New Math

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    This stuff is hard! (and stupid too)

h45iwlfb5kaqhdsilsu.jpg

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Why not just subtract the numbers....it's just easier...

--Sent From My Galaxy S4

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    By this "new math" logic, I should buy 10 lbs of ham and make as many sandwiches as possible to estimate how much ham I really need to buy from the store.

bayouteche85

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2007
    Breaux Bridge
    Here's my problem with Common Core. I can look at that problem and solve it several different ways, as can many others. That's one of the greatest things about how our minds work, each is different! However, if the student doesn't solve it EXACTLY like that example, the kid gets a zero for that problem on a test.

In a real world scenario, you honestly need a pencil and paper to solve a simple problem like that if you do it the CC way. How does that prepare these kids?

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    Wife and I are getting a taste of this with our kindergartner. Yes, I did say KINDERGARTNER! Poor child has crying fits and I'm not too far from them myself! What the HELL happened to the simple methods I was taugh in school?!

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    Here's my problem with Common Core. I can look at that problem and solve it several different ways, as can many others. That's one of the greatest things about how our minds work, each is different! However, if the student doesn't solve it EXACTLY like that example, the kid gets a zero for that problem on a test.

In a real world scenario, you honestly need a pencil and paper to solve a simple problem like that if you do it the CC way. How does that prepare these kids?

I better start buying lottery tickets and pray I win so I can afford to quit my job and homeschool my kids. Other than that I'll be in jail for whipping the math teachers ass. To me, math should be like water...... Take the path of least resistance. This is like me trying to drive to New Orleans from Lafayette via Houston. It just doesn't make sense. :dunno:

Last edited:

Vsotok10

Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    CENLA
    Remind me again, what was the reason for coming up with this new system of subtraction? Pretty sure the way it's been done for the last few centuries was solid.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I dont know how many of you are math teachers; i am not but i am married to one of the best math teachers in this world. I showed her this and her response was "that is an exercise to help teach place value within subtraction".

Hopefully the kids understand it better than us old people.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    Above someone mentions Kindergarten. My wife teaches Kindergarten, the math is the least of the worries coming your way. I just saw, while she was ranting about this crappy curriculum, how they are required to teach the alphabet and letters now. While it may be hard to explain in text form, simple put, a letter is not an "A" but is only a sound, and as such cant be referred to as a "letter" and must always be referred to as a sound. The alphabet, from what I am gathering, wont be taught. Which granted, cant be taught if sounds must be used.

If some of you are the correct age, you may remember the "sound it out" rule. Which is the reason I cant spell worth a crap, BUT this new stuff is far worse than sound it out!

Math is bad, and there are some seriously twisted/demented problems, but none will be as detrimental as the kids not being able to speak, spell, and comprehend.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I dont know how many of you are math teachers; i am not but i am married to one of the best math teachers in this world. I showed her this and her response was "that is an exercise to help teach place value within subtraction".

Hopefully the kids understand it better than us old people.

I would somewhat agree, BUT its not being used as an exercise. It is indeed and lesson is nearly all cases it is outlined in. While Im sure she understands what she has been told, in form it doesn't teach place value, it teaches simplifying and rounding. Much like calculating the tip at a restaurant, $45.00 (15% tip). find the easy 10%, $4.50. Now add half of the 10%, $2.25 + $4.50 = $6.75/15% The following also teaches place value;

*you place the remaining value under the freaking line and get your answer.

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    I would somewhat agree, BUT its not being used as an exercise. It is indeed and lesson is nearly all cases it is outlined in. While Im sure she understands what she has been told, in form it doesn't teach place value, it teaches simplifying and rounding. Much like calculating the tip at a restaurant, $45.00 (15% tip). find the easy 10%, $4.50. Now add half of the 10%, $2.25 + $4.50 = $6.75/15% The following also teaches place value;

I lol'd at that. I am all about finding a better and faster way to solve a problem, but the CC stuff don't seem to be doing that.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    I've been speaking against it for years, mainly due to its roots. I knew very little about what it would look like in practice. It still pisses me off when I hear new people who hate it but only because they have to teach it (as my wife) or have kids who cant make an A anymore. I think everyone needs to read into the who what when where and why of Common Core. It should be easy to see its not tinfoil conspiracy stuff any longer.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I literally just finished helping my kindergartener do her math homework, and shes going take a bath.

I don't see what the big deal is with common core. I'm not a teacher and I'm not related to anybody who is, and I make it a point not to get super- political, but from what I can tell so far they're just teaching kids to find more than one way to solve problems. I mean come on, guys- right now I have a device in my pocket that I can use to access the entire sum of human knowledge within seconds. Yet I work with people that can't figure out how to format a .xlsx file. Maybe it's actually time to think about teaching our kids to be good at solving problems instead of memorizing charts.

Again, I couldn't care less about whatever the politics of the thing are, but from the outside looking in, it sorta looks like a step in the right direction...

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA

Yes, I am Absolutely sure she knows.

Top Bottom