On FOX and Friends this morning.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    Heraldo Rivera was on Fox and Friends this morning (I know, I know he's a POS) and stated that assault rifles had to be banned and went on to say that Newtown was so bad BECAUSE an assault rifle was used. When a host said wouldn't a pistol have been just as bad Heraldo pratted on about how the gunman was able to "Spray" the classroom with the rifle and that's why it was so lethal. WE all know that's BS but not to the uninformed who were watching. BUT I got me thinking about AR-15 carbine vs 9mm pistol in an indoor shooting spree and it seems to me that if the shooter had 30 round magazines for both weapons the pistol would be much more efficient to use.
    - It's easier to move around and go through doorways etc with a pistol
    - it's easier to get a pistol on target in a close space
    - the rate of fire would be equal
    - A assault rifle is easier for a bystander to grab than a pistol
    - It's slightly easier and quicker for the AVERAGE person to change magazines on a pistol than an AR and get on target again
    - At close range a 9mm is just as likely to kill as a 5.56mm

It just seems to me that if I had to say which was more likely to have a higher toll in an indoor shooting spree it would be the small pistol than the large carbine. (Given the same # of rounds in equal capacity magazines) So I sent an angry email off to FOX but what do y'all think?

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Heraldo Rivera was on Fox and Friends this morning (I know, I know he's a POS) and stated that assault rifles had to be banned and went on to say that Newtown was so bad BECAUSE an assault rifle was used. When a host said wouldn't a pistol have been just as bad Heraldo pratted on about how the gunman was able to "Spray" the classroom with the rifle and that's why it was so lethal. WE all know that's BS but not to the uninformed who were watching. BUT I got me thinking about AR-15 carbine vs 9mm pistol in an indoor shooting spree and it seems to me that if the shooter had 30 round magazines for both weapons the pistol would be much more efficient to use.
    - It's slightly easier and quicker for the AVERAGE person to change magazines on a pistol than an AR and get on target again

It just seems to me that if I had to say which was more likely to have a higher toll in an indoor shooting spree it would be the small pistol than the large carbine. (Given the same # of rounds in equal capacity magazines) So I sent an angry email off to FOX but what do y'all think?

Please quit using the term "assault rifles" and correct every single person who does. They have been regulated since 1934. Use "semi auto AR, MSAR, semi-auto rifle, etc. We as gun owners need to break this incorrect definition in the media and around the non-gun owners as it is a black eye and the idiots know no better. Same goes for "high capacity magazines" its standard capacity, or reduced capacity mags. Most of the time I just use "magazine".

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Please quit using the term "assault rifles" and correct every single person who does. They have been regulated since 1934. Use "semi auto AR, MSAR, semi-auto rifle, etc. We as gun owners need to break this incorrect definition in the media and around the non-gun owners as it is a black eye and the idiots know no better. Same goes for "high capacity magazines" its standard capacity, or reduced capacity mags. Most of the time I just use "magazine".

I agree. The gun-ignorant hear a total moron like Geraldo dealing out false information & terminology, and Poof!- they picture a machine gun in their heads. :doh:

It's up to us to educate as many people on this subject as possible.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

I think you wasted your time and bandwidth with that e-mail.

They don't care, buddy!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Wait! Doesn't the "AR" in the term; "AR Platform", come from the words; "Assualt Rifle?" Even though they are not the true definition as we would like to see it expressed, They are "AR" style rifles. I think the hangup is on whether or not they are full auto or semi-auto.

If I were going to try to convince a dummy the difference, that would be the one disitnction that I would use. After all, the civilian versions, are in fact; a take off to what the military has; only semi-automatic. I believe that you should not get into the pitfall of trying to defend which type of "Semi-auto" rifle is acceptable for civilians to own over any others. Afterall, my Browning deer rifle, shoots just as fast as any off the shelf AR style rifle.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Wait! Doesn't the "AR" in the term; "AR Platform", come from the words; "Assualt Rifle?" Even though they are not the true definition as we would like to see it expressed, They are "AR" style rifles. I think the hangup is on whether or not they are full auto or semi-auto.

AR stands for ArmaLite- the original maker. :)

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    AR stands for ArmaLite- the original maker. :)

Roger that! My contention is that if you look at various online dictionary's; they seem to all come back to implying the AR stands for; or is erroneously inferred as, Assault Rifle.

This could be part of the problem.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Roger that! My contention is that if you look at various online dictionary's; they seem to all come back to implying the AR stands for; or is erroneously inferred as, Assault Rifle.

This could be part of the problem.

I should've known better you were clear on that! :thumbsup: Yeah, disinformation is like an epidemic.....

....and how many times in the past week have we all heard that all-time winning heavyweight champion term CLIPS???

pain-pain-ache-headache-smiley-emoticon-000336-large.gif

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    each one will fire as fast as you can pull the trigger. how will the rate of fire be different?

You're right, I should've specified rate of accurate fire. ARs are simply easier to shoot than a pistol.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    I should've known better you were clear on that! :thumbsup: Yeah, disinformation is like an epidemic.....

....and how many times in the past week have we all heard that all-time winning heavyweight champion term CLIPS???

pain-pain-ache-headache-smiley-emoticon-000336-large.gif

I don't understand what the excitement is all about over some reporter demonstrating his ignorance over nomenclature...:dunno:

drpc

Across the State Line
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2010
    Picayune, MS
    I think you wasted your time and bandwidth with that e-mail.

They don't care, buddy!
    I wouldn't have wasted my time with CNN or MSNBC but this was Fox News which leans a little to the right. Fox hasn't been calling for action on guns like the liberal left channels.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I wouldn't have wasted my time with CNN or MSNBC but this was Fox News which leans a little to the right. Fox hasn't been calling for action on guns like the liberal left channels.

They could walk to the right at a 90 degree angle. It won't matter! They all (yes even Fox News), have a master (ratings, editors, producers, shareholders), to serve at some point and time. Fox News is just easier on your ears.

I am not condemming your effort or your motivation, BTW.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville

Like Bill O'Reilly, He's a second amendment guy, BUT(His words heard many times inthe last week, not mine)

It seems they are leaning a little in the wrong direction since election night, IMHO

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I don't understand what the excitement is all about over some reporter demonstrating his ignorance over nomenclature...:dunno:

Because while we all happen to know he's wrong, many people out there are going to believe him- and there is no one on hand to refute what he says. Again & again.

And no- I'm not talking about CLIPS. They've got a good portion of the country out there confused about what SEMI-auto means. :dunno:

A guy in Germany once said something along the lines of 'if you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth.' I think there's more than enough evidence out there pertaining to guns to support this.

But that's just my opinion. :)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom