Open Carry?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I appreciate the efforts of that third group - as long as those efforts aren't carried out in a fanatical manner (or in a manner that gives the appearance of being fanatical).

Had a few thoughts about this while driving around this morning. Just thought I'd share. I am sure some might call me "extremist" (possibly meaning fanatical, depends on your connotation), but if they do, I know I am in good company. :D "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." – Barry Goldwater (1964)

"...shall not be infringed." Second Amendment to the USC

Combine that thought with these next two:

"To maintain the ascendancy of the Constitution over the lawmaking majority is the great and essential point on which the success of the [American] system must depend; unless that ascendancy can be preserved, the necessary consequence must be that the laws will supersede the Constitution; and, finally, the will of the Executive, by influence of its patronage, will supersede the laws ..." -- John C. Calhoun (1782-1850)

"On every question of construction, let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." – Thomas Jefferson

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." – Benjamin Franklin

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." – Samuel Adams

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" -Patrick Henry to the Virginia House of Burgesses, 1775

"Government at its best is a necessary evil, and at its worst, an intolerant one." – Thomas Paine

"I have sworn upon the altar of god, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." – Thomas Jefferson (1800)

"There are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by the gradual and silent encroachment of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpation." – James Madison

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as Freedom should not be highly rated." – Thomas Paine

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere." – Thomas Jefferson (1743-1846), U.S. President, Letter to Abigail Adams, 22 February 1787

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." – Thomas Jefferson (Think about the National Firearms Act and the Gun Control Act when you read that one!

Last edited:

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    Dear Mr. Carry:

I'm sure you didn't intend to misquote me, or to selectively delete a portion of the sentence that you quoted. I can readily envision how the ethernet fairies, or perhaps an evil Moderator, could remove the clause that failed to appear the "quote" portion of your response.

Let me try to help you out. Who knows? Maybe the entire sentence will appear:

"I appreciate the efforts of that third group - as long as those efforts aren't carried out in a fanatical manner (or in a manner that gives the appearance of being fanatical)."

There........................I fixed it for you.

Last edited:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Dear Mr. Carry:

I'm sure you didn't intend to misquote me, or to selectively delete a portion of the sentence that you quoted. I can readily envision how the ethernet fairies, or perhaps an evil Moderator, could remove the clause that failed to appear the "quote" portion of your response.

Let me try to help you out. Who knows? Maybe the entire sentence will appear:

"I appreciate the efforts of that third group - as long as those efforts aren't carried out in a fanatical manner (or in a manner that gives the appearance of being fanatical)."

There........................I fixed it for you.

Whoa, dude. Apparently we have discovered the limitations of this written medium once again. I never meant to change any context from your post. I assumed that anyone who had read as far as (what was) the last post on this thread would comprehend the context w/o having to reread more than necessary. I was not implying that you called me fanatical (I am not sure what you thought I was implying...), I was simply expounding on an allusion. Sarcasm aside, did you have any other thoughts on the information posted?

ETA: I added the section in red to my eariler post. I do not see what it changes, but I apologize for any appearance of impropriety.

Last edited:

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    Well, yes and no.

I appreciate your sentiment, and Louisiana Carry seeks to bring the shooting community together as much as possible, remember one thing...

There were plenty of gun owning Tories during the War for American Independence and the War for Southern Independence. Our actions dictate what 'side' we are on, rather than whether we own a gun. :)

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I know of 8 guys that came to one of those road block near NO and had three LEOs try to confiscate their weapons. The guys told them to climb a tree. The LEOs thought about it for a minute and let them go.

The King tried to take our guns not too many generations ago, don't forget. That one turned out rather well.

Oh, and open carry has the "support" of the AG. Enough for me. You do your thing, I'll do mine.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    If we all lay down quietly the gestapo won't come for us, got it.

I agree 100%. While we are on the subject, I think all owners of Assault Rifles are making it hard for the rest of us. Normal everyday people aren't used to seeing AKs & ARs. Everytime they see these for sale in the stores or in the possession of civilians, it hurts the gun community. Why even this last bit of legislation, the Louisiana Assault Weapons Ban, would have banned my Ruger 10/22 along with all those "Terrorist Rifles" you gun fanatics insist on owning. Your irresponsible insistant ownership of these rifles jeopardizes my 2nd Amendment rights to own a Hunting Rifle. And don't even get me started on semi-automatic pistols. Who needs more than 6 rounds anyway in self defense? The gun community needs to start thinking about the public and how we are perceived as a whole.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I agree 100%. While we are on the subject, I think all owners of Assault Rifles are making it hard for the rest of us. Normal everyday people aren't used to seeing AKs & ARs. Everytime they see these for sale in the stores or in the possession of civilians, it hurts the gun community. Why even this last bit of legislation, the Louisiana Assault Weapons Ban, would have banned my Ruger 10/22 along with all those "Terrorist Rifles" you gun fanatics insist on owning. Your irresponsible insistant ownership of these rifles jeopardizes my 2nd Amendment rights to own a Hunting Rifle. And don't even get me started on semi-automatic pistols. Who needs more than 6 rounds anyway in self defense? The gun community needs to start thinking about the public and how we are perceived as a whole.

smiliejack.jpg

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Please please please tell me this was sarcasm.

