New drop in trigger or get a trigger job??

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • autogateman

Access denied
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    maurepas la
    I have hated the trigger on my DPMS since the day I got it, and am ready to get it fixed. Do yall prefer a drop in or just drop it off to a gunsmith and let him work his magic on it?? Also who around south la would you recommend?

Thanks guys,
    Rod

candrews86

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2012
    Lake Charles
    I like the drop in triggers because they are very simple to install. It depends on how much you want to spend and what you are doing with it. I have a Geiselle SSA-e in my DPMS AR-10 and mostly target shoot out to 600 yds and deer hunt with it. Most will tell you the SSA-e is too light for duty work being that it's at about a 3.5 break. The Geiselle's are around the $180-$250 range while you could get a Rock River Arms or a JP enterprise trigger for around $120, all without needing a gunsmith for installation. The Geiselle is top notch but that's just my $.02

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Just get a drop in.

Unless you want to send your trigger to Bill Springfield.

I would just do the drop in though, they are very easy to change. You'll have to decide what trigger for yourself though. I dont really care for 2 stage triggers, I like single stage with a crisp break. For that I like Timney triggers.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Are any of these drop in for the DPMS lr308 as well?? Like the JP

I like my RRA LPK triggers but I don't think the work in this .308 lower.

Dishonored

Hunter
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    Prairieville
    Oh ok. Dang. Higher then the geiselle.
    They have the JP on the DPMS website for $119.95 but I don't know anything about that one. Just saw it a minute ago.
    asuda2ag.jpg

Last edited:

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I have hated the trigger on my DPMS since the day I got it, and am ready to get it fixed. Do yall prefer a drop in or just drop it off to a gunsmith and let him work his magic on it?? Also who around south la would you recommend?
    Thanks guys,
    Rod

You can get a terrific single stage trigger from ALG Defense.
    They make a model called ACT (Advanced Combat Trigger). It is superb.
    I have it in my rifle (Windham Weaponry HBR). The owner of ALG is the wife of the owner of Gieselle Triggers and the finish work is done by his workers.

Cost was 65.00 through Brownells. Took me 5 minutes to install.
    Basically all the parts are MILSPEC but with a special coating for slickness and the engagement areas are highly polished.

Pull is 6 pounds, but feels less. Mine still has just a bit of creep, but it is very predictable and not gritty like before.

asianpersuasion

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Seabrook/BR
    The problem with the adjustable JP is its a bitch to do. Better off sending it to JP or getting someone who knows what their doing to install it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    You can get a terrific single stage trigger from ALG Defense.
    They make a model called ACT (Advanced Combat Trigger). It is superb.
    I have it in my rifle (Windham Weaponry HBR). The owner of ALG is the wife of the owner of Gieselle Triggers and the finish work is done by his workers.

Cost was 65.00 through Brownells. Took me 5 minutes to install.
    Basically all the parts are MILSPEC but with a special coating for slickness and the engagement areas are highly polished.

Pull is 6 pounds, but feels less. Mine still has just a bit of creep, but it is very predictable and not gritty like before.

This, I got one in a lower parts kit from white oak and it feels great.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA

Thanks guys,
    Rod
    What exactly are you looking for in a new trigger? a lighter pull?
    If you don't mind spending some extra money, Geiselle makes high quality products. I use the Geiselle SSA-E and love it. My AR came with a single stage stock trigger with approx. 8lb pull. I wanted something lighter on the pull, but did not want a full blown match trigger...That's why I choose the SSA-E 2 stage.. first stage 3.5lb...second stage approx. 1lb break.

He talks about the different triggers they offer at approx. 12:00 in. SSA-E is at 19:00.

Last edited:

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    The problem with the adjustable JP is its a bitch to do. Better off sending it to JP or getting someone who knows what their doing to install it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have very little experience in gunsmithing (very very little). I am slightly mechanically inclined and it was of no issue. Just following instructions they provide makes it fairly easy.

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I have very little experience in gunsmithing (very very little). I am slightly mechanically inclined and it was of no issue. Just following instructions they provide makes it fairly easy.

Dave,
    The trigger I mentioned above, is super easy. All you need to do is push out the pins, and put the new parts in.
    There are some YouTube videos showing it done. You don't need to remove the safety either. Even though the pull is 6 pounds, it's an amazing difference

Like I said, I feel this is a terrific trigger and I'd even hunt with it- its such a smooth pull now. If you are using your AR as a target rifle or serious match shooting, you can always drop a set of JB springs and you'll get a lower pull to about 4 pounds.. but you may have issues once in a while with military hard primers.

autogateman

Access denied
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    maurepas la
    I mainly want something with less creep and a lighter pull. It doesn't have to be a super high dollar one, just better than what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom