Opinion letter in the advocate about Advocate's article on HB199

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    http://www.2theadvocate.com/opinion/17410074.html

Please, a few comments on Mr. Jordan Blum’s Saturday, March 29, 2008, front-page article: “Bill would allow guns on college campuses”?

My appreciation of true journalism is that it requires a balanced presentation of facts from all sides of an issue. It certainly requires much more than quoting “authority figures” who are spouting partisan victim disarmament bigotry as “fact.”

Mr. Blum ignores a cornucopia of positive information on the Internet about concealed handgun carry in general, and on college campuses in particular that, with balanced employment, would have converted his article into a communication from which readers could have drawn their own conclusions (Try Internet sites http://www.guncite.com or http://www.keepandbeararms.com).

He regurgitates the same old, tired, anti-civil rights propaganda we heard when Louisiana was considering “shall issue” concealed handgun carry laws in the 1990s. The arguments are just as lame and ignorant now as they were then.

Listen to University of Tennessee law professor Glenn Reynolds’ excellent summation of the civil and human rights perspective of concealed handgun carry: “Police can’t be everywhere, and as incidents from Columbine to Virginia Tech demonstrate, by the time they show up at a mass shooting, it’s usually too late. On the other hand, one group of people is, by definition, always on the scene: the victims. Only[,] if they’re armed, they may wind up not being victims at all.

“ ‘Gun-free zones’ are premised on a fantasy: That murderers will follow rules, and that … [armed students] … are a greater danger to those around them than crazed killers like Cho Seung-hui [at Virginia Tech]. That’s an insult. Sometimes, it’s a deadly one.” (http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions...people_dont_stop_killers_people_with_gun.html)

We should weep at the memory of the Virginia Tech police outside the classroom building while a madman murdered with impunity. That madman committed suicide only when the SWAT team began to finally break into the building, 20-something murders later. So much for police protection. …

Mr. Blum’s article continues the sickeningly condescending, disrespectful and patronizing perspective one can always expect from The Advocate whenever the issue of our civil and human rights to self-defense arises. The Advocate should be better than that.

As the saying goes, “When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.”

Ronald Domingue
    financial manager
    Lafayette

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    This is awesome. It's nice to know that there are people not affiliated with internet sites that believe the same things we do when it comes to firearms & rights.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Ronnie is a friend of mine. You can always count on him to stand up to these media morons.
    Thanks Ronnie. Keep em in the 10 ring. :)

ART

FWIW, there are two Ron Domingues in Lafayette.

I know because I sent the wrong one a message on facebook. :rofl:

7.62mm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Many Thanks for the kind words.

Hi!

Many thanks for the kind words, much appreciate. Worked real hard on that letter; seems to have come out okay.

Art, thanks for the call man, nice to hear from you.

In my not so humble opinion, that Advocate "Article" was the opening shot in the war by the "Authorities" against CCW on college campuses. A "Call to arms" (Pun intended) against us.

So the ball is in your court. Please call your representatives and ask them to support and vote for HB 199.

Merci Bien

Molon Labe

7.62 mm

(AKA: 1,000 yard weasel or Ronnie D.)

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Hi!

Many thanks for the kind words, much appreciate. Worked real hard on that letter; seems to have come out okay.

Art, thanks for the call man, nice to hear from you.

In my not so humble opinion, that Advocate "Article" was the opening shot in the war by the "Authorities" against CCW on college campuses. A "Call to arms" (Pun intended) against us.

So the ball is in your court. Please call your representatives and ask them to support and vote for HB 199.

Merci Bien

Molon Labe

7.62 mm

(AKA: 1,000 yard weasel or Ronnie D.)

Welcome aboard!

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Surely, I thought it was well worth sharing.

I wonder how many people sent the other guy in Lafayette with the same name as you kudos. :rofl:

Top Bottom