Off Range Shooting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cenlabob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2024
    Central Louisiana
    What are the laws regarding shooting off range? When I was younger we always went to the woods and would shoot where no one else would be bothered. Are there any laws prohibiting that, or rules that need to be followed to be in compliance with the law?

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    I guess the days of going down to the City Dump and shooting rats is long over ...
    To stay perfectly legal now ... I either shoot on my Daughters farmland , 300 acres in Minden or at the indoor shooting range in Baton Rouge .
    Don't trespass on other people's property and don't shoot close to roads or houses ... a rule of thumb used to be 300 yards minimum ... and have a good backstop to shoot into and stop your bullets ...
    Best advice is use Good Common Sense and don't take any chances ...when in doubt ... Don't Shoot !
    Gary

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Essentially private property, private and public ranges. Woodworth shooting range shouldn’t be too far from you. And still on private property you still have to follow firearm safety laws such as being 150 yards (IIRC) from a dwelling of public roadway.

You cant just pull over on side of the road in Kisatchie or other unknown wooded areas and start shooting cans or whatnot.

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I own 55 acres in Northern East Baton Rouge parish and this is what we have. Really no one goes by it unless there's a problem.

• Sec. 13:93. - Discharge of firearms.​

Share Link to sectionPrint sectionDownload (Docx) of sectionsEmail sectionCompare versions
      (a)
      Shooting of firearms within the city. It shall be unlawful to shoot or discharge a gun, pistol, revolver, rifle or other firearm within the city except in a regularly established rifle or pistol range built and operated under the proper safety precautions. The prohibition of this section shall not apply to members of the federal, state or municipal government authorized to carry such firearms, when acting within the scope of their authority.
      (b)
      Discharge of firearms in the parish; definitions; exceptions.
      (1)
      The discharge of any type pistol or rifle for any purpose by any person within one-half mile of any street, road or house in the parish is hereby prohibited.
      (2)
      The discharge of other types of firearms, including shotguns of any description which may be used for the explosion of cartridges or air gun, BB gun, gas-operated gun or spring gun, for any purpose by any person within five hundred (500) feet of any street, road or house in the parish is hereby prohibited.
      (3)
      The provisions of this subsection shall not be construed so as to prohibit any person from discharging a firearm in the defense of his person, family or property.
      (Ord. No. 7421, § 1, 1-25-84)

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    If in Rapides and Grant parishes you are probably talking about Kisatchie National Forest. BLUF: Can't legally do it.

"19) Can I target-shoot on KNF?
    Generally, NO, because a person cannot discharge a firearm or any other implement capable of taking human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows: 1) in or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed recreation site or occupied area, or 2) across or on a National Forest road or body of water or in any manner or place whereby any person is exposed to injury or any property (such as trees, embankments, etc) is damaged or littered, or 3) into or within any cave. (36 CFR 261.10(d)) Shooting ranges are available at Woodworth (318-484-2212), Ft Polk (337-531-6591), Natchitoches (318-356-9457), Arcadia (318-255-7081), and Ruston (318-397-8949). See www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp for details."

If on private land, then you'd need the written permission of the landowner.
    If in a State Forest, I don't know. But I'd suspect some rules similar to KNF.

There is a new Grant Parish Police Jury range in the final stages of completion. 50 yard pistol range and 100 yard rifle range. Be on the lookout for information on opening.

sgt z

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hammond, LA
    I never went to the Buffer Zone but I wish I would have just to experience it. In the 90's, living in the Mojave Desert, I would just go to No Where and start shooting, usually a place known for plinking.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I miss the days of going out to the spillway and finding a safe spot away from everyone and just target shoot all day.
    I grew up in Norco and the spillway was the getaway for all things. No law at all
    I never went to the Buffer Zone but I wish I would have just to experience it. In the 90's, living in the Mojave Desert, I would just go to No Where and start shooting, usually a place known for plinking.
    While stationed at 29Palms, we did the same. Had a place where about a dozen old scrap cars, I'm talking about '30 and '40's models where shot to ****. Looked like Bonnie and Clydes cars

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I wasn't a gun owner during the days of the Buffer Zone access. Years ago I came across some threads here with some pictures of the "range". Seemed like a nice area that was ruined by a few idiots. Last I heard, the county had placed signs up in the area and the police patrol to keep anyone from target shooting.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    Ditto here, I lived in Laplace for 35 years. Fish, ski, boat ride, target shoot, ride dirt bikes. But it had to end, too many people from the city, and some quite reckless shooting firearms.
    I'm knocking on 70yrs... remember the "hill", middle ponds, Boat Club , the "rope" in the upper suction. Good times thru out the 60's early 70's

cenlabob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2024
    Central Louisiana
    If in Rapides and Grant parishes you are probably talking about Kisatchie National Forest. BLUF: Can't legally do it.

Yeah, Kisatchie. I guess the language about damaging property or trees is the deal killer. I can think of plenty of places that satisfy the other requirements. Thanks for the info.

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    Ditto here, I lived in Laplace for 35 years. Fish, ski, boat ride, target shoot, ride dirt bikes. But it had to end, too many people from the city, and some quite reckless shooting firearms.

I also miss the free camping out there. You used to be able to just go find a nice spot and pitch a tent. Then sometime in the early 2000's you had to get a free permit from the St. Charles Parish recreation department, during business hours Monday through Friday, and they limited you to the area near the boat launch just off Airline. So you couldn't just decide on Saturday morning that you wanted to go out there and spend the night.

Now, they charge you $10/day (not bad for primitive camping) and they have a website set up where you can reserve a site. But the website needs some serious work. It doesn't state how you can pay for the site and it doesn't tell you if a site is available or not on the day you want it. Guess you have to go back and forth with emails or phone calls. https://www.scpparksandrec.com/parks-facilities/camp-permits/spillway-rental

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    @falshooter @nolaradio Had some great Sundays out there too. Used to go to the dirt oval race track just west of the spillway, some really fun and entertaining racing. The large oval cut into the earth, and some spots filled with water. Cars, trucks, 4 WDs, and 3 wheelers. On some Sundays guys would hit the mudholes in the spillway just north of Airline Hwy. Some of the sights and things you would see out there. The best free entertainment in the area imo. Sadly the dirt track like the dragstrip went away. And the snake farm. Frostop still there tho, like 66 years. Katrina didn't do any favors for Laplace, flushed the cockaroaches there.

Top Bottom