New/first AR...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Finally put my hands on an AR-15. Traded off an my yugo under folder for a Windham Weaponry SRC. Feels like im holding an airsoft gun compared to the AK, but after shooting-I like it, but do need a couple upgrades. First thing is a sling, not looking for "tacticool ", just something practical. I also had no earthly idea the handguards were so damn expensive!(was really considering one from Troy), can anyone recommend one that won't break the bank? Only thing I plan on adding is a light, later on once I learn just the platform.

Another thing is the sights, it has Magpul flip sights- are these decent? Compared to better brands?

Last NEWB question...why is it that it will only engage in the SAFE position when charged?

Thanks for any input, or even opinions on the Windhan Weaponry rifle.
    085B7F56-13CD-4C9D-A9FD-9BDDE07B0271-9378-00000BFA5925C984.jpg

Boothkicker

Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 17, 2012
    West Monroe, LA
    Congrats on your AR! I chose a Midwest Industries free float rail and it didn't break the bank. As far as the magpul backup sights, I've never been a fan of plastic sights and I know someone that was running them and had too much movement out of them.

zbaw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I went with Midwest Industries as well on mine. Another thing about those sights is that the front one may melt with it on that gas block. When it heats up, plastic doesn't like that a whole lot. You could move it back onto the rail once you put one on it though.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Given your budget, and being limited by your railed GB, I think the Magpul MOE handguard would be a decent upgrade. Replace that front Magpul sight with a good metal fixed or folding front sight.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Thanks guys, I guess I will have to wait until I get home to measure the handguard. Any recommendations on a sling? Nothing for fancy tricks, just to make handling a little easier for your average shooter.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks guys, I guess I will have to wait until I get home to measure the handguard. Any recommendations on a sling? Nothing for fancy tricks, just to make handling a little easier for your average shooter.

Emdom Gunslinger or VTAC

While they might be what you're considering "fancy", a basic 2-point adjustable sling is a necessity in my book.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Another +1 for the magpul MOE handguard. They are inexpensive and give you options to mount a sling ring, flashlight and forward grip.

MOE HG: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG440/184

MSA sling mount: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG504/51

MOE illumination kit: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG402/46

MVG vert grip: http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG413/61

The rail handguards can be pricey. I have a $250 noveske on my pistol ar....

I would add the magpul asap sling plate and run a ms2 or ms3 sling from them. can be sued as a single point or 2 point with the MSA on the MOE HG.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG500/51

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Putting a low profile gas block would allow me to put the longer handguard, right? If so, anything I need to look for in a gas block?

Not really on a "budget", but I'd rather not put $250 down on just a handguard, if a cheaper would serve me just as well. I'd rather not have plastic

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Putting a low profile gas block would allow me to put the longer handguard, right? If so, anything I need to look for in a gas block?

Not really on a "budget", but I'd rather not put $250 down on just a handguard, if a cheaper would serve me just as well. I'd rather not have plastic

Your best option, if you are capable, is shaving down your current gas block to a lower profile. Luckily it's also free. It would be a little more work than shaving a standard FSB but very doable.

The Troy/VTAC Alpha rail is only around $150 and a great upgrade. It's what I'd use anyway. It uses the standard barrel nut so the install is a piece of cake.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Your best option, if you are capable, is shaving down your current gas block to a lower profile. Luckily it's also free. It would be a little more work than shaving a standard FSB but very doable.

The Troy/VTAC Alpha rail is only around $150 and a great upgrade. It's what I'd use anyway. It uses the standard barrel nut so the install is a piece of cake.

This sounds great. What's the difference between mine and a standard FSB?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    This sounds great. What's the difference between mine and a standard FSB?

A standard front sight just has less material to grind/cut away where as yours is a nice chunk of metal. The end result after shaving it down would be the same.

Search Youtube for "shaving FSB" or similiar and you'll get an idea of the process.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    I picked up a MI free float handguard for my shorty for $100 on the forums. Mounted to the stock barrel nut so I just had to dremel off the delta ring assembly. I use the troy flip ups on all of my rifles as I don't really like the plastic look/feel of magpul. The more plastic you remove from the gun, the less airsoft it feels IMO.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The Magpul Gen 2 sights are solid. They're a good inexpensive and lightweight option for backup sights. I don't think I'd use them if all I wasn't using a primary optic.

FWIW the Troy sights are my preference and I use the rear with a fixed DD front sight on my primary rifle. For someone on a budget though that extra money is better spent elsewhere.

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    looking good. Yes, get a BUIS steel one for the front gas block. If you go the rail route, be sure to get a rail height sight for the front if you use the rail as the sight mount.

I set my lightweight AR up similarly:

standard.jpg

Extreme lightweight set up:

standard.jpg

With loaded mag, 6.8lbs

Last edited:
    Top Bottom