New member interested in long range build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSUTigrrr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2014
    I'd like to learn more about competitive shooting around south LA and start working on a long range build. Long time shooter, new member. Any input on starting my long range project with a Remington 700 tactical 308?

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    At what distance do you consider Long Range? Long Range to the NRA is over 600 yards. Mid-range is 600 Yards. Knowing this will help with advice from folks.
    Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol club in Donaldsonville holds 600 yard matches on the 1st and 2nd Saturday of the month. You can come shoot or come observe and ask questions.
    The 1st Saturday is NRA approved.
    The 2nd Saturday is our Field Precision Rifle match. We encourage folks who aren't sure about shooting this distance, their equipment does not meet NRA approval for the 1st Saturday match or they have a muzzle brake or want to shoot suppressed to try this one.
    You can find more information here-http://paloaltogunclub.com/
    Look under Match Programs

Overall, your rifle should be fine with a few tweaks here and there. Do you plan to reload?

Last edited:

LSUTigrrr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2014
    Long range for me would be 600, but thanks for correcting on the mid-range comment. I live 15 min from Palo Alto RR and was wanting to get into shooting in a few competitions as a new hobby outside of hunting season. I've shot as a guest with a friend years ago. I will have to checkout an event before I invest in mid-range rifle. I didn't consider each competition may have rules on what can be used. Thanks for info, will definitely look into it.

Last edited:

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    You might also want to take a look at the Savage model 11 in .308. That trigger is made with black magic and sorcery.

Top Bottom