Oilfield Classic vs Texas State Open

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JayDubU

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    Anyone shot these before and have a preference? Thanks.

I haven't shot either these before...but I have heard good things about both...saying that...I'm shooting the oilfield classic this year for the first time...mainly because my shooting buddies are shooting the oilfield classic...and of course scheduling.

ENVPMBR Shooter

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La
    Well the Texas Open is a great 12 stage two day match. Last year there was this GM knucklehead that held a class on Freiday and his class was a squad for the next two days. We got stuck behing him and lets just say that there were words exchanged. Match management was a little poor but hey it worked out. The stages were OK to somewhat good.

Now for the Oilfield, this is its first year. Stages look good and tuff. This is a 10 stage one day match. We will see what happens.

latech15

Master class Hero
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Pineville
    The range that the texas open is held at really sucks. You would be better off with an ATV trying to drive down that road than a car/truck. I just shot there again a few weekends ago and the amount of trash piled up all over the place astounded me. I won't go back there.

moonshoxx

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    ditto on the Texas Open range. I thought i was going to have to pack my vette out in a cardboard box. I hear the oilfield classic range puts it to shame.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Pretty much what everyone else said. I shot Texas open last year and was not impressed. Range sucked. Stages were great designs but many of them were not executed nearly as good. Almost all of them and the overall match was poorly managed in my opinion. I've never seen so many bad RO calls in my life. The class squad did make things worse but that was far from the only problem there. Looking forward to the Oilfield Classic.

jwglock

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Ponchatoula, LA
    This was a great match. Would have like to have shot a little better but had a blast anyway. Our squad had a lot of fun. Glad to see so many local shooters there also. Hope everyone made it back ok. We made it home a little after 2am.

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    Man, that drive home was rough.

Ended up 28th Production, which, while not great, is my best showing at a major so far. I'll take slow steady improvement.

Now to figure out why I'm short stroking the trigger... much to the enjoyment of some of my squad (see stage 6).

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    I've been to three Texas Opens and one (inaugural) Oilfield classic and I will never again miss the Oilfield Classic but did not go to the Texas Open this year and probably won't unless they move it away from the impact zone range. The range layout isn't horrible but their bays are covered in a thick layer of gravel which makes staking props down very difficult and with that wind out there, it makes things just nightmarish.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    This was a great match. Would have like to have shot a little better but had a blast anyway. Our squad had a lot of fun. Glad to see so many local shooters there also. Hope everyone made it back ok. We made it home a little after 2am.

Man, that drive home was rough.

Ended up 28th Production, which, while not great, is my best showing at a major so far. I'll take slow steady improvement.

Now to figure out why I'm short stroking the trigger... much to the enjoyment of some of my squad (see stage 6).

Good job guys. We left the range a few minutes after 7 and got home at a few minutes after 1 including 3 stops for washing up then food then fuel.

And LOL @ seeing mahamoti at the truck stop with the same idea I had (washing up in the sink before the drive)

mahamoti

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Walker, LA
    And LOL @ seeing mahamoti at the truck stop with the same idea I had (washing up in the sink before the drive)

Oh man, I was so beat after the day and that drive, I had completely forgotten about that! I can only imagine how beat you were after shooting that match, then ROing for two days.

bayougump

I'm not a smart man
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    I've been to three Texas Opens and one (inaugural) Oilfield classic and I will never again miss the Oilfield Classic but did not go to the Texas Open this year and probably won't unless they move it away from the impact zone range. The range layout isn't horrible but their bays are covered in a thick layer of gravel which makes staking props down very difficult and with that wind out there, it makes things just nightmarish.

I agree Spanky, I will put Oilfield on my Majors list going forward. The stages were good and the food was great too:-) Only thing I wish would been better was my shooting, lol

Sent from my flux capacitor

Top Bottom