Nicholls State University email

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    This is an email I received from the president of Nicholls State University here is Thibodaux:

May 6, 2008

TO: Students

FR: Stephen T. Hulbert
    President

RE: House Bill 199, Concealed Handguns on College Campuses

Last week, House Bill 199 passed out of the Committee on Administration of Criminal Justice by a vote of 11-3. Representative Damon Baldone supported that action, which places this legislation on the House Floor.

Previously, I joined my presidential colleagues in a resolution in opposition to HB 199. To my knowledge, no Louisiana college or university chancellor or president supports this measure.

We do not oppose the right of the individual to carry a registered concealed weapon, but we strongly believe that no one but law enforcement personnel in the pursuit of their responsibilities should be armed on a college or university campus.

At Nicholls and elsewhere across the state, effort has been made to enhance safety and security systems, including specialized training for university police. We believe. that in the event of a crisis situation, trained law enforcement personnel should handle the situation.

Please contact your House member to express your concern over HB 199 and the presence of concealed handguns on the Nicholls campus. The link for contacting members of the Louisiana Legislature is as follows:

http://legis.state.la.us/members.htm

Thank you.

I got this last week and its been eating at me and pissing me off the more I think about it. His and the school's opinion are so out of whack it just drives me. So i'm asking for some help as to what should I do? I'm going to send him an email voicing my opinions on how I disagree with him, but what I need is some pointers and references that can show him that CC on a college campus doesn't mean that all every student on campus is going to have a gun, and that the police aren't every where at all times. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Josh

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I'm sure VT thought their LEO on campus could handle situations. There is simply not enough security at schools. Make sure to mention that just because there are signs posted saying no guns allowed, that will not stop a criminal with intent on shooting multiple people. Schools are hot spots for shootings because of the lack of resistance that a criminal would encounter.

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    Stephen Hulbert is a *****.

Maybe you could find one of those Blue Light Emergency phones located around the campus and just call for help. Thibodaux PD is only minutes away. (I'm not knocking Thibodaux PD) it's just fact.

This is what Stephen Hulbert has to say about your protection on campus.

By now, most of you have heard about the tragic shootings that happened earlier this morning on the Baton Rouge campus of Louisiana Technical College. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the BR LTC campus community. In response to this terrible tragedy, I wanted to reassure you that Nicholls is prepared to respond to a crisis situation.

In the event of a crisis situation, Nicholls State University will communicate vital information as quickly and efficiently as possible in order to provide the greatest safety for our students, faculty and staff.

The university will use a variety of communication methods to notify constituents of a crisis situation. Following an immediate crisis assessment, the appropriate means of communication will be determined and implemented. Based on the unique circumstances of the crisis, Nicholls will employ one or more of the following communication tools to notify its students, faculty and staff:

Web site: notice posted to university home page and Blackboard
    E-mail: broadcast message to campus e-mail addresses
    Telephone: broadcast voice mail to campus extensions and posted to emergency alert hotline (985) 448-4636 and 1-866-709-8927
    Media: broadcast message on the university television and radio stations and media alert distributed to all area print and broadcast media representatives
    Call boxes: broadcast message to passers by
    Public address system: broadcast message to occupants of the university student union and cafeteria
    Nicholls has an extensive Emergency Preparedness Plan in place that includes procedures to ensure rapid response to a crisis situation. All crisis communication tools are tested and evaluated on a regular basis.

Nicholls offers free counseling services to all students, faculty and staff. Private counseling is provided by licensed counselors prepared to respond during crisis situations. For more information on the counseling services available to the university community, please visit www.nicholls.edu/counseling.

!!!FAIL!!!
    Here he is knowing full well what happened, and yet want's to implement "ONLY" the same security measures that failed above.

Last edited:

ReilleysMom32

Drunkie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    NOLA
    What you should do is grab a stop watch and a piece of paper. Go to each blue light on campus (at random and not on the same day), hit the button, time how long it takes them to respond, and record the data. Do not notify them what you are doing. Then take your data and put it in a nice little spreadsheet and present it to the President, informing him that in the time it takes a LEO to respond, "X" amount of people will be wounded or killed.

Basically, take the VT and Columbine shootings, figure out how long each took place for, and divide by the amount of people killed/wounded per minute for each situation. Then compare it to the times for each Blue Light response and tell them that this many people will die because the LEO took this long to get there. And reiterate the fact that if people are CC on campus, their response time will be less than half of that of a LEO.

Just a thought.

lilmoose0

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    What you should do is grab a stop watch and.......
    Good Idea RM32, BUT, I know they recently installed some cameras in the area, and that might get our boy in some hot water.:p

I know the scenario the school admistrators have in their head is that it will be like the O.K. Corral on campus if students were allowed to carry. Remember, these people think with more intelect in stead of practical reasoning. It can sometimes be a downfall having one's head stuck up their ass.:mamoru:

But in the same light, He could ask to see if they tested the responce time on those phone boxes, and use that data. If I'm not mistaken TPD's responce time was in the 3 min mark.

Maybe find out what the protocol is for the campus during a crisis.
    You also have to factor in the time lapse between when the incedence starts and when it's reported. That could be a huge gap.
    These people will never learn until it's too late. Drugs are "Banned" from campus, but I know first hand that it is present.

Last edited:

ReilleysMom32

Drunkie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    NOLA
    Well, even if there are cameras and he does get "caught," he could just say he's doing a study for a project and needs to collect data. Hell, I'll go do it over at UNO and give him the data there.

lilmoose0

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    Maybe talk with the Chief of Police & the Sheriff, and voice your concerns wih them. See if they would have any data that they can contribute. Now I warn you, you might not,(By might not, I mean WON'T) be welcomed warmly.

My advice is to collect any data you can, even from campus security. Compare it to that of Virginia Tech, Columbine, and the Louisiana Tech pre incedent and as ReilleysMom32 pointed out, figure time per person shot.

I know it's a lot of work, but it will show you are dedicated to your cause.

Also find data proving that CC has help communities.
    Show them all that is required for legal CC. Document their responce, and if negative, go to the NRA.

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Thanks guys I appreciated the advice. I got 2 more email that I didn't really notice and they were both form the student government association president lobbying for students to vote against HB 199, but not one from anyone who supports the bill. Moose you're right, the blue call boxes are a joke every time I pass one up on my way to class I chuckle to my self cause I know that if the SHTF the call boxes wouldn't be worth a ****.

I just started NSU this spring and about halfway through the semester they implemented their emergency alert system, it consists of calling and texting your cellphone with an emergency message, but in the class I had from 9:00 to 10:30, you DON'T have cell reception.

Even though I can't "legally" carry anything to defend myself, I always position my self in the classroom so that if something was to happen I can make a quick exit and get to my truck and get the hell outta dodge.

I'm gonna work on this and try to get a group together to fight this crap. I know I must have worn a BS.com tee shirt at least 30 times to class and I have stickers all over my truck, if anyone on here goes to NSU and wants to help me with this send me a pm, or look me up on face book. Josh Guillot

Top Bottom