NRA Strongly Opposes Obama Nomination to Head BATFE

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    Calls On President Obama To Withdraw Nomination

Statement From NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox
    The NRA strongly opposes President Obama’s nomination of Andrew Traver as director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE). Traver has been deeply aligned with gun control advocates and anti-gun activities. This makes him the wrong choice to lead an enforcement agency that has almost exclusive oversight and control over the firearms industry, its retailers and consumers. Further, an important nomination such as BATFE director should not be made as a “recess appointment,” in order to circumvent consent by the American people through their duly elected U.S. Senators.
    Traver served as an advisor to the International Association for Chiefs of Police’s (IACP) “Gun Violence Reduction Project,” a “partnership” with the Joyce Foundation. Both IACP and the Joyce Foundation are names synonymous with promoting a variety of gun control schemes at the federal and state levels. Most of the individuals involved in this project were prominent gun control activists and lobbyists.
    The IACP report, generated with Traver’s help, called on Congress to ban thousands of commonly owned firearms by misrepresenting them as “assault weapons,” as well as calling for bans on .50 caliber rifles and widely used types of ammunition. The report also suggests that Congress should regulate gun shows out of existence and should repeal the privacy protections of the Tiahrt Amendment—all efforts strongly opposed by the NRA and its members.
    Traver also participated in an extremely deceptive NBC Chicago report (http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local-beat/Assault-Weapons-Surge-in-City-69620227.html) in which he referred to “the growing frequency of gang members and drug dealers using heavy caliber military-type weapons” and described them as if they were machine guns: “Pull the trigger and you can mow people down.” Traver and his agents provided the reporter with a fully automatic AK-47, with which she was unable to hit the target. He then said that stray bullets are “one of the main problems with having stuff like this available to the gangs.”
    As the Agent-in-Charge of Chicago’s BATFE office, Traver knows that fully automatic firearms are not available through normal retail channels—the opposite of what was implied in the report.
    An agency involved in the regulation of a fundamental, individual right guaranteed under the U.S. Constitution should not be led by an individual with a demonstrated hostility to that freedom. For that reason, the NRA strongly opposes Andrew Traver to head the BATFE and urges President Obama to withdraw this ill-advised nomination.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=6084

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    He is going to bypass congress by executive orders and appointments. Call me crazy people, I don't care, but just please watch and observe all of the appointments he has already made. He is trying to hide these people's pasts and true beliefs.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Obama- The most dishonest, deceitful, flim-flaming, flip-flopping, back-stabbing president in American history.

While I agree to a certain degree, I don't think this type of appointment is anything new, for any president. I'm no expert on the subject, but I can almost guarantee you find this throughout history.

The REAL question is... why does he have the power to make these appointments? SCOTUS is probably the scariest place he has so much control; BATFE is pretty insane as well.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Obama- The most dishonest, deceitful, flim-flaming, flip-flopping, back-stabbing president in American history.

Also race baiting, divisive, economy destroying, America hating, enemy of business, enemy of the constitution, enemy of all free men, enslaver of weak minds/lazy people, and biggest mistake voters have ever made.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Whew.....that's the POS POTUS I know too ;)

Bush ( shrub ) was a weasel, like a lot of them but this is the first that I know of who can dam near be documented saying he hates America. Most of them just didn't care one way or another...I think Kennedy may have been a patriot. Jury out on that

We are fighting two Agendas, one is the Communist Agenda of the 50's and the other is Obama's attack at a country which his ideals directly oppose. ( USofA )

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Elections matter.

Hope that the entire country learns at least that much by this mook.

Don't know why this suprises anyone though. Watch out for LOTS of pronouncements from ATF from his appointment onward, interpretations of current regs to the detriment of the law abiding, and general "up yours" to the public he is supposed to serve.

Frankly, that puts him in line with ALL of this guys appointments.

And...with regard to "recess appointments", I do have to say that Obama is not the first to do this, Bush also used this process (as have many others of late) to nominate John Bolton as Amb to UN. But I don't think as many have been done as this guy. Could be wrong on that but don't think I am.

brackishgunner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Recess appts have historically been made only if a president's nominee can't get a vote/hearing in congress. Holding up nominees is a favorite tactic of both parties when the opposition controls the White House.

The difference with the head of Medicare, is that it was the Democrats that refused to have the required vote/hearing for their own nominee. THe Republicans were chomping at the bit to confront man and bear his history to the country.

The ATF head, OTOH, I don't even know if he had been nominated/appointed prior to the current recess. If so, then this is a second example of the Dems in congress running interference and O abusing the authority to make recess appts in an effort to prevent public scrutiny of his appointments.

However, if he was only appointed after congress adjourned, then this is an even more bald face abuse. Is an ATF head needed so direly that he couldn't be vetted publicly over the next few wks before taking his position?

Last edited:

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Is this the same nra that gave Harry $5k?

$5k? lol you think that's all?

Please.

F*ck the NRA.

They're probably sucking off every gun hating democrat, under the table, in hopes they can "keep the fear" alive and screw millions of Americans into buying NRA Life Insurance, NRA Home Insurance, NRA watches, NRA knives, NRA Gold Coins, NRA lifetime memberships, blah blah blah.

The NRA is just another fear mongering corporation feeding off fear... and guess what. Those people want you to remain in fear, not SOLVE the problems.

I can't wait until 3 years from now when the remainder of my membership expires... *spits*

Top Bottom