New to Competition shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zero.40

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    PLaquemine, LA
    like the title says I am new to the Competition seen. i am very much interested into getting into competitive shooting. lately i have been shooting my pistol (1911) but i am open for anything. would like to know if there are any good clubs i should join that have competition shooting. i am located in White Castle. thanks for the help

Zero.40

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    PLaquemine, LA
    Look up Lagator.org there is a match this sunday in Amite

i do not think i am ready for a match right now. i need to learn what goes on at a match so that i do not go to one looking like a dummy. with everyone looking at me and say look at the noob lol. but thanks for the site.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I don't know about other matches, but the one I go to is totally no stress.

My wife is not no Bob Munden (do a youtube search if you don't know who he is, I mentioned him because she shoots SA revolvers) and she came out to our match this month. She ended up just shooting one cylinder per course (even when they called for up to 21), because she didn't want to hold everyone up trying to unload and reload a side latch single action. Anyway, the point is no one minded her doing what made her feel comfortable and no one made her feel dumb- we are just glad to have you out and shoot with us.

I had the same concerns you do before I attended a match. I shot a match last month with a man who holds many world records- super down to earth cool guy. Even though he smoked me (and everyone else, for that matter), he never made me FEEL like he was smoking me.

You will enjoy it- don't worry about it.

Zero.40

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    PLaquemine, LA
    I don't know about other matches, but the one I go to is totally no stress.

My wife is not no Bob Munden (do a youtube search if you don't know who he is, I mentioned him because she shoots SA revolvers) and she came out to our match this month. She ended up just shooting one cylinder per course (even when they called for up to 21), because she didn't want to hold everyone up trying to unload and reload a side latch single action. Anyway, the point is no one minded her doing what made her feel comfortable and no one made her feel dumb- we are just glad to have you out and shoot with us.

I had the same concerns you do before I attended a match. I shot a match last month with a man who holds many world records- super down to earth cool guy. Even though he smoked me (and everyone else, for that matter), he never made me FEEL like he was smoking me.

You will enjoy it- don't worry about it.

thanks for the vote of confidence. with that i might just go check out that match in amite this sunday if i cna find some directions there. i might have to bring some friends up there with me and get them into it to. :) oh and also what would be a good pistol for matchs like this. right now i have a springfield armory 1911 .45, taurus .40, and a walther p22. any good recomendations would be nice. and a web site to where i can get a good mag belt at. thanks for all the help.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    the directions should be on the sight, click on target TPS(Amite), its easy to find, exit I55 at Amite take a right on 16 go till you cross over some RR-tracks, second light take a right(its about 150yrds)go to the end and turn left, go to the end and left again(1/4 mile) and you at the range. to shoot the match you need a 9mm or greater cal. With what you have you can shoot single stack, limited 10 or limited , limited you can fill your mags to capacity, if your short on mags that would be a good choice, you will need 30 rounds for some courses of fire, don't worry about being the new guy, everybody was once and people don't remember if you screwed up your first time, hell I damn near screw up every time:D its all about having fun and being safe Max's Choice.com sells belts and mag holders so came on out bring some friends and have some fun

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    When I first started, I went and watched 1 match just to get the lay of the land. I met everyone and asked alot of questions about procedure and equipment. the next thing I new, someone put a pitol in my hand and told me to "get after it". I was hooked. It took me like 45 seconds to shoot a stage I could do in under 10 seconds now. Do not worry about feeling like a new shooter, everyone has done it. Take your time, be safe and have fun. The Range Officers will let you know if you are about to do something unsafe. Just let everyone know that it is your first match, and you will be turning away help at the end.

Just have fun!!!!

dmiculek

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gramercy
    Cajun Action Shooters in Thibodaux would likely be your closest club. Info can be found at www.lagator.org Nice folks and a good match. Whatever club you choose to shoot at you'll find new shooters are always welcome. So don't be shy.
    They also have an informal match/practice session at Precision Indoor Range in Baton Rouge on Monday nites at 6:30 and it usually is over at 8:00 or so.
    Only $10 to shoot.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Informal match in Baker also, we start at 6.30 to 8.30 Wed nights, The Range is off of Jefferson St. this is a good place to practice not to crowded, normally about 4 to 7 shooters

BayouSlide

See ya at the range
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    On the Bayou Teche, La.
    One other idea...if you're still working on your draw, you can also shoot steel with the Lafourche Speed Shooters in Thibodaux the second Saturday of the month at the same range as Cajun Action. You can shoot from "the low ready position" instead of from the holster until you're up to speed.

I have NEVER seen anyone at any of the clubs I shoot with do anything but go out of their way to make a new shooter welcome. Extra coaching, extra attention to safety from R.O.s, loaner gear...new shooters are the lifeblood of the sport and we go out of our way to make them feel welcome and eager to come back, no matter what their skill level.

Heck, most of us actively "recruit" new shooters...because most of us got started when someone told us about a match and how we should come out and give it a try.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    The best thing you can do is just go to a match. I went to some matches for the first this past year. I have either met or got to know some people that are great. You may be suprised at the level of shooting you witness. Nothing improves the breed like competition.

The biggest hurdle is finding what you need to bring. After that I just worried about safety & rules. I went slow & deliberate just to get through it with no problems. If you have safe gun handling down you will be fine.

This was the same at pistol and rifle matches. Check out the different type of matches. There is a whole world of shooting out there. Some matches like bowling Pins & PPC were more fun than I expected and a good deal. After going to a steel plate match I was impressed to see what was involved by the guys that put the match on. The entry fee seemed insufficient at the end. Matches are a great value.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    If you are interestedin rifle shooting, there is a NRA highpower practice at the Ascension Parish Sheriff's range in Gonzales, tomorrow, Sunday Dec. 28th. Be there for 7:45 and I will teacch you what you need to know. I have all of the loaner equipment you would need. You will have to buy ammo, but if you can't get it in time, I can sell you some. We shoot National Match AR-15s from standing, sitting and prone position.

We shoot highpower at the Palo Alto range in Donaldsonville which is near you if you want more information, email me at dzelenka at couhigpartners dot com. Ask around on Bayoushooters.com, a number of the guys have shot with us. I am pretty certain they have universally enjoyed themselves.

Zero.40

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    PLaquemine, LA
    wow thanks for all the advice yall gave me. yeha i am going to try to make it out there for the match in Amite. but i am just going to watch not compete.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    i do not think i am ready for a match right now. i need to learn what goes on at a match so that i do not go to one looking like a dummy. with everyone looking at me and say look at the noob lol. but thanks for the site.

They do not have that match listed on the site. Are you sure that it is still on given the holidays.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom