Ohio Gun Shop Owner Fatally Shot During Concealed Carry Class

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Terrible.

The owner of a Monroe Township gun shop was fatally shot Saturday afternoon when a student in a concealed carry permit class accidentally discharged a weapon, the Clermont County Sheriff's Office said.

James Baker, 64, was shot in the neck and pronounced dead just before 1 p.m. at his KayJay Gun Shop at 3023 Lindale-Mt. Holly Road, the sheriff's office said in a news release. He was struck by a bullet that was fired by a class participant while practicing weapon malfunction drills.

The sheriff's office reported about 10 people were taking the class in a room adjacent to where Baker was sitting.

The student who discharged the handgun has not been identified.

In the hours following the fatal incident, nearly a dozen people gathered in gravel lot in front of the business sharing hugs and tears.

Anita Fritz said she'd known Baker since 1999. She was holding a yard sale in the front yard of her father's home across the street of the gun shop when police and an ambulance arrived.

Fritz described Baker as the best neighbor you could ever have.

"He was a friend to everybody," she said. "If it snowed, he'd get everybody's driveway."

When Fritz's father recently passed away, she said Baker offered to do anything she needed. She said the same ambulance that had come for her father returned to try to save Baker.

She recalled that Baker worked in law enforcement in the 1970s and was a friend to local police and deputies.

"Cops were always coming in and out, and he told me, 'Don't worry, I'm not in trouble,'" she said. "They came and looked at his guns, get their guns fixed and cleaned and get their ammo."

KayJay Gun Shop could not be reached for comment.

An American flag flew outside the brown pole building occupied by the business. A white sign attached to a fence advertised the business to those traveling the two-lane road in rural Clermont County less than two miles southwest of East Fork State Park.

KayJay Gun Shop's website advertises concealed carry permit classes along with tactical rifle and defensive pistol classes. During this summer, concealed carry permit classes were scheduled to take place once a month.

The business holds a Type 07 and Type 06 federal firearms license allowing it to manufacture both firearms and ammunition. It also holds a Class 72 Special Occupation Taxpayer license, which is needed to manufacture firearms regulated by the National Firearms Act of 1934 that placed tighter restrictions on fully-automatic weapons and other categories of firearms.

The Clermont County Sheriff's Office is continuing to investigate the shooting.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/06/18/police-1-dead-accidental-clermont-co-gun-shop-shooting/86085726/

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Sad indeed. I saw that earlier. The article I saw said they were practicing malfunction drills.
    When I took my CHP class the instructor didn't even allow ammo in the classroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sad indeed. I saw that earlier. The article I saw said they were practicing malfunction drills.
    When I took my CHP class the instructor didn't even allow ammo in the classroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There should never be ammo in the classroom. It's bad enough that 90% of the folks in the classroom don't even know how to load their gun.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    No Ammunition and No Firearms in the Class. Empty Pistols and separated ammunition components used by Instructor which are verified by students before the class begins.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Its sad to hear things like this. I know a lot of people laugh at the use of snap caps, but I used them to teach my wife basic maniputation techniques. And havent in a while but use them to practice clearing malfunctions while sitting on couch. Live ammo in a classroom enviroment or in my case in the living does seem a little risky. I was always tought three steps
    1.tap (seat mag)
    2.rack (clear chamber and reset trigger)
    3.bang (fire weapon and if no joy repeat)
    I just don't see how you can practice that with live ammo in that kind of enviroment.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Its sad to hear things like this. I know a lot of people laugh at the use of snap caps, but I used them to teach my wife basic maniputation techniques. And havent in a while but use them to practice clearing malfunctions while sitting on couch. Live ammo in a classroom enviroment or in my case in the living does seem a little risky. I was always tought three steps
    1.tap (seat mag)
    2.rack (clear chamber and reset trigger)
    3.bang (fire weapon and if no joy repeat)
    I just don't see how you can practice that with live ammo in that kind of enviroment.

Tap/Rack/Bang has changed in recent years to Tap/Rack/Assess. Snap Caps should be verified by students before used in class.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________

With a dedicated training.

I don't know anyone moronic enough to use real equipment in a classroom setting.

Blue Guns and Glock's training guns were designed for a reason.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    No Ammunition and No Firearms in the Class. Empty Pistols and separated ammunition components used by Instructor which are verified by students before the class begins.

^Exactly what my instructor did. And anytime he handles a pistol, he verified it and he had a student verify it again. If he laid it down and picked it back up, it was verified again. If it was handed to another person, it was verified again.

Safety first. Always.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    ^Exactly what my instructor did. And anytime he handles a pistol, he verified it and he had a student verify it again. If he laid it down and picked it back up, it was verified again. If it was handed to another person, it was verified again.

Safety first. Always.

Or just use training aids.

I'm all for safe practices, but the classroom is no place for real firearms.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Or just use training aids.

I'm all for safe practices, but the classroom is no place for real firearms.

That depends on what you are doing.
    Part of the required CHP training is learning all the part of revolvers and pistols. That can be hard to do with a training aid.

But I agree, training aid should be use when possible.

I actually found some cheap rubber(?) traing pistols and bought one for some training and plan to get a few to give to the instructor that taught my CHP class.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    That depends on what you are doing.
    Part of the required CHP training is learning all the part of revolvers and pistols. That can be hard to do with a training aid.

But I agree, training aid should be use when possible.

I actually found some cheap rubber(?) traing pistols and bought one for some training and plan to get a few to give to the instructor that taught my CHP class.

Blue Guns are dummies. They don't do anything and they are cheap.

There are Revolvers and Pistols that do have moving parts, but do not fire anything. Glock's Red Gun for example.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Very sad. They should have a "No Ammo" sign on the classroom door. I'm not a fan of going through the re-certification class. It still seems to be be full of second time shooters. Public ranges are a scary place too. Especially in the last few years when everyone is buying weapons and not seeking proper training to use them. Owners manuals and YouTube isn't enough. Get a decent weapon and great training. There are many qualified instructors around here that can help.

Top Bottom