Optics for an AR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • automan71

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    New Iberia
    I'm almost finished my newest AR build....haven't had one since the last craze. Looking at either a 1-4 power variable scope, or a 4x ACOG (always wanted one) combined with RMR, or just the ACOG. A friend advised a 1-4 variable scope, but my argument is I'll probably only use 1 or 4 power...I don't see the need for the 2-3 power. I also like the simplicity/durability of the ACOG.

I see this build as a 0-200yd tool...I have other tools for other jobs, so I don't think I'd need more than 4x (just an initial thought). Also, kind of decided against a Eotech or aimpoint, because I'd like some magnification.

So, since I've been out of the AR game a while, what do y'all use? I'd like opinions from others who have or do use one, the other or both.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I've tried the red dots, red dots with magnification (this was the worst) higher mag optics (2.5-10 power) and have settled on 1-4 for close to mid range rifles (sbr's) and 1-6 on my 16" and longer guns, my AR10 has a 1-6 on it, just spend the money and buy quality glass

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    200 and in if you just want to hit a torso then a red dot will do that with ease. A Trijicon RMR or an Aimpoint Micro would be my choice. If you want precision then a quality 1-4 or 1-6 is what I would go with. I have a Vortex 1-6 and besides it being a bit on the heavy side I like it. If you want to run dual I have not used this but a 1-4 or 1-6 on top with a RMR on this mount would be cool http://warnescopemounts.com/product/ramp30-team-warne-30mm-tactical-1-pc/.

Last edited:

Seadonist

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    River Ridge,LA
    I had an ACOG Ecos with an RMR on top on my previous AR, and it was a sweet setup, but I'm currently building a new one and I'm going with a Vortex 1-4 power and mounting an RMR on top. Trijicon offers an RMR mount ring that attaches to this scope. I liked the ACOG, but it's a fixed magnification scope that's more than twice the price of the Vortex 1-4 power. Either way, you can't go wrong with either setup. Just have to decide if you want the ability to increase your magnification or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    How about a Trijicon accupower? I think they have the same reticles available as the acog. I have an accupoint tr24 that's pretty darn clear

Primary_Machine

We Know Custom
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2015
    Morgan City, LA
    ACOG TA31. One of my personal ones:

Y2X2eCh.jpg

bigsk

Iconoclast
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In your price range there are a few options for a 1-4x42 scope then add a mini-reflex on top. Vortex Viper PST, Sig Sauer Tango 4, Burris MTAC. Then add a Burris Fastfire, J-Point, Sig Romeo or similar. Another way to go is with a fixed 3 or 4 power with the mini-reflex. I use a Trijicon TA01NSN 4x with a J-Point on top for the short to mid-range stuff. You could go up in your budget and get a bigger selection.....

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I agree with you that the 4x is probably the best (for me) all around. I started out 40 years ago with a 3x-9x Redfield (and still have it) but usually just left it on 4x. As I was building AR's for the wife and kids I tried out an Aimpoint, Eotech, ACOG, Cmore, and various small 4x scopes. Have also tried a SS 10x42 on my M1A. Favorite is the 4x ACOG, with the Cmore running a close second for a red dot with backup iron sights built in. Gratuitous photos added just for fun. (Click on photos to see them larger)

DSC_0200.jpg DSC_0361.jpg DSCN6098.jpg View attachment 60768 View attachment 60769

Last edited:

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have an acog on my Scar 16...im thinking I want a variable power optic as well. Its just nice to know that the acog is built like a brick **** house. I guess Ill have to get a VCOG.
    e5C7hKr.jpg

Last edited:

gunz4me

Target Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Lafayette
    I'm currently torn between a Leupold MK VI and an ACOG for my 300 AAC... I really like the mini ACOG that I have, and I prefer the Aimpoint to the EOTech. Now with the EOTech mess going on, I'm undecided as to if I want to keep mine or send it in for a "refund" even though I have yet to hear of anyone actually receiving a refund.

lattin1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Red dot magnifiers are for the birds. Check out the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24. I just put one on my 6.8 and love it. I have an ACOG as well but I honestly like the Vortex better. The ACOG is indestructible, the illuminated reticle will never run out of batteries, and the optics are insanely clear but the eye relief sucks and it costs $1000. The Vortex obviously has more magnification along with extremely clear optics but what sets it apart IMO is it has way better eye relief, an illuminated reticle on a second focal plane, and even with a $200 mount it still comes in at half the cost of the ACOG.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Red dot magnifiers are for the birds. Check out the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24. I just put one on my 6.8 and love it. I have an ACOG as well but I honestly like the Vortex better. The ACOG is indestructible, the illuminated reticle will never run out of batteries, and the optics are insanely clear but the eye relief sucks and it costs $1000. The Vortex obviously has more magnification along with extremely clear optics but what sets it apart IMO is it has way better eye relief, an illuminated reticle on a second focal plane, and even with a $200 mount it still comes in at half the cost of the ACOG.
    Now if they would only offer a reticle that didn't suck.

Sent via telegraph with the same fingers I use to sip whiskey.

CajunUSMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012

I agree!

Top Bottom