"no Assault Rifles Allowed" Wtf

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    A neighbor and a friend went to the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's range to do some shooting and told me they had a sign that said "NO ASSAULT RIFLES ALLOWED" WTF. It has been a long time since I went shooting there because they are always closed for one reason or another and now this sh*t. Do they have any restrictions at other ranges that you guys go to? Just want to know in case I decide to meet someone to do some shooting out of town. I'm glad I'm a member at Sothern Shooting in Thibodaux because there's not much you can't do.

Rant off. Just wanted to know if other ranges have similar BS restrictions. I suppose the assault bullets do more damage.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Bill, the range officer, at TPSO has told me before to shoot OUTSIDE of the covered area. Basically, the furthest rifle bench to the right so that the noise is not reflected back towards the training center as much. I'm not taking up for them in the slightest, but pretty sure that their ban on assault rifles has more to do with the noise and likely hood of being rapid fired than anything else. That range was built to serve for TPSO training first and foremost so when they have something going on over there, the public gets the boot. Lately, instead of just closing the range, they're keeping it open and trying to cut down on noise in this respect. It's the same reasoning why you'll almost never get to shoot pistols from the covered area. In the last 8 years he's ALWAYS asked me to go downrange and shoot with my target against the backstop.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    So you guys are saying there is such a thing called "assault rifle" ? I thought that was just a term invented by gun fearing people.

smith625

REVOLVER DRIVER
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 12, 2008
    port vincent louisiana
    The reason for shooting close to the backstop is two fold, one reason is to keep shots of the ground which then needs to be repaired, and two errant shots over the berm from a distance, from an ad or such.

southernk9cop

Resident Zombie Hunter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 3, 2007
    Houma
    Guys, that's my department's range, it sucks but that policy going into effect was inevitable. And as someone stated above, someone has ruined it for everyone else. The range could have been completely shut down for public use. They are trying to avoid that.

D0NNY

That guy
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Houma, La
    I probably should have mentioned this in one of my previous posts about the TPSO, but I guess I overlooked that since I don't own an "assault rifle".

Also, my guess about the pistol range is that all the concrete paths laid there would probably cause some chance for ricochets to occur, and that people would start shooting the other targets and non-target items on the range (those wood silohuettes they use to block the paths).

lilmoose0

Crack don't smoke it self
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 3, 2007
    Thibodaux
    I haven't been there in a while. I think the last time I was there it was when I went with my wife to take her hunter safety course a few years ago.
    I'll only use it if I'm in houma and need to sight in a hunting rifle.

Without a badge, don't expect to be able to do any defensive training there.

I must say they do keep it clean and safe for the public. Most people are put off by the rules though.

Top Bottom