It was my attempt at extreme sarcasm. I was trying to make a point. Guns make sheeple wet their pants. Sheeple are hoplophobes because they are not used to seeing firearms anymore. The only place they see them are on LEO or in the movies. They need to get used to seeing them more. OC is a good start.

I understand what some of you mean when you say OC makes it harder on the rest of the community, but I disagree. I think if alot of people started to OC, the worst outcome would be the government inacting laws against it. You think they would try harder to ban firearms? The ones that want them gone are already trying their damndest. I don't think it would make any difference in that respect.

If you think OC will make it more likely for them to ban OC, then I say, "So what?". What good is a right anyway if you don't exercise it?

Do I open carry? Never, I am coward and I do not practice what I preach. But I have the utmost respect for those that do.

On the battlefield they are assault rifles. In my home they are defense rifles. At the range they are sporting rifles. Ban them and they will become hidden rifles.

I know. I used the mis-speak to make a point. I was trying to sound like a Zumbo and strike a nerve. We have a right to own and deploy Homeland Defense Rifles. HDRs make sheeple make puddles. The media loves to put HDRs on TV (KSLA couldn't wait to show a Saiga last month) to scare the sheeple. If we all gave up our semi-auto rifles the gun banners would leave us alone..for awhile..........

It is time we stopped giving up rights by default and instead began to exercise them. Time to flex a little. Alot of liberal senators and reps are scared of gun control right now. We should re-enforce that fear.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    And besides, ppl, let us remember that most of the time it doesn't really matter, since the general public is usually so miserable at situational awareness that I could walk around with a toad taped to my pants zipper and I would be suprised if one person a day noticed.

BTW, when we goin' shootin, verm? (Today we could practise some water drills):D

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Hello all, new to this forum and i'm trying to understand open carry. My question is, since i'm 19 years old and can legally possess a handgun, does that make it legal for me to OC as an alternative to CC?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    RE: IconicDog's comment
    "Hello all, new to this forum and i'm trying to understand open carry. My question is, since i'm 19 years old and can legally possess a handgun, does that make it legal for me to OC as an alternative to CC?"

I thought you had to be 21 to purchase a handgun, 18 to purchase a rifle or shotgun. Is there an age rule on possession? Can a minor (say a 16 yr old in a vehicle that contains a firearm) possess a gun?

Also, the appropriate term for an AR-15 (or any semiauto rifle) is a "Homeland Defense Weapon".

IonicDOG

Hacker
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    Houma, LA
    From what I understand 18 to "purchase" rifle and shotgun, 21 to "purchase" handgun. 18 to "possess" handgun. The pistol that i have was given to me as a birthday gift from my grandfather, the gun is still in his name, but i can possess it at my house or in my truck.

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    §95.8. Illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile

A. It is unlawful for any person who has not attained the age of seventeen years knowingly to possess any handgun on his person. Any person possessing any handgun in violation of this Section commits the offense of illegal possession of a handgun by a juvenile.

B.(1) On a first conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one hundred dollars and imprisoned for not less than ninety days and not more than six months.

(2) On a second conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars and imprisoned with or without hard labor for not more than two years.

(3) On a third or subsequent conviction, the offender shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars and imprisoned at hard labor for not more than five years.

(4) A juvenile adjudicated delinquent under this Section, having been previously found guilty or adjudicated delinquent for any crime of violence as defined by R.S. 14:2(B), or attempt or conspiracy to commit any such offense, shall upon a first or subsequent conviction be fined not less than five hundred dollars and not more than one thousand dollars and shall be imprisoned with or without hard labor for not less than six months and not more than five years. At least ninety days shall be served without benefit of probation, parole, or suspension of sentence.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to any person under the age of seventeen years who is:

(1) Attending a hunter's safety course or a firearms safety course.

(2) Engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range.

(3) Hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license issued to him pursuant to the laws of this state.

(4) Traveling to or from any activity described in Paragraph (1), (2), or (3) of this Subsection while in possession of an unloaded gun.

(5) On real property with the permission of his parent or legal guardian and with the permission of the owner or lessee of the property.

(6) At such person's residence and who, with the permission of such person's parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun.

(7) Possessing a handgun with the written permission of such person's parent or legal guardian; provided that such person carries on his person a copy of such written permission.

D. For the purposes of this Section "handgun" means a firearm as defined in R.S. 14:37.2, provided however, that the barrel length shall not exceed twelve inches.

Top Bottom