smooth blued barrel.Anywhere you scower it with the steelwool will stick out like a sore thumb.Its easy to flash rust a parked gun with sweaty hands and cheeks. and unless its pitted oiling it will prolly fix it up.

I was making the assumption it was blued. Definitely don't use steel wool then if he's saying it will mess up the finish!

petelanca

Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Grand Lake 70607
    Ouch...Salt water possibly? If the barrel was hot and exposed to salt water it could have wicked into the pores. Neutralize the salt in a semi opposite way.

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    We use a zinc "steel wool" type pad in shop. As you can imagine, we get all types of firearms in any/all types of conditions. This is what we use on 95% of the guns with rust we get in. It does a great job and works on blued, park'd, stainless steel, etc. I'll try to find more info for you.

asianak

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    No salt water. He said he shot it a bunch and put it in the zipper case. And left it in his truck overnight a couple days in the cold.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    And left it in his truck overnight a couple days in the cold.

Well there you go. BIG NoNo there.
    tsk.gif

At least you know exactly what happen.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bharden68
    Top Bottom