NOPD's Supt. Serpas Issues New Integrety Policy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    You don't have to ignore the little things to concentrate on the big ones . It's all part of the overall picture . There are basic rules that should be followed no matter what . Every department has them . Clean shaven , shirt tucked in , no smoking in public , whatever . This is just another one of those things that should project a positive image , no matter how bad other things might be .

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Serpas is not the right guy for this job. For starters he comes from the culture that helped break the NOPD lets not forget he was in a position of considerable authority during some very very dark days in NOLA. His time in Nashville did nothing to make that city safer and very few of the Rank and File were sad to see him go. In fact several of his nebulous, draconian, and hard to enforce disciplinary procedures have already been reversed. Making Cops wear silly hats doesn't make your city any safer. "Broken Windows" worked in NYC. But hiring 15K more cops, consolidating Transit and Housing Police under NYPD authority and PAY RAISES AND INCREASED HIRING STANDARDS played a huge role in the turn around. The Rank and File in NY also had a powerful union to keep the city honest.

Serpas is a crony of the Mayor's. The "Nationwide Search" was a farce. He will make a bunch of changes and he will fall in line with whatever the Mayor's office sends his way. In that way he is no different then Eddie Compass or any other recent Chief. NOPD needed and outsider who was willing to buck the establishment both in the department and in the City Political Establishment. They didn't get that. They got the same old stroke. Good luck with that.

Matchgrade

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Red Stick
    There's the good, the bad and then the really ugly.
    I'll take gambling over this.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYn-P72lp3M[/ame]

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I see you paid attention in CRJUS101.;)

Once more for the slow kids.

I am not saying IGNORE the broken windows, but let's make the bodies in the street a priority. In between 30's we can work on code enforcement.

I agree that integrity, which is the core of any other professionalism based trait, is paramount, but at this point with that department, there are a few larger fires that need to be quelled before we can start sending out people to handle smaller but still important things.

If my house gets robbed and then there is a big new story about 10 NOPD getting time off because they wore the wrong color shirt or showed up 10 minutes late for work, I consider that a waste of resources. yes those issues need addressing, but at the level of degradation that department is in, there are a few more pressing issues.

FBI? probably not or you would not be on here.
    Hmmm.... ICE?

Remember back to those 20 years when you used to say, "Damn, they ain't got better things to worry about?" every time rank was micromanaging you?

In closing, the problem is deeper than some errant "poor judgement" behavior. You have to go to the core, and that is the applicant pool. Any organization is like a spreedsheet....garbage in, garbage out.

Unfortunately, law enforcement will never get the funding it needs to get the best and the brightest. there will be a few, but not enough to carry all the weight for those who get hired with GED, "minor" records, and questionable backgrounds.

Since you are so honorable, in reference to your other thread, maybe you should come back with us lowly locals and change your screen name to "localtofedtolocal".

hell, with your experience and apparent education, you could probably make a run for a chief or Sheriff position.

Seriously. I am not being facetious.

If you change the culture of the department that has built up over time these type of incidents will go away.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    If you change the culture of the department that has built up over time these type of incidents will go away.

No ****, but changing culture takes time. Once again, I did not say it was not important. Please actually read what I posted about integrity in my earlier post.

i am saying, with the RAMPANT AND NATIONALLY DOMINATING MURDER rate, that needs to be culled first. Once we have that under control, then we need to focus harder on the more internal administrative and behavior stuff. Unless you have worked in a department, you do not see the other side of this "lying" coin. People read that and think it is just about police reports and trumped up charges. The administration can use it for whatever it wants, and justified or not, because people want cops to be honest, the administration is viewed in the right most of them time. granted, we have some bad cops that need to go, but with one of the highest murder rates and violent crime rates in the country, now is not the time to be using administrative rules to give cops time off or get fired for being late, wrong uniform, taking too long at lunch, doing something legal on their time off.

Once more, because I know someone will act like it is not typed here.

i agree that at the end of the day, the moral of an organization and the ethical expectations and degree to which those expectations are enforced by leadership is what defines said organization.

however, in the case of NOPD, it has fallen into a pile of ****. It makes more sense to focus on wiping the **** off, before you start spraying on cologne, because while smelling good is important, you are missing the forest for the trees to do otherwise.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Well , since you are not the only person on this board with LE experience , I will consider the above post to be opinion and leave it at that . :)

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Serpas' honesty policy will be used by every "boss" at every level of the department to settle scores and personal conflicts. In every Police Report are subjective things. This tool makes Serpas look good to the know nothings and Mayor's office and does nothing to fix the issue at hand; The Institutional Culture of Corruption. Actually the soaring Drug Related Crime rate in the City is a difficult thing. Instead of trying to wrap his arms around that issue the man is gonna hand over a bunch of "Dirty Cops" that may not really be dirty at all to appease the crowds in the coliseum. I really think Old School Law Enforcement in this country is dead. Catching crooks and fighting crime is out of vogue.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Serpas' honesty policy will be used by every "boss" at every level of the department to settle scores and personal conflicts. In every Police Report are subjective things. This tool makes Serpas look good to the know nothings and Mayor's office and does nothing to fix the issue at hand; The Institutional Culture of Corruption. Actually the soaring Drug Related Crime rate in the City is a difficult thing. Instead of trying to wrap his arms around that issue the man is gonna hand over a bunch of "Dirty Cops" that may not really be dirty at all to appease the crowds in the coliseum. I really think Old School Law Enforcement in this country is dead. Catching crooks and fighting crime is out of vogue.

This

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    So what protection do the good cops have ? Civil Service Board , Union ?

Both. NOPD is civil service and they have the police union. However, while they are playing those defensive games, the wrongly accussed, who are the good ones, are off the street where they could be making a difference.

I think the policy will most definitely snag some of the worst offenders in the department, it is just that experience has taught me these policies have a lot of collateral damage in order to give the perception of doing something That collateral damage is to the careers of good officers and the citizens they were making a difference for.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    While I don't work for NOPD and I am not a member of the Union my understanding is that it is a joke. Civil Service is what it is but I wouldn't wanna have my career dependent of a Civil Service Board's decision. Outside of Major Cities in the North East most Police Unions in this Country are fairly feckless, unfortunately.

Top Bottom