New to Bayou

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pea.shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    +1 on what your hubby said! If y'all already have a 9mm, then it seems a no-brainer to find another 9mm you're comfortable with and buy ammo buy the caseload.

I guess my issue with the 9mm is that I feel like I can't reset quick enough, so I worry about only being able to get one shot off in an emergency situation. Is there a trick to strengthen my stance/grip/arm muscels so that I would feel more comfy or is it more of a round issue (in that I haven't shot enough through it and just need to keep working on it?) To be fair, I have probably put through a good number of rounds, but definitely isn't my preferred gun to shoot at the range.

Last edited:

pea.shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    She carries in whatever purse she's using, she has a lot... I'm afraid to open her closet sometimes. ;) She carries a full size Ruger 9mm, which has a external safety, and she keeps it in one of the larger center pockets. I wouldn't keep it in any side pockets or in any non-closing pockets. There are a lot of concealed weapons purses out there, but wifey doesn't own any of those.

I am not a huge purse collector, but I haven't seen one that I would buy either. Hmmm, wonder if I could justify a Kate Spade purse then, since I would have to keep a full size gun in an inner pocket........ :)

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Your problem might be the way your gripping the gun. Not knowing how you learned or who taught you how to hold a firearm, it would be hard to determine what you know or don't know. If your having a problem getting a firearm back on target fast enough, then there could be a couple of issues, one being the grip and the the other the type of firearm your using might not fit you, ie: the grip could be oversized for you. Just some thoughts from an old guy.

Beauxdog

Last edited:

pea.shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Your problem might be the way your gripping the gun. Not knowing how you learned or who taught you how to hold a firearm, it would be hard to determine what you know or don't know. If your having a problem getting a firearm back on target fast enough, then there could be a couple of issues, one being the grip and the the other the type of firearm your using might not fit you, ie: the grip could be oversized for you. Just some thoughts from an old guy.

Beauxdog

Good to know. I don't have a ton of training (hell, I barely have any training, who am I kidding), and it certainly could be my grip. I am open to any suggestions. Is there a 9mm that you are aware of that has a nice grip for me to maybe see if it is the grip, or something else?

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    I guess my issue with the 9mm is that I feel like I can't reset quick enough, so I worry about only being able to get one shot off in an emergency situation. Is there a trick to strengthen my stance/grip/arm muscels so that I would feel more comfy or is it more of a round issue (in that I haven't shot enough through it and just need to keep working on it?) To be fair, I have probably put through a good number of rounds, but definitely isn't my preferred gun to shoot at the range.

The trick is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! The more you get used to it (using good shooting habits), the more comfortable and proficient you'll be. Separate hand and arm strengthening exercises with weights at home definitely wouldn't hurt, either! Naturally, as you shoot more often, you will be exercising those particular hand/arm muscles and they will grow stronger over time.

Here's a decent guide (with good photos) on handgun grip, stance, breathing and aiming.

Last edited:

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Welcome aboard. I would suggest finding a training class. There are many people here who offer them (see the vendor's section). Geaux Shooting would be a good one for your first class.

You may also want to check out http://www.corneredcat.com/Contents/

We don't have as many female participants on this site, but there might be useful info there.

pea.shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The trick is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! The more you get used to it (using good shooting habits), the more comfortable and proficient you'll be. Separate hand and arm strengthening exercises with weights at home definitely wouldn't hurt, either! Naturally, as you shoot more often, you will be exercising those particular hand/arm muscles and they will grow stronger over time.

Here's a decent guide (with good photos) on handgun grip, stance, breathing and aiming.

Thanks!

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    As stated by others, lots of practice is key to your comfort level with the gun. And a training class is a very good idea. A skilled instructor may identify something as simple as your thumb placement, or basic stance, which could have a huge impact on your results. In 9mm, there are a ton of options. When my significant other started shooting, she held and tried lots of types before settling on a Beretta PX4 in compact size (it comes full-size, compact and sub-compact). This gun has a rotating barrel design that seems to manage recoil better, for her it does allow that second and third shot. The gun (and many other styles) comes with three different backstraps (handle/grip parts) that can be interchanged to afford the most comfortable grip for your hand size, finger length. Ask lots of questions, and try as many as you can until one seems to fit for you.

Once you settle on "your" gun, buy some snap caps, or practice rounds so that you may practice anytime at home without damaging your gun by dry-firing. As stated by others, repetition will build your muscles, but it will also build muscle memory, which can be crucial in some situations.

Welcome to BS and good luck!

Top Bottom