One for the Tesla fanbois.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    One day, one of the world powers is going to unleash a frequency or electronic wave that causes lithium batteries to self-ignite, and the whole USA & Westernized world will burn to the ground and the casualties will be unimaginable.

Maybe I'm wrong....

I wanted to see the video but the ads on yahoo were 2.5mins long, settled for the pic lol.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I own a LOT of lipo batteries, but not in my new car. Fuel efficient ICE for me. That is ~ 9000 gallons to extinguish it, that is a LOT of water. Most pumpers carry 300 to 1000 gallons, for vehicle fires. That Tesla ignites on the freeway, it will burn to the ground. I've seen ICEs do some funny things during and after being flooded, but not self-ignite. Headlights on, wipers on, horn blowing. Auto-ignition....no.

Most every cell phone today has a lipo battery in it.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The conversation stuff a few places do allways intrigued me.
    They pull old ICE out and do a retrofit of Tesla. So you can have classic car-truck with modern Tesla stuff.
    I would guess they are covered fir liability pretty heavy. The cost is not cheap. It is more than enough fir a quick (not fast car)
    Looks to be a rich guy thing to have a classic that in their circles is ok since not ruining the world. At least to them.
    From memory Prince Harry had a Classic Mustang done or it was his brother.
    Don Garlits Dragster had a fire but was quickly put out. It was very fast fir something with a battery bank that spins a motor.
    Toqure is great.
    There is a video out there.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    another EV fire.

While charging. Like the China syndrome, requiring thousands of gallons of water to extinguish. "However, Tuesday’s fire required nearly 45,000 gallons of water and multiple units, including an engine, tower, battalion chief, rescue, hazmat, and an air response vehicle."

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    One day, one of the world powers is going to unleash a frequency or electronic wave that causes lithium batteries to self-ignite, and the whole USA & Westernized world will burn to the ground and the casualties will be unimaginable.

Maybe I'm wrong....

I wanted to see the video but the ads on yahoo were 2.5mins long, settled for the pic lol.
    I wonder how many people have lithium batteries in the gun safe with the flashlights or optics that could start a fire?

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Belgium has specialized EV fire response for that, basically a smaller connex shipping box, that is filled with water once the EV is in it, submerging the car.

Funny you should mention that. I was searching latest info about the last car carrier ship fire, and they towed it into port after the fire was extinguished. M/V Freemantle Highway. Unloading Mercedes EVs with a crane and submerging them in a metal bin filled with water. Looks like a large roll off bin, open top. Car was not on fire @ that moment but had exterior burn damage visible, and some steam being released while dunked. So clearly its still hot, or reactive. Been a lot of ship car carrier fires lately, like three I can remember in the last couple years. One ship sank completely, but they stated minimal environmental impact. Yeah right.

here is the video of MB "bath"

V.Taltos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2023
    North Louisiana Swamps
    Not only are these things dangerous, but now they are putting 'mega-pack' battery bank installations throughout the country and these massive places can catch fire and born hotter and longer then cars can! This technology isn't "saving" the climate or even saving people money!

Abby Normal

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    Metry
    In the story John posted, the car was a Nissan Leaf that burned, on Nissan lane. It makes me think that was at a plant or HQ. Poetic Justice for the company Flagship effort to save the planet to burn down at your own plant. Too bad it didn’t burn down the assembly line.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    Here is a fact based writeup on how to handle lipo battery issues. Battery overheating, bulging, or violent reaction/combusting. The fact is we all have lipo batteries in our daily life, be it your cell phone, a battery powered weed eater or lawn mower, an E bike, a hoverboard, or perhaps your child's Gameboy. Common sense tells you the bigger the battery, the larger the hazard potential is. I have had lipo batteries in my life for 12+ years. I have a pretty large collection of lipos associated with my surface rc vehicles, and now I have a few rc planes too. And my weed eater too, for 4 or 5 years. I have lipos for my surface rc toys as large as 4 cell, 16 volt 9000 mah, have a couple large 6 cell too. My lipo collection is prob 20 or 25 batteries total. I store them in GI ammo cans, like my ammo, lol.

Anyways, here is a factual write on handling lipos and hazards, from a battery company. Most issues come up while charging lipos, or shorting them out, or reversing connections/not observing correct polarity. Sometimes people do some really dumb s*it, burn down their house or garage. Charge rc lipos on their dining room table, and leave the house.
    lipo battery handling and hazards

Top Bottom