Non Ethanol gas to be scarce in Southeast La...this sucks for us boaters/fishermen

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    the shell station by the spillway in Norco has a pump labeled marine fuel, it's 89 octane ethanol free, at like 3.99 a gal though.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    They also have a gas station called Harry's One Stop in Montz, LA off of river road.

Right next to my dad's place I get fuel there for my lawn care stuff as well.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    I have one only about a quarter of a mile from my house but prefer to fill up down there..a lot less weight on the trailer when you have less fuel and travel over 2 hours to get down there..If I run around up here I fill up there. Its exactly .25 cents more than e10 and I don't mind paying. I think most anglers will gladly pay extra to be able to keep getting non ethanol fuel down there. If there are enough people asking for it I think the gas station owners will get with the distributors and THEY will have to be the ones speaking for us. Guys, talk to the folks at the gas stations and find out who to contact at the distributors. Supply and demand is the name of the game. the article didn't mention the old Murphy refinery, now Valero. I am curious to know if they make any non ethanol fuel.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    They also have a gas station called Harry's One Stop in Montz, LA off of river road.

Right next to my dad's place I get fuel there for my lawn care stuff as well.

That's all I run in my lawn mower and weed eater. I was told by the dealer I bought my Stihl weedeater from to run the highest-octane, ethanol-free gas that was available. The John Deere dealer instructed me to run ethanol-free gas if possible in my riding mower and to use fuel stabilizer if ethanol-free is not available.

There used to be two stations near my house that had ethanol-free gas. Now there's only one and their prices are quite a bit higher than other stations that don't have ethanol-free.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Where do you buy gas?

wherever. i've never understood people that rampage over gas fluctuating 30-50cents per gallon. i have no idea what I pay for gas and I honestly don't care. I'd guess 60 bucks to fill up every week?

if its 3.00 a gallon, i fill up.
    if its 4.00 a gallon, i fill up.

what am I going to do, walk?

There are other things worth worrying about imo. spending an extra fifteen bucks to fill up is the least of my problems

Hell the price of dairy has tripled in the last 3 years- no one cries about buying milk. :dunno:

I'd be just fine seeing it hit 10.00 a gallon. Then it'd be in our financial and political interest to invest in current technology (+getting us off the arabic tit), as opposed to continuing to fund the internal combustion engine which has been technologically obsolete for 50 years.

edit: before some keyboard gladiator swings his e-sword, I realize the internal combustion engine is the most practical and reasonable choice, but it is only so because of our reluctance to change combined with the financial and political weight of oil investors.

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    $10/gal will be unsustainable. Not because you won't be able to afford to drive to work, but that materials will be priced too high for you to buy groceries.

something for you to think about is: you may not care if ts $3 or $4/gal, but some people have less margin free than you do.

Me: I hate paying it, but I can. I know people carpooling to get to work and skipping meals though.
    Not everyone is that bad off, but it STILL impacts retirement saving, vacationing, quality of food, PRICE OF THINGS YOU BUY, etc

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I've yet to have a problem with 10-15% ethanol blends in my boat. I use blue StaBil for ethanol and run my carbs dry if I know it will be a month before I go back in the water.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    $10/gal will be unsustainable. Not because you won't be able to afford to drive to work, but that materials will be priced too high for you to buy groceries.

something for you to think about is: you may not care if ts $3 or $4/gal, but some people have less margin free than you do.

Me: I hate paying it, but I can. I know people carpooling to get to work and skipping meals though.
    Not everyone is that bad off, but it STILL impacts retirement saving, vacationing, quality of food, PRICE OF THINGS YOU BUY, etc

nah, it really doesn't. I'm aware that gas prices would affect our national economy tremendously (temporarily) but it'd force us to accept change and progress. as far as how much I have "free"- its just a matter of priorities. there are some things I have to have. fuel in my vehicle is at the top of the list.

I don't have to have: crawfish for dinner twice a week, a pack of smokes everyday, HBO and Starz, broadband internet, etc, etc.

and fwiw: many countries consider anything under ~2 miles "walking distance". Meanwhile, we live in a society that will circle the walmart parking lot 5 times looking for a space twenty feet closer to the door.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    The price of fuel rules the American economy. We are one of the most energy dependent economies in the world.Our economy is not like Europe. They have an effective rail transport system. The USA has a good passenger rail system serving the East Coast. But that's about it for passenger rail in the US.

And rail lines for some of the major ports. But from there...almost everything is moved by trucking. Every Walmart...grocery/food...etc gets moved by trucking.

We just need cheap fuel. Inflation in the US is almost directly related to the price of gas / diesel. Everything is moved by truck. It will take at least a decade IMO to adapt to a better system.

Thank God we have fracking right now. We'd be screwed without all that extra nat gas and oil. It's been a huge cushion.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    The price of fuel rules the American economy. We are one of the most energy dependent economies in the world.Our economy is not like Europe. They have an effective rail transport system. The USA has a good passenger rail system serving the East Coast. But that's about it for passenger rail in the US.

And rail lines for some of the major ports. But from there...almost everything is moved by trucking. Every Walmart...grocery/food...etc gets moved by trucking.

We just need cheap fuel. Inflation in the US is almost directly related to the price of gas / diesel. Everything is moved by truck. It will take at least a decade IMO to adapt to a better system.

Thank God we have fracking right now. We'd be screwed without all that extra nat gas and oil. It's been a huge cushion.

its not an easy change. thats why we don't do it.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    I haven't figured out how to make a sail work on my vehicles, so i'm okay with outdated technology. Besides, how the heck does one tack upwind on a two lane road?

Lets not get into the discussion of the miserable failures of the electric car dreamers.

Show me a functioning clone of a United Federation of Planets transporter and i'll gladly jump on board the alternative transportation band wagon.

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    its not an easy change. thats why we don't do it.

Agreed. It isn't easy at all. And if it were not for all the fracking oil / gas....we'd probably be paying a lot more for fuel today in the US. This country has a major problem in the next number of years. We need to become more efficient in so many areas. Probably also need to use more nuclear also. There is no single silver bullet.

blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    nah, it really doesn't. I'm aware that gas prices would affect our national economy tremendously (temporarily) but it'd force us to accept change and progress. as far as how much I have "free"- its just a matter of priorities. there are some things I have to have. fuel in my vehicle is at the top of the list.

I don't have to have: crawfish for dinner twice a week, a pack of smokes everyday, HBO and Starz, broadband internet, etc, etc.

and fwiw: many countries consider anything under ~2 miles "walking distance". Meanwhile, we live in a society that will circle the walmart parking lot 5 times looking for a space twenty feet closer to the door.

This is true, I am in Kongsberg Norway right now for business and tons of people ride bikes to work. And not just on beautiful days, today it is 38 wind chill at 34 and raining non stop, people walking and riding bikes to work, a couple miles each way.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Umm, how did this thread get away from the topic at hand?? Step away for a few hours and we are talking about making sacrifices to pay for fuel??? sheesh......If we are going to talk about the cost of Non ethanol and whether people are willing to pay more for it, then I would be part of that population. Up to how much extra would you pay in order to keep the nonE stuff available in SE La.?? We are not just talking boats here. Anyone with small engines will be affected by this. The only ones to benefit will be the small engine and outboard/marine mechanics. If we are willing to pay a good bit more for keeping it in production, then Chalmette Refining may decide to keep it. Valero is in a prime position to take up the slack it if wishes.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom