Next Time - Preparing Now

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Had to fight with my wife to move our 20' travel trailer and vehicles into an open area. She thought the TT and vehicles would be better protected from the wind under the trees by the house. I won the argument, and an elm tree fell where the TT was normally parked, and a maple tree fell where the F250 was normally parked. The vehicles were unharmed in the open yard where I parked them.

If you have the option, park all your vehicles away from where trees can reach them if they fall.

Years ago during hurricane katrina, we gathered at my parents home for the duration. My sister in law parked her vehicle under a power line and next to the electric pole. I told her that she should move it in case the pole or line came down on her vehicle. My brother said no, park it there like I told you to. Well I had a smile on my face the next morning when sure enough, the pole and line came down right smack on the vehicle. My brother was mad as all get out and I just smiled and smiled as a way to say, "I told you so". I think he was madder at being proven wrong than the pole and line on their vehicle.

Last edited:

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    Anyone have a good link to some fuel cans that won’t leak. I drive an SUV and the smell can be nauseating but also I had a container tip over once and spilled gas in the car. Luckily I had a rubber cargo mat that caught it all. But I think I need a better gas can

I think the smell is coming from the can venting and I believe most newer cans have that as a "feature". As far as spilling I find I have to really crank the cap down to make it seal really well and not leak even when pouring the gas from the can.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I was grateful to have my KLR650 topped off before the storm. It made it easier to run short errands. Weaving in and out of traffic and gas waiting lines was a breeze! It can go just about anywhere I could want it to go while burning less fuel than my lifted Sequoia. I can get over 200 miles per tank if I don't crank the throttle constantly like an ******* ...like I usually do.

Last edited:

iomg8

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 12, 2020
    lafayette, la
    My plan is to do a 15-20kw solar panel, with a 4 day battery backup, and an electric Truck/SUV. This wouldn't be in a year, but in the next 3-5 years I think. I keep enough food for 7 days, so I should be ok there. I have a natural gas stove, but my water heater and oven is electric. Hence why I want solar panels.

currentlyI have a 7k generator (gas) that also does propane (at 6200 I think?) and I keep 10 gallons of gas and 2 5 gallon propane tanks. I figured that would give me enough electricity for 3-4 days at 2-4 hours a day. Once I am out of fuel and no gas around, I would travel where power and fuel, making sure one car stays full of gas.

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Wife and I didn't prep at all but we were lucky in Zachary. Lights went off twice for a total of about 8 minutes. We almost felt guilty after hearing horror stories from others south of BR. Our biggest worry was when the lights went out the first time. the recliners on the couch were up and they are powered by motors. Oh and we didn't have any flash lights. We own some but we never got them out. We have a generator from Gustav but last time I ran it was about a year ago. I was hoping if we needed it it would start. I replaced the carb and ran it until it was dry.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Wife and I didn't prep at all but we were lucky in Zachary. Lights went off twice for a total of about 8 minutes. We almost felt guilty after hearing horror stories from others south of BR. Our biggest worry was when the lights went out the first time. the recliners on the couch were up and they are powered by motors. Oh and we didn't have any flash lights. We own some but we never got them out. We have a generator from Gustav but last time I ran it was about a year ago. I was hoping if we needed it it would start. I replaced the carb and ran it until it was dry.

At least once every couple months, fire up that generator and let it run for a little while.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La

I have been using the VP Racing cans since 2004 they even gave me 2 pink ones as display items. I untill now never filled them.
    I figured better fill every thing we had.
    Here they are next to the blue ones.
    Make sure you get the hose bender when you get a filler hose.
    They do not smell or leak as they have a large O-Ring in the caps.
    Off Road Use Only. As in not ok per Goverment for gas like common red gas cans. Not supposed to be used other than track use _ off road use etc.
    Notes:
    This item is not a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB (CARB) or other state or federal agencies. So if the gas police show up ya on your own.

I know you are thinking I have never seen a lawn mower on the I-10. The deal is there are new rules on certification on gas cans.
    Safety wise new cans are made so as to not over fill when they disperse fuel. VP and other brands will really dump gas fast out the hose if the vent is fully opened and jug turned down. They are intended to fill a,tank fast if need be.
    So a slight crackopen vent and you are fine.
    I also have VP- Racing 15 Gallon drums that used to contain 110 With Lead.and a hand pump. Still light weight when full and hand pump right into the tank. Whatever that that may be. Formally used to buy 110 and fill my old car.

Attachments

• 20210902_164623.jpg
      20210902_164623.jpg
      251.2 KB · Views: 61
    Last edited:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    At least once every couple months, fire up that generator and let it run for a little while.

I don't have anything to put a whole bunch of load on it. I need to find out how many amps our dryer draws starting and steady state. We have a chest freezer outside but I don't seeing it drawing that much current.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Don't really need to put much of a load on the generator, just need to run it. It's really just to keep fuel fresh in the carburetor so it doesn't gum up the jet/needle valve/seat inside the carb. But also good to make sure it's producing.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    You don't need a lot of load . A power tool of some type will work . Just something to prove it's still " Genn'ing " . People will tell you that you need to load it down and heat up the windings , blah , blah . I've never done it and don't know anybody that does .

folivier

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    A portable electric heater works great to put a load on a genny. And it's not just to keep fresh gas in the carb it's also to make sure the generator portion is working.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Best gas cans you can buy are No-Spill brand. At least that has been my experience.

Never store gas cans inside a vehicle.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA
    Tons of great advice in this thread.

Moved here last summer but was pretty well prepared for this. Had propane and plenty of gas for the generator. Ran it on propane and had to canvass to get some more LP but never got desperate enough to have to use gas.

We were without power for 5 days. Had all needs taken care of but could stand to improve on comfort. Working on backfilling supplies used and other things that could increase comfort.

Thanks again for the safe input and advice from the forum braintrust! Most helpful

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    A portable electric heater works great to put a load on a genny. And it's not just to keep fresh gas in the carb it's also to make sure the generator portion is working.

This what I do, set on high. Pretty much that’s the only job that heater does now is to put a load on the gen when I test run it every other month.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Expanding my list of preppers in my area

Haha. I have x2 6500W Caterpillar Industrial grade generators, a naturally fed pond in my backyard for fishing, rabbits and squirrels galore, truck, trailer, plenty of ammo, and know how to make due with what I have. Also, ive been a Automotive Technician my whole life. If something breaks, I can usually figure out how to fix it. And have the tools to do so. Lol

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    Haha. I have x2 6500W Caterpillar Industrial grade generators, a naturally fed pond in my backyard for fishing, rabbits and squirrels galore, truck, trailer, plenty of ammo, and know how to make due with what I have. Also, ive been a Automotive Technician my whole life. If something breaks, I can usually figure out how to fix it. And have the tools to do so. Lol

Are those Cat generators diesel or gas and are they low rpm generators? I am just asking because I am curious.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom