Old Shotgun Ammo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaggerBlade

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Baton Rouge LA
    I have some very old shotgun ammo. I have had it for 30+ years and it has been stored in climate controlled environment since I got it. I have no idea how it old or how it was stored prior to the time I got it. It is in a gauge I don't own. Do you think it is safe to shoot? A better question is would you shoot it in your shotgun?

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    Is it paper or plastic hulls? I've got some 30+ years that I've shot before with no issues. usually dirtier than more modern powders.

You can always cut one or two open to inspect the powder and primer for clumps or corrosion.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Climate has everything to do with how it last.
    Appearance is key. I have shot old shotgun no problems. And in surplus in rifle and pistols

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    30 years old? LOL! Oh that’s ancient!
    If it’s plastic hull, If the brass is not corroded and the hulls aren’t swollen to the point of feed issues, it won’t hurt the gun. I’ve got some from the 70’s with $2.29 TG&Y price stamps on the box and every bit still goes boom. That’s nearly 50 years old.
    Approximately half of the surplus 5.56 ammo I own is over 30 years old and I’ve had zero issues.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Shoot it
    I’m still shooting old paper hull overshotcard stuff I got from a widow in my 16ga
    Some of its ww2 era and is corrosive primed so clean the barrel with soap and water as well as solvent

It all goes bang and functions
    As long as the brass isn’t cracked and there’s no repeated squib loads or hull seperation it’s good

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I shoot lots of old shotgun ammo as long as it's not corroded. Tarnished is OK. I've never had a problem with them. No whoop/bangs or dud's so far. I have found that some older Remington shells had hard primers and sometimes need to be shot in a gun with a strong hammer spring.

Top Bottom