Obama speech

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Today , I heard an audio clip of Obama saying that if everybody would inflate their tires correctly and get regular tune - ups , we would save as much oil as we would get by drilling . Right now , I have so many replies to that , I don't know where to start ...

I thought the energy crisis was a complicated issue . This man is a freaking genius . :D

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    It couldn't hurt.

It can't ? How about paying for a tune up on a car that doesn't need one ? When was the last time you got a tune up ? Platinum spark plugs that last in excess of 100 ,000 miles , a computer that manages every aspect of your engine and transmission performance , yeah , this dude is SHARP .

I'm waiting to see his research data on that one . :rolleyes:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I don't get tune ups or check the air pressure in my tires as my time is worth more than the little bit of money I would save on gas. On my wifes car we keep up with it to keep the warranty valid. Yeah I know with computers now a day it will tell you when your vehivle needs it's oil change depending on how you drive etc...

I didn't say it was a smart idea; but it wouldn't hurt to have every vehicle in the world running as efficient as possible.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    When he can show me VALID research to back up his statement , then I'll buy into it .
    I'm pretty sure he pulled that out of his ass .

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Today , I heard an audio clip of Obama saying that if everybody would inflate their tires correctly and get regular tune - ups , we would save as much oil as we would get by drilling . Right now , I have so many replies to that , I don't know where to start ...

I thought the energy crisis was a complicated issue . This man is a freaking genius . :D

We WOULD save millions of barrels of oil if we ALL would do proper tune ups and have our tires filled to the proper pressure. There isn't even an argument on that one.

If you think that's bad, listen to these:

"We should be able to deliver bottled hot water to dehydrated babies." --Kenner, Louisiana, June 3, 2008

"We have a lot of work to do. It's a very hard struggle, particularly given the situation on the Iraq-Pakistan border." --referring to a border that does not exist, ABC News interview, July 21, 2008

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Did I say we wouldn't save gas ? You know I didn't .

Do I believe that it would save as much oil as we could get by drilling ? Not even close . Statements like he made need to be questioned . They sound real good when you are stumping and you don't have to defend them .

I would love to hear him define " regular tune-ups " . Or anybody else for that matter .

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Who cares how much oil we save? The less oil we use, the more OPEC raises the price. That's free market in action. It does nothing to cure our dependance on foreign oil.

Obama's a ******** who, like his democrat cohorts, live in an idealistic instead of realistic world. Americans are the ones who suffer the consequences.

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    McCain gave these out today.

mccaintiregauge.jpg

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Did I say we wouldn't save gas ? You know I didn't.

You were vague in your first post. All there was was complaining. I'm glad I could ferret that out of you.

Do I believe that it would save as much oil as we could get by drilling ? Not even close .

And what research have you done to counter this argument? All I see is a guy 'stumping' for his candidate, posting arguments and then not backing up his defense of his statement with research.

Statements like he made need to be questioned . They sound real good when you are stumping and you don't have to defend them .

All you have to do is research. Instead, all you do is argue "well, he hasn't proved that to me". Conversely, you haven't proved him incorrect so I say the same thing about you.

I would love to hear him define " regular tune-ups " . Or anybody else for that matter .

Look at your manufacturers recommended schedule. See, that wasn't that hard. Do you need any help with anything else?

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    It can't ? How about paying for a tune up on a car that doesn't need one ? When was the last time you got a tune up ? Platinum spark plugs that last in excess of 100 ,000 miles , a computer that manages every aspect of your engine and transmission performance , yeah , this dude is SHARP .

I'm waiting to see his research data on that one . :rolleyes:

Really, cars no longer need 'tune-ups'? That's a new one on me. I'm glad you're an expert in EVERY field you post on. It doesn't matter what the argument is. You fail to post anything to back up your discussion other than what you feel is right... I'm glad that you never get tune ups in your car. I guess all you do is put gas in it and that's it :rolleyes: Now, I'll agree that cars don't need 'tune-ups' as they did in the past; but regular preventive maintenance is key to any mechanical part. If you don't think cars need any kind of maintenance, you've never owned a car.

Also, don't you think it to be a bit disengenuous to fail to include the rest of his plans (that is in the speech that this was in) for the energy policy while alluding that this is what his energy policy is based around? You don't see me ripping apart McCain's speeches and then making a thread about how his entire policy sucks. I posted the previous quote to you to show that any candidate can have moments in time that may sound odd. But when taken with the context of the speech it was in, it's right. All candidates make flubs. All candidates exceed what they know they can do. All candidates push what they know won't pass. It's the nature of the beast. However, I think you can't see the forest through the trees when it comes to an oppenets speeches. And yes, I will take the high road. I don't think everything Obama does is right and I think some of his policies aren't good. It's just funny that the only ones really pushing disparaging comments about another candidate, and the only ones that try to nitpick each word and then come up with a theory of what that word can mean, and the only ones that try to take apart policy based upon one sentance, while leaving out the thousnds of sentances that go in front of and behind the one they chose - are GOP supporters (in this forum). I'm just making an observation.

Last edited:

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    The subject of this thread was a statement that Obama made , not the whole ******* speech . So that point is moot . I never said cars didn't need regular maintenance . You'r twisting that as well . I said that inflating tires and uneeded tuneups will not solve the oil situation . I stand by that .

" We WOULD save millions of barrels of oil if we ALL would do proper tune ups and have our tires filled to the proper pressure. There isn't even an argument on that one. " That's YOUR statement .

" And what research have you done to counter this argument? All I see is a guy 'stumping' for his candidate, posting arguments and then not backing up his defense of his statement with research. " Your words again .

Sounds like we're both guilty . :D

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    What's interesting is that Obama made a stupid sounding statement and not one of the network news stations covered it. EVERYTHING else Obama says is dutifully recorded, analyzed, and reinforced on the major networks.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    What's interesting is that Obama made a stupid sounding statement and not one of the network news stations covered it. EVERYTHING else Obama says is dutifully recorded, analyzed, and reinforced on the major networks.
    He made a statement concerning one of the biggest hot button topics in the news , and he doesn't have to back it up with facts . Why ?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom