Opinions on XS Sights & which Gunsmith in NOLA AREA?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    hey guys..... im looking at getting some sights to replace the factory sights on my Springfield XD9 and Springfield 1911 mil-spec. I looked around the internet and saw these XS Sights http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sights&cID=Sights&pID=sights&sID=handgun . and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? I like it because it's as simple as dotting the I. anyone with feedback on these would be great. here's a video of it also..... http://youtu.be/iQVCeJ103BQ

im also seeing if anybody knows of a good gunsmith in the NOLA area that can install sights for me also. I saw that some one had said Jim's Firearms in BR was really good, but would like to stay around the NOLA area if possible. but if the turnaround time at Jim's Firearms was quick (2 days or so) i'd drive to BR to him.

thanks in advance!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    Have you tried them? I would, the XS sights seem to be a "love it or hate it" kinda thing. I tried them, I'm in the "hate it" camp.

fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    no haven't tried them.... but i seem to like these better the way it works then the 3 dots even if they are green or whatever color you choose!

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    They just didn't seem to have the accuracy I need/want. The guy in the video pretty much admits they may not be accurate enough for competition or police qualifications, and I definitely need to qualify with my guns and sometimes shoot comps for fun. They seem to sacrifice accuracy for an alleged speed increase. When every bullet has a team of lawyers attached to it, I'll keep my accuracy and train for the speed.

operator223

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    I gotta take the other side on this one...... I've been using XS sights ever since the 90's and I love them. They are very easy to install yourself on a glock, dont know about an xD, and they can be problematic on a 1911 style pistol depending on whether your front sight is staked in, and what cut you have for your rear. Better to call XS when ordering for a 1911.

all you need is the sights, they come with a little delrin punch rod and the tiny allen wrench to lock them down. in the case of glock they give you this little combination tool (you have to have it for the front sight), and getcha some fresh red locktite. I have a laser aligner so I can know for sure the sights are dead on when I apply the locktite and screw them down and let it dry. It's very easy. Just make sure it's good before the locktite dries !!

There are plain white, large dot and tritium center. The regular dot is more paper accurate for impressing people and yourself, but you will very much appreciate the big dot when you have to go fast or in dim light.

Go to Barney's Police Supply in New Orleans. They are a few blocks east of bonnabel on the I-10 service road. They will order them and put them on for you quickly and reasonably. They are very knowledgeable and teach you all kinds of stuff. They will put them on correctly, and check them unlike other gun shops in the area that will just slap them on and ring you up.

333 N. I-10 Service Rd E.,

Suite 101,

Metairie, La 70005

504-849-9995

fr3nchy524

resident asian shooter!
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    new orleans
    I gotta take the other side on this one...... I've been using XS sights ever since the 90's and I love them. They are very easy to install yourself on a glock, dont know about an xD, and they can be problematic on a 1911 style pistol depending on whether your front sight is staked in, and what cut you have for your rear. Better to call XS when ordering for a 1911.

all you need is the sights, they come with a little delrin punch rod and the tiny allen wrench to lock them down. in the case of glock they give you this little combination tool (you have to have it for the front sight), and getcha some fresh red locktite. I have a laser aligner so I can know for sure the sights are dead on when I apply the locktite and screw them down and let it dry. It's very easy. Just make sure it's good before the locktite dries !!

There are plain white, large dot and tritium center. The regular dot is more paper accurate for impressing people and yourself, but you will very much appreciate the big dot when you have to go fast or in dim light.

Go to Barney's Police Supply in New Orleans. They are a few blocks east of bonnabel on the I-10 service road. They will order them and put them on for you quickly and reasonably. They are very knowledgeable and teach you all kinds of stuff. They will put them on correctly, and check them unlike other gun shops in the area that will just slap them on and ring you up.

333 N. I-10 Service Rd E.,

Suite 101,

Metairie, La 70005

504-849-9995

thank you sir... will check them out!

Mneil

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Denham Springs, La.
    I have an Amriglo front (green) on my Tuarus Pro 24/7 and a set of Meprolite white dots on my XD9. Both are great but I have to give the edge to the Meprolite. I bought both from Midway USA and had Jim's Firearms in Baton Rouge install them at a whopping cost of $25.00 per firearm.

LA_Huntsman

Call of Booty
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 15, 2006
    St. Joseph
    I looked at them... the BigDot ones are WAY too big for any kind of accuracy. I was looking at the fibre optic front sight but I really want something that glows in the dark.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I do not care for the big dot sights, I prefer the Ameriglo pro Glow front night sight with the Ameriglo Operator rear night sight. The Ameriglo black metal rear sight is another option with the Pro Glow front night sight.

King of D Open
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Vieux Carre
    I have Big Dots on my pocket CCW guns, a Kahr PM9 and a P380 and like them a lot. Holsters had to be modified or special ordered because of the height of the front sight.

Since the Kahrs are nasty for sight installation, I sent the slides to XS and they did the installs and returned them sighted in. I believe they offer this service inexpensively, with a quick turnaround.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    If you were picking up a pistol for the very first time and receiving the proper training on how it should be shot (well)... The XS might be a viable option...

... for someone who is absolutely, positively certain they will never have a need for a tight or long (or both) shot of any kind. Personally, I don't like to limit my options for an allegation of speed that (at least for me, on the timer) simply doesn't exist.

If you've got even a little bit of experience shooting notch-and-post at speed, you will probably not prefer the Big Dots. And those with extreme visual patience will absolutely, positively hate them. Refining that "dotted I" sight picture is slow and difficult, as you have reduced your points of reference by 60%. (Notch + post = the tops of both rear blades, the light on either side of the front blade, the top of the front blade; Dots = the top of the rear and the bottom of the dot, for both windage and elevation.) In theory, simpler would be better for your eyes; in reality, human vision is ridiculously complex AND efficient and works better with as much perspective and reference material as possible for fine alignment.

If you trained hard enough on them, without any real previous experience on notch-and-post (the sight pictures after all are diametrically opposed), you might overcome these handicaps and reach the same max potential as you'd have with traditional options. Big "might* would be my bet, though...

To top it all off, I don't personally know a single serious shooter who uses or promotes them. In my book, that's enough for me to stay away. Although I do kinda like 70116's idea of them on a tiny pocket gun-- but I don't much like tiny pocket guns, either!

Top Bottom