non-AR 5.56

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanker

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2015
    Metairie, Louisana
    Looking for opinions/insights/observations from those who have experience shooting or owning semi auto "battle" rifles that aren't ARs. What do you like about them, what do they do that an AR doesn't, accuracy, robustness, would you rather have the non-AR if you could only have one, etc. I know there are folks who will never, no matter what, ever have anything except an AR. I love ARs also, but I'm looking for some robust, reliable, and accurate alternatives.

jackinpox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    Westwego, LA
    First rifle I bought was a sig 556 still love to go shoot it. It is a bit front heavy because of the gas piston but I have never had any issues with it.

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    First rifle I bought was a sig 556 still love to go shoot it. It is a bit front heavy because of the gas piston but I have never had any issues with it.

+1 on sig556. I love mine and it has run flawlessly. It is a bit heavy but it is a smooth shooter.

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    I bought and pretty much love the Bushmaster ACR platform. I don't even own an AR15 any more (but I do have an AR10). Ditto the part about being more front heavy than ARs....but that's the price you pay for a clean running rifle.

GO DAWGS

Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Aug 24, 2014
    Baton Rouge, LA
    No! Unfortunately! I want to shoot one side by side with my 16. We have a pistol version at my shop and it seems very well made. Youre also talking to a big CZ fan!

I've been thinking about giving one a try, but would like to put my hands on one before purchasing. If you get the opportunity to shoot one, please post reviews.

tuan

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    New Orleans
    I loved my Ruger sr556 front heavy because it's piston driven but it shot like a dream/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    H&K, Galil and Styer (Aug) all make excellent rifles in 5.56. I've shot some of each and enjoyed them all. The Aug was my favorite. Very smart weapon, although I still find it hard to get over the looks. The primary reason I stick with the AR platform is because I've invested in them since about 1980, I know them inside out and no one can argue that as far as ease of repair and parts availability, they cannot be beat.

That being said, I still want a Styer Aug and wouldn't mind test driving a Tavor

oldsman350

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Hammond
    RCM192 I see your a big CZ Fan too! I've recently bought a BREN pistol and I love it! Shoots awesome. I definitely want to SBR my Bren to go along with the SBR Scorpion evo. I think I have a CZ addiction, 2 Evo's, 1 Bren and a CZ P-07 Urban grey. My other favorite non-ar 5.56 is my Daewoo DR-200.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    How about the Mini 14 from Ruger. Rugged, very reliable, old school cool, and pretty darn accurate, well accurate enough for 98% of the people who will shoot them. There are some down sides such as having to send it to Ruger to replace the firing pin or bolt, but the chances of having to do this in our lifetime is slim. Another down side is cost. Use to be comparable to AR's, but now AR's are half what minis cost give or take a few hundred bucks. There are other non AR players in the game, but for me I'll always have my Mini 14.

new_bayu_shooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 7, 2021
    New Orleans, LA
    How about the Mini 14 from Ruger. Rugged, very reliable, old school cool, and pretty darn accurate, well accurate enough for 98% of the people who will shoot them. There are some down sides such as having to send it to Ruger to replace the firing pin or bolt, but the chances of having to do this in our lifetime is slim. Another down side is cost. Use to be comparable to AR's, but now AR's are half what minis cost give or take a few hundred bucks. There are other non AR players in the game, but for me I'll always have my Mini 14.
    Id like to get a mini-14 but why are they so damn expensive? Especially with ARs being half the price and doing everything a mini does but better.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    Do you want it to take AR mags?

Two not mentioned that would also be are the Desert Tech and Springfield Hellion

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Galil ace, Israeli version of the ak. The ace is the modern version. Optics ready. Suppressable but needs the kns piston. I use the x39 version to hunt deer. A little on the heavy side but built like a tank.

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Yes the price of them has gone way up. I completely agree that AR’s are cheaper plus shoot better. I sold a 590 series mini 14 that was in mint condition for 450.00 a few years ago. Really wish I had not sold that rifle. I’ve been hunting deer with one of my minis this year and hopefully will have a chance to put it to use. So far no luck.

Big H

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 3, 2010
    Lake Charles, La. 70607
    Mini 14---although I've shot others mentioned I never considered much of
    anything else in that caliber---old school old timer I guess---to put things in
    perspective my go to deer rifle is the 03A3 in 30/06 that my dad built for me
    in 1967 when I got out of the Navy. MERRY CHRISTMAS to all---

Top Bottom