Opinions re 308 mag (FN FAL) for a RRA LAR-8

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satoups

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lousiana
    I just received a new RRA LAR-8 .308 for my boss. I order and assemble all my bosses shooting needs etc. Anyway, the mag that came with the firearm (metal stamped mil spec.) does not function properly. It is a very lose fit and cause feeding issues. The only way to keep it cycling is to support the mag while shooting. After careful testing I call Rock River and they confirmed that they are having a MAJOR issue with the mags they are sending out and they are in the process of producing 0a polymer mag and they are unable to keep up with demand and replace the metal ones. The metal ones they are shipping out is a gamble and they have no solution for it right now. They suggest gluing a shim on the mag to stiffen it up (old trick we use to do with earlier firearms). He (BJ in the repairs division) said that he has over 1K shipped back sitting in the shop just waiting for a polymer mag to ship back with the gun to the customer. Anyway it can take months to just get a factory mag that works.
    Has anyone had this issue and what aftermarket mag did you go with. To my understanding it accepts the metric and 1" mag. It should accept all FN mags correct? I would assume that its a hit and miss with the mil spec mags but does anyone have a suggestion of which mags are pretty consistent to work correctly in the LAR-8? other than the mag the rifle is nice like all RRA.
    Does anyone have some good used mags to sale? I am reading that DPMS, Springfield and Magpul has some decent ones.....

Thanks
    Scott

satoups

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lousiana
    Thanks but I would like some opinions as to make and model mags that have been consistent with the LAR-8. Plus I don't need that many lol

MyTFAL

"It's no big deal,...."
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Abita Springs
    I would personally try one of the Bazillion surplus metric FAL 20 rd mags, and go from there. Sounds like the problem lies with RRA supplier, ....lowest bid wins......

Top Bottom