Optics for Night Hog Hunting

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhans504

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    So I'm putting together a 300 BLK for some night hog hunting next year and I need some help with the choice of optics. I've got an extra flashlight laying around (Surefire 6P clone) that I was going to put a green lens on cause I can't afford night vision. Not sure how that's going to work, but I guess I'll find out. That being said, I don't plan on shooting more than 100 yards and I'd like to limit the spending to $300 if possible. Suggestion/Recommendations? :help:

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Why optics? Mepro night sights would be better in my oppinion. If you do go with optics I would look for an amber reticle, red makes it hard to see past the dot, green Im sure would "ghost out" with a green lense on your flashlight. Meprolight makes an M21 reflex sight that is offered in a few different amber reticles. However you may need to find one used to get it for $300.

jhans504

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Well, I guess I just assumed people would recommend something around a 4x illuminated scope. I had not considered night sights, but that's definitely something to consider.
    As for the light, I forgot to mention, I have a red lens as well; but from what I've read green seems to be the way to go. I'll probably end up experimenting with both.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm running a Vortex scope and an ND-3 sub zero target designator. It seems like it's gonna work, but due to the law changing for a mere 2 weeks, I didn't have a chance to test it out. Now I have to wait until March.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    These guys make some good lights that I have used for night hunting.

http://www.feederlights.com/

These are going to be a little more expensive than your price tag but they are some great lasers.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lase...ts&Ntt=laser&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lase...=0&Ntt=laser&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

If you are going to set up a feeder or something you can take a regular stand up two flood light shop light and paint the lenses red and use that if you can get power. I have used a set up like that and it worked pretty good. Obviously that is not mobile though unless you convert it or something.

Just curious, where are you planning on hunting? I have not did a night hunt yet in Louisiana but I was thinking that you could only use a shotgun. I have not read up on the night time louisiana laws though since I do most of my hunting in North Alabama.

Last edited:

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    From March 1st to Aug 31st, it's open game on hogs. Do whatever you want to kill them, but if you're gonna do it at night, call the local Sheriff's office at least 24 hours in advance to inform them, just in case they get calls for shots being fired, they'll know that you're out there.

The ND-3 laser that I have is for 40* or lower, and is 30mm, anything more just gives you a range that you probably shouldn't be using to kill anything at night anyway.

Last edited:

jhans504

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Ryan, how do you like the Vortex scope? What make/model/power do you run? I've seen the ND-3 and read good things. The current plan is to mount a flashlight with green lens. If that doesn't work, I may end up going the ND-3 route.

WH, I'll probably end up getting a couple lights for the feeder as well, in an effort to get the little bastards used to being lit. Will probably try some Harbor Freight solar flood lights first, in green of course. If that doesn't work those LEDs in your link look pretty tempting.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 with the EBR-1 MOA reticle. It's mounted on my LWRC M6A3, with a Trijicon quick release. I like it a lot, finally zeroed it for 300yds the other day, although it seems that my skill in shooting has deminished during my 10yr hiatus.

Top Bottom