Opinions Wanted On Derringers

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    Looking at purchasing a derringer. An old neighbor of mine used to have a square barreled .22 LR derringer, I think it was a Ruger, but I could be wrong. It held four rounds, and could either be shot two at a time or all four rounds out at once. Anyone know of something like this?
    If not, any suggestions? I looked into the .45/410 models, but I really want something smaller and easy to hide.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    I think a J-frame is a better option. If not, anything above 9mm/.38 is just painful to shoot. My 9mm derringer was very unpleasant to shoot, it was like getting punched in the hand. They're definitely an "emergency only" type of weapon.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    During LEO days I carried a High Standard .22 magnum in rear pants pocket in a wallet holster on some days. That or the previously mentioned NAA 5 shot revolver, but in .22 mag. That one I carried in a "wife designed" holster that consisted of altering the pocket of a uniform shirt to the shape of the weapon.

You can still find the High Standards out there if you search and expect to pay in the $250 to $300 range. They are only two shots, but are a double action design that is VERY fast to fire those two shots.

Consider either to be a "in the ribs" or "under the chin" type last ditch weapon imo.

Although I have seen some articles (yeah I know, gunrag nonsense is gunrag nonsense) lately about NAA upgrading their offerings, IIRC, "the PUG" that includes a set of XS sights. The writer was touting that he could hit a 8" or so target out to 10 yards with it. My thought was yeah, perhaps if everyone was standing perfectly still, but life rarely presents that option. And usually not in a self defense situation.

They have a place in the self defense realm imo. But it is a niche at best and perhaps best suited as a backup role. The thought of relying on one as a primary carry arm frankly never occurred to me. If I'm gonna carry, I'm gonna carry so to speak. YMMW and it is true that ANY gun you have with you is better than one at home.

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I'm really looking for a small, easily concealed last ditch weapon. I would like .22 mag or bigger, just not as big as .45/410. I haven't shot one, but I could only imagine I could save the time and just hit my hand with a hammer for free.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    That sound like a COP 4 shot and I think it only comes in 357. That's the only "modern" maker of that style now. I might be wrong though...

The 4 barrled .22 is a copy of an 19th century pistol, IIRC by Remington.
    Brass frame etc.
    May have been made around the turn of the century.

They are out there, but a couple things:

I would not recomend a rimfire for self defense.

PERIOD!

I also carried a High Standard (doublebarrel, as described) at one time, and it is the ONLY derrenger I would even CONSIDER as a backup...
    Partially due to the Double action... (Ever try to cock a derringer or NAA fast under stress? I've owned and TRIED to train with both.)

The High standard was made (Muchg harder to find) in several centerfire chamberings including .38 and I believe 9mm.
    (MAy not have been under the High Standard name as the design has been used or sold to several companies) -My memory is sketchy on the details.

I have also owned and used the single barrel 410/45Colt.
    It's recoil is honestly not that bad.
    But, lay it next to a J frame and tell me if it's worth carrying.

As I said, a J frame will be about your best option. There are several right around 12 Oz.

If that is 'too much' (Why it would be I have no idea)

The Seecamp is an EXCELENT choice, and for less money the Kel Tec is an 'ok' choice in a 'carry a lot, shoot a little'

I have a Kel Tec as my 'Pool gun'

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    With things like the Ruger LCP and other micro guns these days, a derringer is stupid.

Also, I have read many stories of derringers being negligently discharged. One that comes to mind was a woman with a CCW whose derringer fell out of her holster while she was taking her pants down in the restroom. Hit the ground and fired, injuring someone.

They just don't seem safe to me, or effective, or even fun. I think cheap is all they have going for them, and that doesn't even apply to the bond arms .45/410.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    a woman with a CCW whose derringer fell out of her holster while she was taking her pants down in the restroom. Hit the ground and fired, injuring someone.

YOU BEEN HANGIN ROUND WALMART TO LONG DERRINGERS ROCK!!

pplofwalmart1.jpg

Last edited:

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    American Arms made the 38 and 357 and other caliber derringers that looked like a beefed up High Standard derringer. I had one last year I bought at a pawnshop and it was a great gun but I turned it over for a nice profit.
    These types are about the only derringer I consider carrying because you don't have to cock them to shoot and much easier to reload with a top latch and swing down barrels. Like what was stated above, try getting a NAA mini revolver into action after retrieval from your pocket and then cocking it to shoot. Reloading would be even more of pain in the ass.
    The Keltec, Rugers, taurus's, etc small auto are a heck of alot more user friendly and easier to shoot not to mention carry. Slip one into your back pocket and they weigh less than your wallet.

barnside

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Years ago, I shot an original Remington .41 rimfire derringer at an oak plank at about 10 feet. The bullets bounced off, without any penetration. That turned me off of derringers.
    Another BUG to consider is the Charter Arms Undercover in .38 special, or the Bulldog in 44 special. The Undercover is a bit smaller than the S&W J Frame.

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    Well in defense of derringers, if you have the hammer in the "safe" position and the safety engaged, you'd be a lot less likely of a discharge due to a drop. I can't say it COULDN'T happen; perhaps a rock could disengage the safe switch, etc., etc. But a lot of people keep a derringer with the hammer closed; since the firing pin sticks out in the closed position, a jolt (especially from a drop) would most likely make the weapon discharge and (of course I don't know but) I'd bet that is how the woman in the story kept hers. Keeping it in a holster that properly restrains the gun, with the hammer in safe position, and with the safety switch engaged would make the derringer a lot safer than they seem to be.

Another thing people misunderstand about them is the trigger pull; it's not a straight back pull. Apply a small bit of pressure then push downward, away from the barrel. It's really not that bad at all, especially after reading accounts of people bearing down on the trigger so hard that they break it off. After getting the hang of my 9mm derringer with a few dry-fires, I fired my only 2 shots and hit where I was aiming surprisingly accurately, one COM and one headshot at 15 feet.

All that said, I think derringers are a poor choice as a CCW or even a BUG with all the better options available. They're a neat novelty, and loaded with some shot would make a decent anti-snake sidearm for fishing.

Last edited:

barnside

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    I must confess that I do occasionally carry a N. A. Arms .22.
    Swami is correct its not much of a CCW or BUG gun. But, it does
    make a great BTN gun.
    (Better Than Nothing).

Top Bottom