New Orleans guns stores

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Does such a thing exist? The only store I can find online is James Cohen & Sons who deals with high end antique firearms. Do the pawn shops in New Orleans sell firearms or does everyone there have to go to Jefferson Parish to legally buy a firearm?

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I have heard the same thing. That New Orleans Banned gun stores and sales decades ago. It was why the Large Sportsman Show at the Super Dome had to be relocated.
    The Louisiana Sportsman Show? I thought they relocated to the Lamar Dixon center in Gonzales after Katrina and they just got comfortable there.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I was told some time ago that New Orleans legislation dictated a 33% tax on firearm purchases thus banning gun stores by statute. Now, this is purely hearsay and I’d really like it if any one of you can debunk it. Anyone?

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    They had to relocate before Katrina. Show was never the same after getting booted from New Orleans.
    Ahh.... ok. I thought they left after Katrina. I went the first year they had it in Gonzales and was not impressed. Haven't been back since.

Someone mentioned ordinances so I went searching. Found this, start reading at Sec. 54-346.: https://library.municode.com/la/new...VIOFAFPUGE_DIV2OFAGPUSAWE_S54-350INRESAFIDEDE

Apparently firearm sales and even ammunition sales have to be reported to the NOPD within 24 hours of said sale. WTF?!?!?!?

New Orleans used to be a great place to visit, now it's just a great place to die.

Last edited:

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    So, does this section mean that there are no personal firearms sales or transfers in NOLA, as well?

• Sec. 54-346. - Unlawful to sell or transfer firearms; exception.

It shall be unlawful for any person or dealer in the city to sell or transfer or for any person to acquire in any manner, any firearm except as authorized by this division.
      (Code 1956, § 42-63)

Xeon64

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Prairieville, LA
    So, does this section mean that there are no personal firearms sales or transfers in NOLA, as well?

• Sec. 54-346. - Unlawful to sell or transfer firearms; exception.

It shall be unlawful for any person or dealer in the city to sell or transfer or for any person to acquire in any manner, any firearm except as authorized by this division.
      (Code 1956, § 42-63)
    Now I know. Just tell someone from NOLA selling a Gun to meet outside the parish. Plus I am not going into New Orleans for anything these days.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    It get's better.
    Orleans Parish considers a firearm to be anything that expels a projectile through mechanical, explosive, or pneumatic means.

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Ahh.... ok. I thought they left after Katrina. I went the first year they had it in Gonzales and was not impressed. Haven't been back since.

Someone mentioned ordinances so I went searching. Found this, start reading at Sec. 54-346.: https://library.municode.com/la/new...VIOFAFPUGE_DIV2OFAGPUSAWE_S54-350INRESAFIDEDE

Apparently firearm sales and even ammunition sales have to be reported to the NOPD within 24 hours of said sale. WTF?!?!?!?

New Orleans used to be a great place to visit, now it's just a great place to die.
    WOW. A close reading of those firearms related ordinances is eye-opening, that's some 100% Grade-A Bull$#!+ right there. So IF NOLA had any actual gun shops, they would be expecting to receive a duplicate copy of the 4473 from the dealer so they could, I assume, file it. And receive identity information on everyone purchasing ammunition, too. What a crock!

So the LA preemption law states local ordinances shall not be adopted after July 1985 that are more restrictive than state law, and I noted most of those were referenced as being carried over from "Code 1956," some with modifications or updates more recently, so I'm guessing that somehow they have held up against challenge, or no one had bothered trying to challenge them? I can see where it would be less hassle for someone to just open up in JP knowing they'd still get the business coming over the parish line, than to try to fight a court case over it.

Top Bottom