Opinions of an optic for my rifle...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usafcajun

USAF/LEO/IT
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Assumption Parish
    I'm about done building my version of an SPR and am considering putting a Leupold 6.5-20x50 scope on it. The rifle can be seen here for reference. http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...ctures-Thread!&p=839213&viewfull=1#post839213

I'll be taking it off of a Wetherby 7mm Rem Mag to put on this. I'm looking to use it for longer distance shooting, say 100-300 yrds, maybe further if I drive right up the road to Palo Alto. Is this overkill or should I look at different scopes?

dtd80

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Overkill depends on your usage. I think anything beyond 100yds would be good with the scope mentioned. Of course, you can definitely shoot further out with that particular scope and setup. I hope you don't plan on carrying it on yourself for long periods of time.....hehe. After spending some time shooting those mentioned distances, I can say that any 3-15x scope would work. But a little more magnification doesn't hurt if your eyes aren't perfect. I prefer more magnification if possible but that's my preference.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    For at the range (bench or prone) at known distances it'll be a great scope. At 20x the glass is clear enough in the Leupy to spot your own bullet holes and if it's the Mk IV with side parrallax adjustment then you can really set it up for whatever distance you're shooting. I was shooting the Mk IV 6.5-20x50 yesterday on a buddy's LTR .308 at Fussilier and going from 100 to 200 to 300 in the same string the scope really shined. If you can get the gun to group the Hornady 75's halfway decent you ought to stretch it's legs out to 600 at PA.

Top Bottom