Odd "jam"...any ideas?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I think a lot of the issue with my coworkers rifle was ammo related. He was running 62gr silver bear. kept getting light primer strikes too. I ran some brown bear 55gr through it and not one issue.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Small piece of dirt? Broken off carbon build up that slowed the bolt/BCG enough to not fully go into battery? A super strong extractor spring would do this over and over, not just once. As Dixie said, could be bolt rings. Is the gas tube straight? I've seen bent gas tubes that put friction on the BCG as it went into battery. Is it possible to limp wrist a carbine?
    Gas tube is fine. Everything is on ball-bearings when I dry-cycle it. I don't really think you can limp-wrist a suppressed SBR. Even shooting in extremely awkward positions at the last VTAC course I took, I never had issue with it with a 16" unsuppressed middy.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    IIRC noveske didn't want to work on his noveske lower / Daniel defense upper hybrid?

-4+ MOA POI shift with one Noveske
    -7-8 MOA POI shift with the other.
    -One upper did not allow the mag to insert as far as any other rifle I have, and the bolt catches the very top of the round with the bottom of the teeth. It's led to multiple jams.
    -The other upper is 0.003" out of spec and I cannot even drop many uppers onto it, much less get them near the pins to hammer them through. Noveske offered to take more of my money and build me another upper to fit it.

Yes. After all this has occurred. Screw them.

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Poi shifts when attaching and removing the sure fire, or just randomly while shooting? If with the can, is the shift consistent? I have no suggestions, just curious.

-4+ MOA POI shift with one Novesk
    -7-8 MOA POI shift with the other.
    -One upper did not allow the mag to insert as far as any other rifle I have, and the bolt catches the very top of the round with the bottom of the teeth. It's led to multiple jams.
    -The other upper is 0.003" out of spec and I cannot even drop many uppers onto it, much less get them near the pins to hammer them through. Noveske offered to take more of my money and build me another upper to fit it.

Yes. After all this has occurred. Screw them.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Equipment:

-Noveske 10.5" chrome-lined upper
    -Surefire 556-212 suppressor
    -H2 buffer
    -Mil-spec USGI spring
    -Mil-spec BCG + Colt "Gold" extractor spring, no O-ring
    -Lancer L5 AWM magazine
    -PMC XTAC M193, 5.56 Optimized 70gr, MK318 (I did not see which did "jammed")

Situation:

Semi-auto (rapid) fire with a clean weapon well-lubed with Froglube CLP, ambient temperatures 87*F and humid but without rain.

Malfunction:

-Bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-bang-deadtrigger.
    -Inspection (visual) immediately revealed carrier out of battery by roughly 1/4".
    -Magazine released (was locked in).
    -BCG retracted easily using CH and locked to the rear.
    -Back of loaded round visible in chamber, almost completely (lacking 1/4" or so) seated in chamber. Primer un-dimpled.
    -BCG allowed to close, easily fully chambering the round. Trigger pulled. Round fired and ejected. Magazine re-inserted, and new round chambered. No further failures to eject, feed,extract, or lock back on empty.

Question:

-How the hell did the round strip from the magazine, fail to chamber by only 1/4", and not have the extractor snap over the rim, and yet easily chamber and fire afterward (not an out-of-spec anything) with a clean weapon that was very well lubed using nearly all-new USGI spec springs and an H2 buffer?

You should ask this on m4c.net.

They love Noveske over there. They may be able to help you out also.

JR1572

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Brand has nothing to do with it. Everyone puts out a bad product sooner or later. "But mine works fine" is not a solution to a problem.

For real though, weird **** happens. It happened once. It's what they call a fluke. Forget about it and move on with your life.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Brand has nothing to do with it. Everyone puts out a bad product sooner or later. "But mine works fine" is not a solution to a problem.

For real though, weird **** happens. It happened once. It's what they call a fluke. Forget about it and move on with your life.

Best solution yet. Quit over thinking these things. If it happens every other round, then you've got a serious issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Good2go504
    Top Bottom