Optic for a Remy 700 5R (Accusport 85201)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't have many optics to compare to, but I feel that the vortex recon is some of the clearest glass I've seen, my Trijicon tr24 is pretty clear, and better than my Miller dms1 but at twice the price if not 3 times. I have a vortex pst 6-24x50ffp and it's clearer than my primary arms 4-14x50 optic. But that's not apples to apples either. I did see a friends nightforce once and he glass and reticle was very very crisp.

John_

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 23, 2013
    Hammond, LA
    I have a Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56mm, 30 mm tube, with the yellow tritium dot. It is spectacular glass and if there is a little moon light out, it is very useful after dark. I spent approx $750 for it new 4 or 5 years ago.
    I also had a Trijicon TR24 1-4x24mm red triangle at one time, impressive too.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-accupoint-2-5-10x56-30mm-riflescope.html

Amazon is slightly cheaper on the Accupoints. There is also a model without the tritium but with a battery powered reticle...slightly cheaper. The tritium powered has a finite life span. Trijicon advertises a useful life of 15 years. I really pleased with my Accupoint 2.5x10x56mm.

Last edited:

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    There's nothing good below 1K and even then you're just getting started. A used Vortex Gen1 or Bushnell Elite is where that gets you if you're lucky. Good glass you will hang on to, rifles will come and go.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Theres nothing good below 1K and even then you're just getting started. A used Vortex Gen1 or Bushnell Elite is where that gets you if you're lucky. Good glass you will hang on to, rifles will come and go.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Well...I'd have used an apostrophe in "Theres" but the point remains the same. OP, take a look at the Bushnell LRHS 4.5-18x44. It's decent glass that sounds like it will fit your purposes. Also, be sure you don't go cheap on the mount and rings. http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-store/bushnell-lrhs-3-12x44-g2h-1.html

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Just FYI, Sportoptics.com/Interstate Guns price matched Amazon on a Nikon for me last year. I did have to pay state tax since they are in LA, but it was a small price to support a sponsor. They were also able to recommend good rings in my price range.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Just FYI, Sportoptics.com/Interstate Guns price matched Amazon on a Nikon for me last year. I did have to pay state tax since they are in LA, but it was a small price to support a sponsor. They were also able to recommend good rings in my price range.

Small price to support a local ffl too. Dually noted

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    To OP:

What they all said. I personally LOVE my Vortex Viper PST that I picked up at Cabela's a while back for $450, but that was pure theft that I felt bad about after (forced them to match their online price since they had one in stock in store). It's got all the features for LONG range shooting or hunting which is what the rifle you have posted is made for IMO. Ironically I have it on a Savage 10PT-SR (also 5R rifled, but only 18" barrel) .308 right now which is incredibly accurate and fast enough with superformance 165 SST (or GMX) to hunt large game out to 700 yds with (assuming you can find a place).

Features and intended uses are more of what I look at now than brand or overall cost these days.

For example, now I'm looking at a Leupold VX-2 Ultralight in 2-7x28 to fit my CZ 527 in 7.62x39 for Louisiana deer stand hunting or stalking. Trying to keep this package lightweight and compact (which I probably wouldn't do with your 24" 8.25 lbs rifle). Doubtful I'd be stalking in really low light, so I don't NEED the biggest clearest glass or much magnification.

Not to plug shamelessly but I have a Generation II Springfield armory 4-14x56 FFP scope that is BDC for match .308 ammo (M1A/M14)...may fit the bill on your 5R. SUPER clear glass and very unique BDC reticle. It's listed on my Sendero SFII 7mm mag in the classifieds right now.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom