New AR build; Issue with double firing, Whoaa now

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I assembled my 11th build this morning. Went well no issues. Move along to the test firing and this happens;

-Loaded ONE round and fired to make sure bolt locked back and a general "feel". Bolt locked back, sounded good, felt right.
    -Loaded TWO rounds. Intended to test cycle... both rounds fired one right after the other.

At this point, being as I was bundled bc I'm a puss to the cold, I tried again thinking I may have managed a bump fire.

-Loaded TWO rounds, made sure rifle was firmly against my shoulder... both rounds fired. Checked trigger and it seems free, doesn't look or feel like it is binding.
    -Loaded FIVE rounds. Frist round fired, and no second shot, 2nd round was chambered BUT when I ejected it to inspect, it had been struck so FTFire.

At that point I went home, waiting for a range to open. I have a couple more BCGs and lowers I will try out individually in this build to attempt to find the issue; Ill start by slapping another lower on it and work to the BCG from there. I've never had this issue before, or any for that matter and am at a loss. Anyone who can shed some light on it, or offer a suggestion of anything I should check will get a E-cookie and E-hug from me.

This is the build, BCM BCG, BCM gunfighter CH, BCM barrel, BCM upper, BCM GB, Spikes lower, standard buffer and spring, and a PSA LPK.

Mike

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    My very rudimentary understanding of how a lower fits together makes me think disconnector issue, maybe PSA's QC let a bad one through.

Last edited:

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    You sure you installed the spring for the disconnector right side up?

Of course!

I found the issue though. It is indeed with the PSA LPK. I've bashed PSA before, and shame on me for giving them a chance (again) I guess.
    I did a simple test of the trigger. I didn't know 100% what I was looking for but I did use a separate lower to compare it to. Cocked the hammer, pulled the trigger and held it back. Hamper fell (I didn't let it strike). Pulled the hammer back with the trigger still pulled and the secondary sear(spelling?) did not catch the hammer. Primary seems to work fine. I have a second lower so the build will still work, not going to make a big fuss but Ill contact PSA. E-cookies for all

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Glad you got it sorted bud. I just installed my first and last psa lpk. The buffer stop (insert proper term here lol) broke in half almost immediately. I emailed psa Saturday night. Haven't heard anything yet. It also came with one of the worst mil spec triggers I've felt.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Sounds like you got a bad/out of spec disconnector and/or hammer. Swap in known good parts one at a time until you find the culprit. You can try PSA customer service, they'll probably promise you a replacement and never ship it.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    You can try PSA customer service, they'll probably promise you a replacement and never ship it.

DING DING DING. we have a winner. I am currently going through this right now....They sure were fast to charge my card for the item and are in no rush (2 weeks later) to send me my missing parts...

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I will have quality LPK's and replacement parts soon at the shop. They are a little more than PSA, but they will work, and if there is a problem I will swap it out over the counter!

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I am glad some see the light with PSA!

It's not "the light" as much as "you get what you pay for". PSA actually makes the best parts in the price range, with the catch being slow lead times and spotty customer service. Every company that produces and ships as many parts as they do has bad ones go out, most just do a better job with customer service. People want ridiculously cheap parts, great quality and stellar customer service. It just isn't realistic. I still recommend PSA with the caveat not to be surprised if some little part is missing. Whether it's worth the potential hassle or not is a personal decision.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    It's not "the light" as much as "you get what you pay for". PSA actually makes the best parts in the price range, with the catch being slow lead times and spotty customer service. Every company that produces and ships as many parts as they do has bad ones go out, most just do a better job with customer service. People want ridiculously cheap parts, great quality and stellar customer service. It just isn't realistic. I still recommend PSA with the caveat not to be surprised if some little part is missing. Whether it's worth the potential hassle or not is a personal decision.

That is the deal, their QC sucks, there is no other way to put it. It was better in the past, but I see more how parts get bought and sold on the market having a manufactures license now and realize who the bottom feeders are and who has a good bang for the buck product. I don't know if I want to give away who has really good LPK's for a good price... since I will have the same ones for the same price... Some people like to save the "tax"...

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish

PSA doesn't make anything... they source, and they source poorly. I figured Id give them a try... even after developing a biased against them. Shame on me

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I am glad some see the light with PSA!

Oh I've seen it, but for some reason gave them a shot. I remember a thread where I posted my first experience with PSA on this board. Gave my review of two parts and got damn near flamed here bc I was hurting local business and site sponsors sold PSA.

Again, I don't know why I used this LPK, I do know it was purchased with a second before my issue with PSA, guess I "accidentally" used it.

Anywho, don't have to deal with PSA, I have another LPK, just going to install it.

Andrew50300

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Uptown NO
    Oh I've seen it, but for some reason gave them a shot. I remember a thread where I posted my first experience with PSA on this board. Gave my review of two parts and got damn near flamed here bc I was hurting local business and site sponsors sold PSA.

Again, I don't know why I used this LPK, I do know it was purchased with a second before my issue with PSA, guess I "accidentally" used it.

Anywho, don't have to deal with PSA, I have another LPK, just going to install it.

Was the LPK PSA, or the PTAC brand sold by PSA? I just put together a few of their kits in the last month. Everything seems fine with the other PSA rifles I have but the "budget" one I bought that came with a PTAC LPK is definitely a lower quality. The main thing I noticed is that the creep on the trigger is so long and rough that it really does feel like the trigger breaks twice. I pulled the hammer and compared it to a better one I have and the PTAC one is noticeably rougher. When I get a chance I'll polish it and maybe run a set screw through the hole where the grip screw goes to try and take up some of the creep, but I've been curious about whether all of the PTAC kits are this bad or if I just got an exceptionally bad one. I think it was on the AR forum where I saw PSA comment that the PTAC LPK is a "no frills" basic lower kit (hence it being cheaper), but I'm not sure exactly what "frills" you could cut corners on with a basic LPK.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom