New to Bow Hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M+PMAN

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    What's a good economic hunting bow? I've shot a now many years ago but never hunted with one. Would like to start hunting deer and hogs this year. Where's a good start?

Ijaw

Unknown Camper
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Bayou Tigre, LA
    There are many choices, but a good economic all around bow is a PSE, you can always UPgrade to a HOYT later on. :beer:

Last edited:

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Look around for a used Bowtech Tomcat. It was discontinued a few yrs ago, for a "better" kit bow, but the newer model Isn't as good. It was sold as a complete kit for $450-500 new, so you should be able to get one a lot less, that's probably not shot/used much.
    It can be detuned to learn on, then cranked up later. (lbs of draw weight) With a 31" draw, and 65lbs, it shot 292fps....PLENTY fast for hunting around here. Has a generous brace height(for you, that means it's forgiving towards YOUR mistakes), and pretty quiet.
    It's short, and light.
    I had the newer model, which is a dual-cam. If you find one that's a single cam, it's the original/older model, and I have no experience with that model.
    I "donated" mine to a friend's son when I upgraded to the Insanity. Sometimes I wish I hadn't.
    My $.02

Last edited:
    Top Bottom