One AR to rule them all or multiple for all scenarios?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 70mikenike70

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2022
    Lake Charles
    Ok so I want everyone to give their opinions on this. Should we as gun enthusiasts, ex law enforcement, ex military, and current of all only have 1 go to weapon for SHTF or even hunting? Or should we have multiple rifles with different configurations? What’s the practicality of having one or multiple? Would we really be lugging around 5 different rifles for different purposes or just that one do it all? I think about military and law enforcement and they only have one duty rifle, but neither are dealing with SHTF where they aren’t killing for food and self defense…. Pros? Cons? Thoughts? Relative comments?

RussnAttitude

always learning
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    UN
    I have 2 primary AR's. One in 5.56 with sort of a utilitarian setup for under 200m, and another chambered in 6.5 Grendel set up for past 200m. Working on a 7.5 pistol in 5.56 now for tight space stuff/fun.

When I was in the Navy I got the chance to work with some guys who would change parts/how their carbine was set up based on intel they had about their mission objectives, environment, what they expected to be involved in, etc...

Last edited:

V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    IMO, I think a small number of rifles. At least that's how I've come to see things. Really, one would be best in terms of being accurate and like second nature to use, ie. automatic. But, sometimes, as in Iraq where targets would use coat hangers to cut off circulation where they'd been shot so they could keep fighting, when hit in the arm or leg. If I only had one rifle it would have to be lovely Kate. So I'd be using tweezers to recover slivers of rabbet or squirrel. I've always had a thing for slender ladies :bigok:

BDClone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    Louisiana
    It's nice to have multiple platforms and calibers for different purposes. I even have a bolt action AR upper in 6mm ARC. Yes a true 60° throw lever 3 lug bolt with a special barrel extension that fits on AR-15 lowers. It's heavy and clunky to carry around unless you're just taking a buggy to a stand for hunting. I have various calibers and various barrel lengths that accomplish different things. I am AR focused because of modularity and caliber choices. I even hunt with AR's .

My theory on SHTF is, I am not leaving going anywhere and carrying all my gear and ammo. I have a caliber I focus on the most with various setups and then I have the one gun that I know that I can take with me to get me back home, kill game, or do a variety of tasks, if needed, just a mag change gives me a variety of options.

Attachments

• 20230418_171710.jpg
      20230418_171710.jpg
      459.3 KB · Views: 68
    • 20221101_161529.jpg
      20221101_161529.jpg
      309 KB · Views: 71
    • IMG_20230820_102448_756.jpg
      IMG_20230820_102448_756.jpg
      138.3 KB · Views: 75

BDClone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2022
    Louisiana
    I have 2 primary AR's. One in 5.56 with sort of a utilitarian setup for under 200m, and another chambered in 6.5 Grendel set up for past 200m. Working on a 7.5 pistol in 5.56 now for tight space stuff/fun.

When I was in the Navy I got the chance to work with some guys who would change parts/how their carbine was set up based on intel they had about their mission objectives, environment, what they expected to be involved in, etc...
    A 7.5 inch 5.56 is fun but change that to 300blk and it more versatile.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    One to do it all may get a B- across multiple scenarios, specialized ARs may score an A+ in some areas and C- in others.
    As always both is the correct answer.

I can do a hell of a lot with my DDV11 and an AimPoint, but there are things I can do a little better with my AR10 and a 1x8, or my 300BO will excel in certain situations, even my latest EPC9 has its place.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I agree with most replies especially the hard to stop at 1. I thought I would but somehow that has blossomed into multiples and that is not including special purpose uppers that don't have lowers.
    I have my hunting AR, my ARs in 5.56, 9mm, and 300BO. Also an AR10 for reach out and touch stuff.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    At one time I was up to around 13 ARs and about 6 bolt guns then just lost interest in them. I’m going on around 4 years since I’ve sold them all and don’t regret it at all. I don’t hunt and I honestly don’t enjoy shooting from a static position so I didn’t see the need to keep them. If I ever gained access to a spot I could move while shooting with a long gun OR started hunting again I would probably have guns setup multiple ways.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    At one time I was up to around 13 ARs and about 6 bolt guns then just lost interest in them. I’m going on around 4 years since I’ve sold them all and don’t regret it at all. I don’t hunt and I honestly don’t enjoy shooting from a static position so I didn’t see the need to keep them. If I ever gained access to a spot I could move while shooting with a long gun OR started hunting again I would probably have guns setup multiple ways.
    You sold all of your firearms?

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    You sold all of your firearms?
    I sold every one of my long gun yes. I don’t collect guns and they just sat around collecting dust. I also sold 90% + of my handguns. I’m a minimalist and if I don’t use something on a regular basis it’s got to go (for the most part).

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    I sold every one of my long gun yes. I don’t collect guns and they just sat around collecting dust. I also sold 90% + of my handguns. I’m a minimalist and if I don’t use something on a regular basis it’s got to go (for the most part).
    I did the same but kept several 22 pistols and rifles and a old double barreled shotgun. Been in the family for years.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I did the same but kept several 22 pistols and rifles and a old double barreled shotgun. Been in the family for years.
    I can understand that. I had none that were sentimental to me, I’m sure at some point my dad will pass some down to me and I would never sell those.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would think a 16 inch 556 carbine with a good red dot and a light would cover most bases. Add a good sling, and a good gun case/bag. Maybe have a magnified optic/scope with a throw lever or qd mount in the gun case that is zeroed should you need to make a longer shot. 556 has its limits, but shot placement is key. Oh, and a lot of continued training so you can actually use it effectively.

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    For SHTF, if you are single/by yourself, a 16" general purpose AR is best for CQB/urban, hunting, hitting torso targets at 500 yards. You will probably not have enough information or be able carry specific setups.

Now, if you have a family or some trusted people with you, you could have...
    1. ultra light carbines with red dots
    2. Scoped SPR types with suppressor and bipod
    3. Short .300BLK for shooting subs close range
    4. 18-20" 6.5 grendel for intermediate range and hunting
    5. and many more

Top Bottom