Ok I need to know this!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LSUFoolsball69

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Slidell
    I got a Gun for Christmas and I bought a Gun from a friend of mine. Do I need to go to FFL dealer and do some kind of paperwork to get it out of there names? I knwo you dont register it but there names are on the guns and i would like to take that off just in case something happend.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    You don't have to. If you are paranoid, a bill of sale should be all you need.

I've only done paperwork once on an in state transfer and that was at the sellers request and I wasn't opposed so no biggie.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    NO sir, the way I usually handle all my personal sales and buys are with a bill of sale, I actually have an online version that I can easily mail you. This way if at any point in the future that gun gets stolen from you and its involved in a crime, the first person they gonna knock at the door of no fingerprints are found is the original owner, if he has a bill of sale that says that on 1-4-2010 he sold it to MIKE D who identified himself with the LADL # 123456 for the amount of .02 cents, at least it gets them of their back and puts them looking for Mike D. If you wanted to you can change registry, you can do it at your local SO or LSP but it would be a register gun to ur name, some people are funny about it and they rather do private sales or buys so there is no paper on file with their name on it to go after. Let me know if you want it.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Foos: You don't have to take any action. The seller should have asked you to sign a bill of sale. If you sell a firearm in a private transaction in the future, ask to buyer to sign bill of sale.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I got a Gun for Christmas and I bought a Gun from a friend of mine. Do I need to go to FFL dealer and do some kind of paperwork to get it out of there names? I knwo you dont register it but there names are on the guns and i would like to take that off just in case something happend.

A bit of the WECSOG action, I take it?

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    If you wanted to you can change registry, you can do it at your local SO or LSP but it would be a register gun to ur name, some people are funny about it and they rather do private sales or buys so there is no paper on file with their name on it to go after. Let me know if you want it.

This is news to me. AFAIK there is NO registry AT ALL in Louisiana. Therefore, there is nothing to change at a Sheriff's Office or The State Police.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    If you wanted to you can change registry, you can do it at your local SO or LSP but it would be a register gun to ur name, some people are funny about it and they rather do private sales or buys so there is no paper on file with their name on it to go after. Let me know if you want it.

Ummm, in Louisiana you DO NOT have to register your weapon. If you show up at the SO or LSP with all that what you are saying, they are pretty much gonna lok at you and ask, "what do you want me to do with that"?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I know you can definelty change ownership on a serial number since I have done it in the past with owners who wanted to make sure they were clean from any responsibility, in fact I traded an entry level AR not long ago for 2 Springfield XD's and St. Martin Parish Sheriff switched the ownership on the numbers for us, or so we were told.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    A bit of the WECSOG action, I take it?

I don't understand what you are saying?

Wyle E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing. You said their names were on the guns. I am assuming LACarry was making a joke...good one.

I know you can definelty change ownership on a serial number since I have done it in the past with owners who wanted to make sure they were clean from any responsibility, in fact I traded an entry level AR not long ago for 2 Springfield XD's and St. Martin Parish Sheriff switched the ownership on the numbers for us, or so we were told.

My guess is that the St. Martin SO either made a note in a database they maintain (unlikely) or just said that after taking no action (very likely).

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La

The ONLY place to "switch" ownership is by filling out a BATF form 4473. That is the form you fill out to buy the weapon from a licensed dealer. That information on THAT form is recorded in the shop owners journal, to show the final chain of that weapons history from first being built to the distributor to the dealer and then to you and is readily available to the BATF on request.

FYI... When a gun is used in a crime, they will run the serial number and then track from there. Remember the shootings not too long ago at Ft Hood? Where did they wind up? The gun shop where the gun was originally purchased. Why? He was the original owner and the shop had the 4473 on file.

I'm sure that a bill of sale will help you, but I've never see a case or even case law where someone sold a gun and did not have a bill of sale to prove that is was sold get charged. The good thing about a bill of sale is that you are able to have a s/n on the weapon is case it is stolen.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    Of the guns I have bought or sold FTF I have never had paperwork involved. Buyer shows up with cash, seller shows up with said weapon. Trade the cash for the weapon, shoot the breeze for a few minutes and then go on your merry way.

If I bought from a dealer then have to fill out a 4473 and the FFL calls for a background check.

Last edited:

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Of the guns I have bought or sold FTF I have never had paperwork involved. Buyer shows up with cash, seller shows up with said weapon. Trade the cash for the weapon, shoot the breeze for a few minutes and then go on your merry way.

This is my preferred method also. If the seller wants a bill of sale, I will provide my info. Otherwise, cash & gun(s) trade hands then we go our separate ways.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Screw that, I rather have a "legal" paper, I always call my local SO to verify the serial number is clean, so I dont end up with a HOT gun and then get screwed on the deal. I know a lot of people just rather a hand shake but I dont want to be behind bars for something I didnt do, just as easy as calling Dispatcher Supervisor and if they are not busy (very likely) they dont mind running them for you at least in SMPSO.

LSU let me know if you received the "bill of sale" this morning, I got that one from one of them legal sights online, so I dont take the credit on all the legal complicated words but it basically says what you need for it to say, saying owner has the legal rights of the goods and takes legal responsability if needed, and that the trade or sale is being done in good faith (saying u didnt put a gun to the guys head to make him sign) it also provides you with a serial number of the firearm and it has both buyer and sellers DL#, hope its usefull for u.

Top Bottom